Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fake Wooden Shakes

Guv Bob wrote:
Can anyone recommend a replacement for wood shakes or shingles with a similar appearance -- and don't break the bank?

Hi,
There is metal tiles of all shapes, forms, and color.
Another one is some kinda recycled tire product pretty think
looking like shakes. I replaced shakes with German origin
rolled steel ceramic coated tile sheets which has 50 year
guarantee. It is known to last 100 years. I did not bother concrete
tiles due to it's weight and worry of hail storm even tho my roof could
take the load.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Can anyone recommend a replacement for wood shakes or shingles with a similar appearance -- and don't break the bank?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Guv Bob wrote:
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message ...
Guv Bob wrote:
Can anyone recommend a replacement for wood shakes or shingles with a similar appearance -- and don't break the bank?

Hi,
There is metal tiles of all shapes, forms, and color.
Another one is some kinda recycled tire product pretty think
looking like shakes. I replaced shakes with German origin
rolled steel ceramic coated tile sheets which has 50 year
guarantee. It is known to last 100 years. I did not bother concrete
tiles due to it's weight and worry of hail storm even tho my roof could
take the load.

Thanks, TH, I'll check these out around here. Any material is fine for me as long as they don't break the bank and will hold up to a walking on it from time to time. Really have liked the wood shakes - they have lasted for 40 years. The last 10 years I have used a bundle or two each year replacing some, which has been a lot $$ & work than re-roof it. Also have to get city permit around her to re-roof, but not to repair up to a certain amount. I would keep doing it, but it's getting old and we've got a bottle rocket fan next door now ... and termites got a good foothold on it now.

Hi,
Today's real shakes are not like old day ones. Their wood is too young
and as a result it'll never last 40 years, LOL!. Also fire hazard....
In my case the reason I chose the metal tile is proven long life,
light weight, hail, storm safe, fire resistance, etc. Costs little more
than double ordinary shingles of top quality. I think part of the cost
is for labor, it takes time to screw down every piece after lattice work
is done. Install. crew was experienced with this particular stuff. Very
hard working fellows from Ukraine. Took about 10 days to finish the job.
Our house is 2 story ~2600 sq. ft.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" writes:

Can anyone recommend a replacement for wood shakes or shingles with a
similar appearance -- and don't break the bank?

My home is covered with Nailite.

Look it up, it's vinyl that looks like shakes.
Never needs painting.
I can't tell you the relative cost, just that it's
one of my better investments.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan.Espen" wrote in message ...
"Guv Bob" writes:

Can anyone recommend a replacement for wood shakes or shingles with a
similar appearance -- and don't break the bank?

My home is covered with Nailite.

Look it up, it's vinyl that looks like shakes.
Never needs painting.
I can't tell you the relative cost, just that it's
one of my better investments.

--
Dan Espen

Sounds good. Vinyl is good - there are fences around here 20 years old or more that still look brand new. Can you walk on your roof without damage?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" writes:

"Dan.Espen" wrote in message ...
"Guv Bob" writes:

Can anyone recommend a replacement for wood shakes or shingles with a
similar appearance -- and don't break the bank?

My home is covered with Nailite.

Look it up, it's vinyl that looks like shakes.
Never needs painting.
I can't tell you the relative cost, just that it's
one of my better investments.

Sounds good. Vinyl is good - there are fences around here 20 years
old or more that still look brand new. Can you walk on your roof
without damage?

Roof?

Sorry, the Nailite is siding material.

--