grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Default toilet shakes pipe

I have a strange problem that popped up a week or so ago. Now when my
toilet stops running (after a flush), I hear a water pipe in the
basement shake for a second or two. This does not happen when any sink
is used, or the shower, just the toilet. I figure this is bad for the
pipes (well connections anyway). Any clue what this is? Why does only
the toilet do this?

Stretch

It is called water hammer, caused by the yoilet fill valve shutting off
too fast. Sioux Chief makes a water hammer arrestor, put it on a tee
you install in the cold water line near the toilet.

Stretch

Joseph Meehan

grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:
I have a strange problem that popped up a week or so ago. Now when my
toilet stops running (after a flush), I hear a water pipe in the
basement shake for a second or two. This does not happen when any
sink is used, or the shower, just the toilet. I figure this is bad
for the pipes (well connections anyway). Any clue what this is? Why
does only the toilet do this?

Sounds like water hammer. Lots of possible solutions and causes. If
your water pressure has increased, that could be it. Turning down the
shutoff to the toilet so it will fill slower, may help as might better
securing the water line in question or turning off the water supply and
draining your water lines, then turning stuff back on. This sometimes
returns the function to anti-hammer devices. You might also want to install
a anti-water hammer device as suggested by Stretch.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

How much water in a copper tube? Harry Everhart Home Repair 59 April 18th 14 08:04 PM
Toilet stack pipe Andy Morrison UK diy 2 August 28th 05 01:14 PM
Toilet flushing problem [difficult flushing-possible vent problem] [email protected] Home Ownership 4 March 19th 05 10:30 AM
Replacing old steel water main supply pipe Pandora UK diy 3 January 24th 04 08:53 AM