Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood exterior doors?

Are these common any more? Looking online, it would seem not. Not that I
want one but... I am getting new roofing soon and will have to have no
soffit put in and that will require painting. Since I want the house to be
more of a yellow, rather than the bleh color it now is (too dark to be
white, too light to be beige), I thought I might get a new door as well.
Lowe's seems to sell mostly Fiberglass and steel. I currently have steel
but it's old and crappy looking. I got a really nice white storm door last
year and was thinking that it might look good with a white door as well. Or
even a red one. Not sure the exact color I want the house but something in
a pale yellow tone. Perhaps with a hint of gold or peach. Depends on what
roofing I get. The roofer gave me a sample of Prairie Wood which is a
lighter brown with copper flecks. I love it but it would appear that it
isn't algae-proof and I for sure want that. I did check their website and
unless they did not update it, it's not. Because I love the colors.

Anyway... I was talking with someone about doors and she insisted that of
course they still sell wood doors. I only saw interior ones or the kind
that are mostly glass with wood surrounding. I did find real wood doors for
sale at various places but they appeared to be custom and were in the
thousands of dollars.

I suspect that what this person thinks are wood are really fiberglass made
to look like wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 May 2014 19:09:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

[...]

I'm in the Mojave Desert. I'd avoid wood and fiberglass doors. I
prefer the steel doors. In my case steel is better due to the amount
of heat my front door gets in summer afternoons (115°F) many days.
Direct from the west.

Consider heavy rains on wood doors. Fiberglass can warp in some areas.

Think about the weather, conditions and how well a wood door is
finished.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm... The info. on the Lowe's website said that Fiberglass holds up the
best as steel can warp. I thought that odd as I don't think I've ever seen
a warped one. We don't get a lot of sun or heat here but it can get quite
damp. But we also have the really good storm door and that would keep the
rain off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can paint your steel door. There are also
plenty of wood options. In addition to the prehung,
expensive, decorative options, nearly all lumber
yards can get standard wood doors. They just don't
keep them in stock. When I need something like that
I look at a catalog from Brosco. All lumber yards near
me can get all Brosco items in 2-3 days. They're the
standard for moldings, doors, windows, etc. If there
isn't Brosco near you there's probably another
company. any carpenter should be able to tell you
and should have a catalog.

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
| Are these common any more? Looking online, it would seem not. Not that I
| want one but... I am getting new roofing soon and will have to have no
| soffit put in and that will require painting. Since I want the house to
be
| more of a yellow, rather than the bleh color it now is (too dark to be
| white, too light to be beige), I thought I might get a new door as well.
| Lowe's seems to sell mostly Fiberglass and steel. I currently have steel
| but it's old and crappy looking. I got a really nice white storm door
last
| year and was thinking that it might look good with a white door as well.
Or
| even a red one. Not sure the exact color I want the house but something
in
| a pale yellow tone. Perhaps with a hint of gold or peach. Depends on
what
| roofing I get. The roofer gave me a sample of Prairie Wood which is a
| lighter brown with copper flecks. I love it but it would appear that it
| isn't algae-proof and I for sure want that. I did check their website and
| unless they did not update it, it's not. Because I love the colors.
|
| Anyway... I was talking with someone about doors and she insisted that of
| course they still sell wood doors. I only saw interior ones or the kind
| that are mostly glass with wood surrounding. I did find real wood doors
for
| sale at various places but they appeared to be custom and were in the
| thousands of dollars.
|
| I suspect that what this person thinks are wood are really fiberglass made
| to look like wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Solid wooden door will cost. My daughter's reno'd house built in the
1920's has all original doors redone, all solid exotic wood weighing
a ton each. I heard they are very valuable. My house has all steel with
wood core exterior doors with Al thresholds plus mostly glass storm
door. Also it matters which way the entrance faces, South is hard on
doors(hot sun and UV exposure)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mayayana" wrote in message
You can paint your steel door. There are also
plenty of wood options. In addition to the prehung,
expensive, decorative options, nearly all lumber
yards can get standard wood doors. They just don't
keep them in stock. When I need something like that
I look at a catalog from Brosco. All lumber yards near
me can get all Brosco items in 2-3 days. They're the
standard for moldings, doors, windows, etc. If there
isn't Brosco near you there's probably another
company. any carpenter should be able to tell you
and should have a catalog.

I know I can paint it. I just want a new one. The idiots that owned this
house did all sorts of wrong things, including starting to drill a hole
(perhaps for a peep hole) in this door. They must have been very short to
have drilled it there. We also need a new knob and deadbolt. They are old
and we have trouble opening them.

I also don't want a wood door. I just don't think they're as widely
available as they once were. This person laughed when I said Lowes doesn't
carry them. She didn't believe me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I think ours faces west but I am bad with directions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 May 2014 23:09:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Mayayana" wrote in message
You can paint your steel door. There are also
plenty of wood options. In addition to the prehung,
expensive, decorative options, nearly all lumber
yards can get standard wood doors. They just don't
keep them in stock. When I need something like that
I look at a catalog from Brosco. All lumber yards near
me can get all Brosco items in 2-3 days. They're the
standard for moldings, doors, windows, etc. If there
isn't Brosco near you there's probably another
company. any carpenter should be able to tell you
and should have a catalog.

I know I can paint it. I just want a new one. The idiots that owned this
house did all sorts of wrong things, including starting to drill a hole
(perhaps for a peep hole) in this door. They must have been very short to
have drilled it there.

Not necessarily. They may have wanted one everybody could use.
Next owners, house sitters, visitors.

I'm only 5'8 and I needed a peephole and drilled it for people shorter
than I, for that very reason. But I look at it now and realize I
still didn't make it low enough. If the next owner is 5'0, she'll have
a lot of trouble using it.

We also need a new knob and deadbolt. They are old
and we have trouble opening them.

WD-40. Or maybe graphite.

I also don't want a wood door. I just don't think they're as widely
available as they once were. This person laughed when I said Lowes doesn't
carry them. She didn't believe me.

I don't believe it either.

BTW, my threshold has a groove in it from one side to the other, not
very noticeable because it opens towards the inside of the house. And
the door bottom has metal trim on it that goes inside the groove, from
one side to the other. No outside air entering the house there. The
other 3 sides are just springy copper like I'm used to for all my life,
but the threshhold is really something.

Whereever the sun sets is west or southwest if you live in North
America.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 May 2014 04:23:16 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

Thanks! I would not want a window. But I would get either Fiberglass or
steel. I was just wondering about the wood ones. I did not think they were
common any more but the person I was talking to seemed to think that they
were.

What's "common?" I bought a wooden door Saturday.
Replacing the garage entry, which is falling apart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thanks! I would not want a window. But I would get either Fiberglass or
steel. I was just wondering about the wood ones. I did not think they were
common any more but the person I was talking to seemed to think that they
were.

What's "common?" I bought a wooden door Saturday.
Replacing the garage entry, which is falling apart.

Why did you choose wood?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thanks! I would not want a window. But I would get either Fiberglass or
steel. I was just wondering about the wood ones. I did not think they were
common any more but the person I was talking to seemed to think that they
were.

What's "common?" I bought a wooden door Saturday.
Replacing the garage entry, which is falling apart.

Why did you choose wood?

Because I didn't have to "special order" it. It was sitting there at
the store. I can just cut a couple inches off the bottom and mortise
in the hinges. It has the knob and latch holes already cut.
It's primed and only needs a finish coat. It's well constructed.
It cost 10 bucks.
The previous wood door lasted 55 years with no care from me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Are these common any more? Looking online, it would seem
not.

You must not have looked very far...
https://www.google.com/search?client...hannel=suggest

--

dadiOH
____________________________

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

| I know I can paint it. I just want a new one. The idiots that owned this
| house did all sorts of wrong things, including starting to drill a hole
| (perhaps for a peep hole) in this door.

I guess that's the biggest problem with steel doors.
They seal well, and they look OK when painted, but
they can't be worked. If you had a wood door already
then you wouldn't need a new one. You could just
patch the holes.

| I also don't want a wood door. I just don't think they're as widely
| available as they once were. This person laughed when I said Lowes
doesn't
| carry them. She didn't believe me.

You don't want a wood door but were just curious
whether you could get them? Lowes and HD can
order wood doors, just like normal lumber yards. They
have catalogs. (I was looking into bifolds recently and
found they had catalogs for some very expensive options.)
They just can't fit all that stuff on the
floor. They also don't generally market to high-end
or architects. The high-end fashion tends to be things
like solid mahogany doors or high quality painted wood
doors. The working class fashion tends to be things like
fiberglas doors with fake "exotic wood" grain and over-the
-top junky etched glass panels. The average DIY, landlord,
or low-end contractor who wants to replace a front door
is likely to want one of those gaudy numbers with the
etched-and-beveled glass sidelights and fake wood grain,
so that's what's in stock.

(I always find that kind of intriguing: The poor
always want to buy gaudy, gold-encrusted tokens of
royalty, while the rich try to show off by buying subtlety
and official "authenticity" from "exclusive" dealers. Working
class people buy crappy particle board dressers with
garish gold pulls, yuppies buy the same thing but with
"rosewood" veneer that's actually plastic laminate, and
no pulls. While the *real* sophisticates -- the Deconstructionist
architects -- want polyurethaned MDF because it's
"honest". They want to show off that they've conceptually
transcended fashion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/5/2014 7:37 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Are these common any more? Looking online, it would seem
not.

You must not have looked very far...
https://www.google.com/search?client...hannel=suggest

Julie doesn't go looking for stuff, she goes looking for attention.
Hence her posts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Are these common any more? Looking online, it would seem
not.

You must not have looked very far...
https://www.google.com/search?client...eid=ope ra&ie
=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

she doesn't use google: that's the absolute truth, she doesn't use
google.

she also seems to have problems with coming up with search terms

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Mayayana" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah. I did that to the one on the back house but this one is dented and
crappy looking. Would just like to replace it.

I also don't want a wood door. I just don't think they're as widely
available as they once were. This person laughed when I said Lowes
doesn't
carry them. She didn't believe me.

I don't believe it either.

I stand corrected! Although I don't see a category for wood doors, when I
went back again to look, I did see two cheap wood doors listed. Hmmm...
Oops!

BTW, my threshold has a groove in it from one side to the other, not
very noticeable because it opens towards the inside of the house. And
the door bottom has metal trim on it that goes inside the groove, from
one side to the other. No outside air entering the house there. The
other 3 sides are just springy copper like I'm used to for all my life,
but the threshhold is really something.

Whereever the sun sets is west or southwest if you live in North
America.

Yeah. Not sure where it sets. I guess I just don't pay attention.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 May 2014 10:13:05 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

You don't want a wood door but were just curious
whether you could get them? Lowes and HD can
order wood doors, just like normal lumber yards. They
have catalogs. (I was looking into bifolds recently and
found they had catalogs for some very expensive options.)
They just can't fit all that stuff on the
floor. They also don't generally market to high-end

I don't think 100 dollars is really high-end for wood sliding closet
doors, but HD couldn't even sell those. They marked the price down to
20 dollars a set, and I bought one. Two years and I haven't opened the
box since before I bought it. :-) But it's on my list of things to
do.

or architects. The high-end fashion tends to be things
like solid mahogany doors or high quality painted wood
doors. The working class fashion tends to be things like
fiberglas doors with fake "exotic wood" grain and over-the
-top junky etched glass panels. The average DIY, landlord,
or low-end contractor who wants to replace a front door
is likely to want one of those gaudy numbers with the
etched-and-beveled glass sidelights and fake wood grain,
so that's what's in stock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

(I always find that kind of intriguing: The poor
always want to buy gaudy, gold-encrusted tokens of
royalty, while the rich try to show off by buying subtlety
and official "authenticity" from "exclusive" dealers. Working
class people buy crappy particle board dressers with
garish gold pulls, yuppies buy the same thing but with
"rosewood" veneer that's actually plastic laminate, and
no pulls. While the *real* sophisticates -- the Deconstructionist
architects -- want polyurethaned MDF because it's
"honest". They want to show off that they've conceptually
transcended fashion.

I have a lot of real crap at my house. I guess t hat means I'm upper
class, huh?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mayayana" wrote in message
| I know I can paint it. I just want a new one. The idiots that owned
this
| house did all sorts of wrong things, including starting to drill a hole
| (perhaps for a peep hole) in this door.

I guess that's the biggest problem with steel doors.
They seal well, and they look OK when painted, but
they can't be worked. If you had a wood door already
then you wouldn't need a new one. You could just
patch the holes.

| I also don't want a wood door. I just don't think they're as widely
| available as they once were. This person laughed when I said Lowes
doesn't
| carry them. She didn't believe me.

You don't want a wood door but were just curious
whether you could get them? Lowes and HD can
order wood doors, just like normal lumber yards. They
have catalogs. (I was looking into bifolds recently and
found they had catalogs for some very expensive options.)
They just can't fit all that stuff on the
floor. They also don't generally market to high-end
or architects. The high-end fashion tends to be things
like solid mahogany doors or high quality painted wood
doors. The working class fashion tends to be things like
fiberglas doors with fake "exotic wood" grain and over-the
-top junky etched glass panels. The average DIY, landlord,
or low-end contractor who wants to replace a front door
is likely to want one of those gaudy numbers with the
etched-and-beveled glass sidelights and fake wood grain,
so that's what's in stock.

(I always find that kind of intriguing: The poor
always want to buy gaudy, gold-encrusted tokens of
royalty, while the rich try to show off by buying subtlety
and official "authenticity" from "exclusive" dealers. Working
class people buy crappy particle board dressers with
garish gold pulls, yuppies buy the same thing but with
"rosewood" veneer that's actually plastic laminate, and
no pulls. While the *real* sophisticates -- the Deconstructionist
architects -- want polyurethaned MDF because it's
"honest". They want to show off that they've conceptually
transcended fashion.

I do stand corrected on this. When I looked again, Lowes does have a couple
of cheap wood doors listed but there is no category for wood exterior doors.

All of our dressers are wood although mine has a veneer. My dad bought it
for me when I was a baby. He bought it used from a hotel that was selling
their old stuff. It was purported to be 30 years old when he got it. I'll
be 55 next month. The veneer is chipping off in some places though. I have
two other wood ones that were purchased used on Cape Cod. Some guy just
outside of the military base sells old furniture that he has refinished.
Daughter is the only one who got new furniture. Buttercream colored sleigh
bed and small chest of drawers. Of course she picked the most expensive
things in the shop. My parents bought these for her and they let her do it.
She was 4. Now of course she wants something else. I knew this would
happen. I did the same thing. But my White French Provincial stuff had
been kept in such good shape that I managed to sell several pieces for the
price that was paid years prior for the whole set. So win win there.

We're not rich and we're not poor. I do love fancy stuff but I don't
usually buy it. I do like quality though and this house is not quality.
Used to be that Zillow.com listed a number for quality of construction with
10 being the best. This house was a 4. I did look up various things at
Lowes and Home Depot. When this house was built and remodeled, they put in
the lowest priced things throughout. And it shows.

So... We are slowly redoing what we can when we can afford to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 May 2014 11:59:17 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Are these common any more? Looking online, it would seem
not.

You must not have looked very far...
https://www.google.com/search?client...eid=ope ra&ie
=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

she doesn't use google: that's the absolute truth, she doesn't use
google.

she also seems to have problems with coming up with search terms

I think to search for search terms, use google.google.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thanks! I would not want a window. But I would get either Fiberglass or
steel. I was just wondering about the wood ones. I did not think they
were
common any more but the person I was talking to seemed to think that they
were.

What's "common?" I bought a wooden door Saturday.
Replacing the garage entry, which is falling apart.

I guess I don't know what common is but... I sold building supplies in the
70's and the only doors that we had were wood. We also sold wood and faux
wood paneling. Also melamine paneling. I would say that those things used
to be common but they went the way of the wind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Are these common any more? Looking online, it would seem
not.

You must not have looked very far...
https://www.google.com/search?client...hannel=suggest

As I said in other replies, I was wrong. When I looked at Lowes, I did not
see a category for wood doors. They do in fact have them. Not a lot but
they're there. I stand corrected.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Are these common any more? Looking online, it would seem
not.

You must not have looked very far...
https://www.google.com/search?client...hannel=suggest

Julie doesn't go looking for stuff, she goes looking for attention. Hence
her posts.

Uh... No. As I said, I was wrong. They do not have a category for wood
exterior doors at Lowes. And that led me to believe that they did not have
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote in message
In article , "dadiOH"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Are these common any more? Looking online, it would seem
not.

You must not have looked very far...
https://www.google.com/search?client...eid=ope ra&ie
=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

she doesn't use google: that's the absolute truth, she doesn't use
google.

she also seems to have problems with coming up with search terms

You are correct. I don't use google.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| I do stand corrected on this. When I looked again, Lowes does have a
couple
| of cheap wood doors listed but there is no category for wood exterior
doors.

You didn't distinguish between slabs and prehung.
They may not have prehung, but any 1 3/4 slab should
be exterior grade. They have those on the shelf. It
sounds like that's what Vic Smith bought.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| I don't think 100 dollars is really high-end for wood sliding closet
| doors, but HD couldn't even sell those. They marked the price down to
| 20 dollars a set, and I bought one. Two years and I haven't opened the
| box since before I bought it. :-)

I know that feeling. Things one can't afford not
to buy, even if they're useless. At some point the
price itself seems like a great bargain.

I remember one day being
in Zayre's (a cheap dept store, now extinct) when
3rd brake lights came into fashion. They were selling
them cheap for retrofitting old cars. A man behind
me in line was holding 5 of them (the limit per customer)
and was so delighted with the deal that he couldn't
resist sharing his enthusiasm with me. What a deal!
I asked with surprise if he actually had 5 cars to put
the lights in. His face went blank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

https://www.google.com/search?client...urceid=ope ra
&ie
=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

she doesn't use google: that's the absolute truth, she doesn't use
google.

she also seems to have problems with coming up with search terms

You are correct. I don't use google.

whatever you use, you don't use it well
Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I think sun sets that direction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thanks! I would not want a window. But I would get either Fiberglass or
steel. I was just wondering about the wood ones. I did not think they were
common any more but the person I was talking to seemed to think that they
were.

What's "common?" I bought a wooden door Saturday.
Replacing the garage entry, which is falling apart.

Hi,
Door to enter the garage from outside? If from inside
isn't that fire code violation?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 May 2014 16:52:57 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

I think ours faces west but I am bad with directions.

Hi,
I think sun sets that direction.

It does on my neighborhood and in all places I've lived.
Some say the sun rises over the UK before I see it. That is east of
me. I bet Alaska is interesting at midnight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I think ours faces west but I am bad with directions.

Hi,
I think sun sets that direction.

It does on my neighborhood and in all places I've lived.
Some say the sun rises over the UK before I see it. That is east of
me. I bet Alaska is interesting at midnight.

Only during certain times of the year and depending on where you are in AK.

Real pretty when the Northern Lights are in full dance mode.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I think ours faces west but I am bad with directions.

Hi,
I think sun sets that direction.

It does on my neighborhood and in all places I've lived.
Some say the sun rises over the UK before I see it. That is east of
me. I bet Alaska is interesting at midnight.

Only during certain times of the year and depending on where you are in AK.

Real pretty when the Northern Lights are in full dance mode.

I've seen the Northern Lights as far south as southern Nevada. Didn't
know at the moment. It was beautiful in the night. Found out the next
day reading about it in the local news. Fascinating.

My only experience. It was at work and I was listening to the coyotes
at night. Kewl stuff...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mayayana" wrote in message
| I don't think 100 dollars is really high-end for wood sliding closet
| doors, but HD couldn't even sell those. They marked the price down to
| 20 dollars a set, and I bought one. Two years and I haven't opened the
| box since before I bought it. :-)

I know that feeling. Things one can't afford not
to buy, even if they're useless. At some point the
price itself seems like a great bargain.

I remember one day being
in Zayre's (a cheap dept store, now extinct) when
3rd brake lights came into fashion. They were selling
them cheap for retrofitting old cars. A man behind
me in line was holding 5 of them (the limit per customer)
and was so delighted with the deal that he couldn't
resist sharing his enthusiasm with me. What a deal!
I asked with surprise if he actually had 5 cars to put
the lights in. His face went blank.

Yeah. I know people who do stuff like that all the time!

I realize that hand held hair dryers have been around for some time. I saw
an episode of Leave it to Beaver where Beaver was using one but... They
didn't become popular until the 70's and then they were pretty expensive.
Somewhere along the line, the price dropped to around $5 and now they have
since gone up in price again as they changed the features to them although
you can still get cheap ones. Anyway... When they were cheap, my dad
couldn't believe the deal he got so he bought tons. He was giving them away
to anyone and everyone that stopped by the house. Finally my friend (after
being offered one umpteen times) told my dad that anyone could buy them for
that price. And that was the end of that!

I am also reminded of countless couponers who get things for cheap or free
just because they can. One the one episode of Extreme Couponing, the teen
boy gets sanitary napkins announcing that he doesn't know what they are but
it doesn't matter because they are free!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mayayana" wrote in message
| I do stand corrected on this. When I looked again, Lowes does have a
couple
| of cheap wood doors listed but there is no category for wood exterior
doors.

You didn't distinguish between slabs and prehung.
They may not have prehung, but any 1 3/4 slab should
be exterior grade. They have those on the shelf. It
sounds like that's what Vic Smith bought.

I didn't really look to see what they were because I am not interested. I
just wanted to correct my error in saying that they didn't sell them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thanks! I would not want a window. But I would get either Fiberglass
or
steel. I was just wondering about the wood ones. I did not think they
were
common any more but the person I was talking to seemed to think that
they
were.

What's "common?" I bought a wooden door Saturday.
Replacing the garage entry, which is falling apart.

Hi,
Door to enter the garage from outside? If from inside
isn't that fire code violation?

What? The door from the inside made of wood would be a fire code violation?
If so, I think we are violating!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 May 2014 09:13:17 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| I don't think 100 dollars is really high-end for wood sliding closet
| doors, but HD couldn't even sell those. They marked the price down to
| 20 dollars a set, and I bought one. Two years and I haven't opened the
| box since before I bought it. :-)

I know that feeling. Things one can't afford not
to buy, even if they're useless. At some point the
price itself seems like a great bargain.

No, I do need them. To replace the crummy bifold doors that the hall
closet has. It's just that they're down on the list and the list is
moving slowly.

I remember one day being
in Zayre's (a cheap dept store, now extinct) when

I remember Zayre's.

3rd brake lights came into fashion. They were selling
them cheap for retrofitting old cars. A man behind
me in line was holding 5 of them (the limit per customer)
and was so delighted with the deal that he couldn't
resist sharing his enthusiasm with me. What a deal!
I asked with surprise if he actually had 5 cars to put
the lights in. His face went blank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I think ours faces west but I am bad with directions.

Hi,
I think sun sets that direction.

It does on my neighborhood and in all places I've lived.
Some say the sun rises over the UK before I see it. That is east of
me. I bet Alaska is interesting at midnight.

Only during certain times of the year and depending on where you are in AK.

Real pretty when the Northern Lights are in full dance mode.

I've seen the Northern Lights as far south as southern Nevada. Didn't
know at the moment. It was beautiful in the night. Found out the next
day reading about it in the local news. Fascinating.

My only experience. It was at work and I was listening to the coyotes
at night. Kewl stuff...

I spent a year at USCG LorSta Port Clarence, AK. We used to lay on our
backs on the shore of the Bearing Sea and watch the lights dance for hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 May 2014 21:59:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Mayayana" wrote in message
| I do stand corrected on this. When I looked again, Lowes does have a
couple
| of cheap wood doors listed but there is no category for wood exterior
doors.

You didn't distinguish between slabs and prehung.
They may not have prehung, but any 1 3/4 slab should
be exterior grade. They have those on the shelf. It
sounds like that's what Vic Smith bought.

I didn't really look to see what they were because I am not interested. I
just wanted to correct my error in saying that they didn't sell them.

Yeah, but it's good for the rest of us to know why your imprression is
so far off from Vic's, for example. And Mayayana explained it.

If this were an english usage group, I'd comment on the phrase "prehung
door". It sounds like it's about the door, but the difference is really
the door frame. Practical people like most of those here might not
care about that, but some of the English usage folk find that sort of
thing very interesting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/6/2014 6:55 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Vic Smith wrote:

What's "common?" I bought a wooden door Saturday.
Replacing the garage entry, which is falling apart.

Hi,
Door to enter the garage from outside? If from inside
isn't that fire code violation?

1. Entry door usually means exterior entry.
2. There are wood fire rated doors. Usually a sandwich with fire rated
materials.