Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fix Bumpy Paint On Door

Hi All,

I painted a door with semigloss paint after stripping and sanding both sides
smooth, then priming. One newly painted side looks good and smooth, but the
other side looks really bumpy. I used the same painting technique for both
sides - rolling the paint on and quickly laying it down with a high quality
brush.

I am trying to avoid restripping the bad side or spending a lot of time
sanding the paint down. Is there some way to fill in the "valleys" without
going to a lot of trouble?

Any advice appreciated!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 May 2014 15:55:14 -0700, James wrote:

Hi All,

I painted a door with semigloss paint after stripping and sanding both
sides
smooth, then priming. One newly painted side looks good and smooth, but
the
other side looks really bumpy. I used the same painting technique for
both
sides - rolling the paint on and quickly laying it down with a high
quality
brush.

I am trying to avoid restripping the bad side or spending a lot of time
sanding the paint down. Is there some way to fill in the "valleys"
without
going to a lot of trouble?

Any advice appreciated!

hard wooden block, not a soft pad.
wrap with 300 to 400 'wet n dry' sandpaper
use window cleaner as slurry mix
gently sand flat, to mirror surface if you like, easy to do, one sheet
does the whole door.
this is important...clean well. use tac cloth wipe, then paint again. flow
on the paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:55:14 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
Hi All, I painted a door with semigloss paint after stripping and sanding both sides smooth, then priming. One newly painted side looks good and smooth, but the other side looks really bumpy. I used the same painting technique for both sides - rolling the paint on and quickly laying it down with a high quality brush. I am trying to avoid restripping the bad side or spending a lot of time sanding the paint down. Is there some way to fill in the "valleys" without going to a lot of trouble? Any advice appreciated!

Get a textured paint and repaint the one side with that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If it's oil paint you can sand it down, especially
while it's still fresh. If it's acrylic/latex that won't
work so well. It tends to scratch rather than wear,
like sanding rubber. If it were me I'd live with it, but
given that you already stripped the old paint (!) it
sounds like this is a special door.

If you want a really nice finish next time, prime
with oil underbody primer and paint with oil or
acrylic alkyd paint. Another trick is to not use
semi-gloss. The less the gloss, the more forgiving
of imperfections.

| I painted a door with semigloss paint after stripping and sanding both
sides
| smooth, then priming. One newly painted side looks good and smooth, but
the
| other side looks really bumpy. I used the same painting technique for
both
| sides - rolling the paint on and quickly laying it down with a high
quality
| brush.
|
| I am trying to avoid restripping the bad side or spending a lot of time
| sanding the paint down. Is there some way to fill in the "valleys"
without
| going to a lot of trouble?
|
| Any advice appreciated!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/2014 6:55 PM, James wrote:
Hi All,

I painted a door with semigloss paint after stripping and sanding both sides
smooth, then priming. One newly painted side looks good and smooth, but the
other side looks really bumpy. I used the same painting technique for both
sides - rolling the paint on and quickly laying it down with a high quality
brush.

I am trying to avoid restripping the bad side or spending a lot of time
sanding the paint down. Is there some way to fill in the "valleys" without
going to a lot of trouble?

Any advice appreciated!

Latex or alkyd? Makes a big difference, because latex is about
impossible to sand. Painted in cold weather, or in hot sun? Without
more info (paint, time since it was done, etc), I'd be inclined to strip
it if you used latex. If alkyd, give it time to CURE (not just dry),
per label, sand lightly and put on another coat. Thin paint a tad, have
door lying flat.

Tiles - Bumpy or Flat John UK diy 10 July 16th 10 09:53 PM
Exterior door behind storm door, interior or exterior paint? andyeverett Home Repair 5 May 9th 10 04:43 PM
Bumpy bathroom subfloor, what to do? idiot for helping out Home Repair 7 May 18th 06 04:07 PM
Paint a door Dr Wu UK diy 9 September 3rd 05 05:16 PM
Spar Urethane, bumpy table top Rich Woodworking 3 January 15th 05 02:00 PM