Posted to alt.home.repair
MLS MLS is offline

Default Appliance Hose Connections

We recently bought a new wash machine. The installers could not remove the hoses
from the faucets, seems they maybe limed on. The installers suggested a plumber
with a torch may be able to remove the hoses. I have applied WD-40 many times to
no avail. Can someone suggest a way to loosen these hose connections without
having to resort to an expensive plumber?
Thanks for any help...

--
Mary

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 7:15*am, "MLS" wrote:
We recently bought a new wash machine. The installers could not remove the hoses
from the faucets, seems they maybe limed on. The installers suggested a plumber
with a torch may be able to remove the hoses. I have applied WD-40 many times to
no avail. Can someone suggest a way to loosen these hose connections without
having to resort to an expensive plumber?
Thanks for any help...

--
Mary

Depends; if all the plumbing is plastic then force may not be your
friend, but if it is metal, a sharp smack to a vicegrip on the hose
nut would likely loosen it.
Even if the plumbing isn't up to impact you can put a second vicegrip
on the hose bib so you can absorb the blow with your other hand,
assuming there is room.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 7:15*am, "MLS" wrote:
We recently bought a new wash machine. The installers could not remove the hoses
from the faucets, seems they maybe limed on. The installers suggested a plumber
with a torch may be able to remove the hoses. I have applied WD-40 many times to
no avail. Can someone suggest a way to loosen these hose connections without
having to resort to an expensive plumber?
Thanks for any help...

--
Mary

Faucet faces down, maybe a few drops of Lime away might get down the
threads and loosen it. There are strap wrenches that might give enough
grip without ruining the hose fitting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MLS" wrote:

We recently bought a new wash machine. The installers could not remove the hoses
from the faucets, seems they maybe limed on. The installers suggested a plumber
with a torch may be able to remove the hoses. I have applied WD-40 many times to
no avail. Can someone suggest a way to loosen these hose connections without
having to resort to an expensive plumber?
Thanks for any help...

If it is lime then vinegar [or if you are real adventurous a little
muriatic acid] will be more effective than wd40.

Can't see it from here- but if it was mine, I'd hold the valve
securely and have at it with a pair of channel lock Grip-locks .

http://www.channellock.com/acb/store...&Category_ID=7
If they failed I'd get the vice grips out. [and in both cases, though
I'm a big fan of cheap tools- you'll save yourself a lot of headaches
with the real thing]

With the vice grips you want to tighten them down enough to
ever-so-slightly deform the hose connection. Try to turn- rotate the
vice grips to grab at 90degrees from the first try- and try again.
I imagine you've got it off by now- but if you don't- now try to run
some more vinegar in there- and go sip a cold drink for an hour or so.

If it still doesn't come off- see how hard it will be to replace that
valve because it has been there too long and is likely to be the next
thing to go.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Feb 2, 7:15 am, "MLS" wrote:
We recently bought a new wash machine. The installers could not remove the hoses
from the faucets, seems they maybe limed on. The installers suggested a plumber
with a torch may be able to remove the hoses. I have applied WD-40 many times to
no avail. Can someone suggest a way to loosen these hose connections without
having to resort to an expensive plumber?
Thanks for any help...

--
Mary

Faucet faces down, maybe a few drops of Lime away might get down the
threads and loosen it. There are strap wrenches that might give enough
grip without ruining the hose fitting.

Hi,
Lime?
Soak with CLR and use channel lock wrench.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 08:15:05 -0500, MLS wrote:

We recently bought a new wash machine. The installers could not remove
the hoses from the faucets, seems they maybe limed on. The installers
suggested a plumber with a torch may be able to remove the hoses. I have
applied WD-40 many times to no avail. Can someone suggest a way to
loosen these hose connections without having to resort to an expensive
plumber? Thanks for any help...

Question for Experts:

Is WD-40 a similar product to Liquid Wrench? I thought WD-40 was for
lubrication, while Liquid Wrench was what would be called for in cases
like this. (If hoses of OP's problem are metal threaded connectors.)

(This is based on a plumber needing to open a 3 inch sewer clean-out who
disdainfully remarked on the use of WD-40 for rusted black iron pip.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phil Again" wrote in message Question for
Experts:

Is WD-40 a similar product to Liquid Wrench? I thought WD-40 was for
lubrication, while Liquid Wrench was what would be called for in cases
like this. (If hoses of OP's problem are metal threaded connectors.)

(This is based on a plumber needing to open a 3 inch sewer clean-out who
disdainfully remarked on the use of WD-40 for rusted black iron pip.)

WD-40 is to displace water.That is what the WD is for.

It is also good for moles, colds, and tight assholes.

If you need to loosen tight and rusted bolts you need a penetrating oil.
Kroil is the best that I have used.

http://www.kanolabs.com/

We use it by the case where I work.

If something needs lubercating find the correct oil for the application.

Guess that you can tell that I have no use for WD-40. I have not had the
need to give it a try for the origional application.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phil Again wrote:
On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 08:15:05 -0500, MLS wrote:

We recently bought a new wash machine. The installers could not remove
the hoses from the faucets, seems they maybe limed on. The installers
suggested a plumber with a torch may be able to remove the hoses. I have
applied WD-40 many times to no avail. Can someone suggest a way to
loosen these hose connections without having to resort to an expensive
plumber? Thanks for any help...

Question for Experts:

Is WD-40 a similar product to Liquid Wrench? I thought WD-40 was for
lubrication,

WD40 is not a lubricant. The WD means "Water Displacement" which is the
intended use. It has light aromatics that quickly evaporate and leave
a gummy residue. One of the best ways to ruin stuff is to "lubricate"
them with WD40.

while Liquid Wrench was what would be called for in cases
like this. (If hoses of OP's problem are metal threaded connectors.)

(This is based on a plumber needing to open a 3 inch sewer clean-out who
disdainfully remarked on the use of WD-40 for rusted black iron pip.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 2, 1:42*pm, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
[...]

I agree, Kroil is good and so is Wuerth Rost Off (likely only found at
a German car parts store though.) If neither of those are available
PB Blaster or Seafoam Deep Creep are still preferable to WD-40.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
[...]

All you wanted to know about WD-40 that is worth knowing:
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message
[...]

Ditto on the Kroil and PB Blaster....Good stuff....

Posted to alt.home.repair

MLS wrote:
We recently bought a new wash machine. The installers could not remove the hoses
from the faucets, seems they maybe limed on. The installers suggested a plumber
with a torch may be able to remove the hoses. I have applied WD-40 many times to
no avail. Can someone suggest a way to loosen these hose connections without
having to resort to an expensive plumber?
Thanks for any help...

channel lock pliers. i guarantee they'll come off. Might want to kill
the supply incase you twist the entire valve off.

steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

MLS wrote:
We recently bought a new wash machine. The installers could not remove the hoses
from the faucets, seems they maybe limed on. The installers suggested a plumber
with a torch may be able to remove the hoses. I have applied WD-40 many times to
no avail. Can someone suggest a way to loosen these hose connections without
having to resort to an expensive plumber?
Thanks for any help...

Remember when you go back with the new stuff.... A little automotive
antisieze compound goes a long ways in this area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phil Again wrote:
On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 08:15:05 -0500, MLS wrote:

We recently bought a new wash machine. The installers could not remove
the hoses from the faucets, seems they maybe limed on. The installers
suggested a plumber with a torch may be able to remove the hoses. I have
applied WD-40 many times to no avail. Can someone suggest a way to
loosen these hose connections without having to resort to an expensive
plumber? Thanks for any help...

Question for Experts:

Is WD-40 a similar product to Liquid Wrench? I thought WD-40 was for
lubrication, while Liquid Wrench was what would be called for in cases
like this. (If hoses of OP's problem are metal threaded connectors.)

(This is based on a plumber needing to open a 3 inch sewer clean-out who
disdainfully remarked on the use of WD-40 for rusted black iron pip.)

WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. NOR is it a rust buster.. It is a water
displacement product. Nothing more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker TB wrote:

-snip-

WD-40 is NOT a lubricant.

Yes it is.

NOR is it a rust buster..

And it also does that

It is a water displacement product.

That's what it was developed to do.
http://www.snopes.com/business/names/wd40.asp

Nothing more.

But it does a bunch of other stuff, too. Some things better than
others-- and some things better than any other product.
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

I doubt that it is lime that is causing it to stick. More likely corrosion.
If the spigot is copper and the hose fitting steel it will corrode due to
the electrolysis between the two metals. Keep at it with the wd-40 or some
other chemical that can help penetrate and then use channel-locks,
vice-grips or a small pipe wrench to work it loose. Don't be afraid to try
tightening it a bit as well. Sometimes it will break loose this way easier
and then back off with a little elbow grease!

"MLS" wrote in message
We recently bought a new wash machine. The installers could not remove the
hoses from the faucets, seems they maybe limed on. The installers
suggested a plumber with a torch may be able to remove the hoses. I have
applied WD-40 many times to no avail. Can someone suggest a way to loosen
these hose connections without having to resort to an expensive plumber?
Thanks for any help...

--
Mary

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 08:15:05 -0500, "MLS" wrote:

We recently bought a new wash machine. The installers could not remove the hoses
from the faucets, seems they maybe limed on. The installers suggested a plumber
with a torch may be able to remove the hoses. I have applied WD-40 many times to
no avail. Can someone suggest a way to loosen these hose connections without
having to resort to an expensive plumber?
Thanks for any help...

Haven't got time to read the whole thread, but try tightening the
connection a bit too. If it moves at all, that will be good all
around.

And Liquid WRench is much better for this than WD-40. Put it on and
follow the directions which say to hit the thing with something hard,
to set up vibrations and let it sit.

Might try like Channel-Lock pliers, the ones that have curved jaws, to
get a grip on more than two points.

I suppose you can even try a hacksaw on the metal fittings. Don't saw
into the faucet.

When you get new you're supposed to turn the faicets off every time
you finish using the machine for the day, but if you don't do that,
at least get woven stainless steel clad hoses.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 05:52:32 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Feb 2, 7:15*am, "MLS" wrote:
We recently bought a new wash machine. The installers could not remove the hoses
from the faucets, seems they maybe limed on. The installers suggested a plumber
with a torch may be able to remove the hoses. I have applied WD-40 many times to
no avail. Can someone suggest a way to loosen these hose connections without
having to resort to an expensive plumber?
Thanks for any help...

--
Mary

Faucet faces down, maybe a few drops of Lime away might get down the
threads and loosen it. There are strap wrenches that might give enough
grip without ruining the hose fitting.

Ruin the hose fitting. He should be getting new hoses at this stage.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 08:15:05 -0500, "MLS" wrote:

We recently bought a new wash machine. The installers could not remove the hoses
from the faucets, seems they maybe limed on. The installers suggested a plumber
with a torch may be able to remove the hoses. I have applied WD-40 many times to
no avail. Can someone suggest a way to loosen these hose connections without
having to resort to an expensive plumber?
Thanks for any help...

BTW, when I said hack saw, I meant to saw diagonally, or parallel to
the hose if possible, so that you sould be cutting the entire width of
the circumference. And don't saw far enogh to damage the faucet.
Your just trying to weaken the the hose part that screws on.

But this is probably the last technique I would use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A lot depends on the type of valve that is there. If it's
brass, then two pair of channel locks are appropriate. One
pair on the faucet, to help keep the faucet from turning.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus