Posted to alt.home.repair
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Wood exterior doors?

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 May 2014 19:09:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

Are these common any more? Looking online, it would seem not. Not that I
want one but... I am getting new roofing soon and will have to have no
soffit put in and that will require painting. Since I want the house to
be
more of a yellow, rather than the bleh color it now is (too dark to be
white, too light to be beige), I thought I might get a new door as well.
Lowe's seems to sell mostly Fiberglass and steel. I currently have steel
but it's old and crappy looking. I got a really nice white storm door
last
year and was thinking that it might look good with a white door as well.
Or
even a red one. Not sure the exact color I want the house but something
in
a pale yellow tone. Perhaps with a hint of gold or peach. Depends on
what
roofing I get. The roofer gave me a sample of Prairie Wood which is a
lighter brown with copper flecks. I love it but it would appear that it
isn't algae-proof and I for sure want that. I did check their website and
unless they did not update it, it's not. Because I love the colors.

Anyway... I was talking with someone about doors and she insisted that of
course they still sell wood doors. I only saw interior ones or the kind
that are mostly glass with wood surrounding. I did find real wood doors
for
sale at various places but they appeared to be custom and were in the
thousands of dollars.

I suspect that what this person thinks are wood are really fiberglass made
to look like wood.

I'm in the Mojave Desert. I'd avoid wood and fiberglass doors. I
prefer the steel doors. In my case steel is better due to the amount
of heat my front door gets in summer afternoons (115°F) many days.
Direct from the west.

Consider heavy rains on wood doors. Fiberglass can warp in some areas.

Think about the weather, conditions and how well a wood door is
finished.

Hmmm... The info. on the Lowe's website said that Fiberglass holds up the
best as steel can warp. I thought that odd as I don't think I've ever seen
a warped one. We don't get a lot of sun or heat here but it can get quite
damp. But we also have the really good storm door and that would keep the
rain off.