Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Garden hose connections

On 5/6/2014 1:18 PM, Dan.Espen wrote:
writes:

On 6 May 2014 13:22:47 GMT, KenK wrote:

How can I keep garden hose connections usable? After a year or two, the
connections are corroded and impossible to unscrew, even using WD-40 or
other freeing chemicals.

Is there something I can smear on them to keep them operating freely?

TIA

We have well water here that is tough on metal. I usually cut the
connectors off and replace them with plastic as soon as they start
getting nasty.

Best answer so far.

I find the plastic connectors are pretty cheap, don't corrode and
get hard to open, and seal well. It's really easy to just cut off
the old connector and clamp on a plastic one.

They also make those quick connect things, but the few I've had
have been a bit difficult to operate.

I've replaced hose fittings with new plastic, which I consider junk. My
new-last-year yard has taken a lot of work in landscaping and caring for
artificial pond. Our water has a huge amount of iron, and when the
outdoor connection (on hose reel) leaked a lot, the connections got
pretty nasty. I took off the reel-to-faucet connector, soaked the
fittings in CLR, and....voila! Then, for that particular PIA, I'm going
to put it on quick connects and seal them up with silicone caulk. I
have 100' of hose to haul around for various projects, and I am
meticulous in making sure I don't screw together any fittings with sand
on or in them; those don't leak.

After I get the veggie garden planted, I'll be making some concrete
stepping stones shaped like grape leaves, and put a few along the
concrete edging I make for flower beds. Google maps will think there is
a Jack-in-the-beanstalk down here ;o)