Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another Water Heater Option

Thanks to all who answered my question about tankless electric water heaters. I think I'll stick with an oil-fired unit. I got an estimate for two options; I can replace the free-standing oil-fired unit for about $4,100, installed, or I can get an indirect water heater which runs off the oil boiler as a separate heat zone from the house radiators for about $4,900. I'll get a couple more estimates before making a decision, of course.

The indirect unit would reduce maintenance costs since I'd only have one burner going, but it would probably wear out the burner a year or so earlier from the increased usage. The free-standing unit is cheaper and will probably last 10-12 years, by which time I'll probably be in a rest home, while the indirect unit should last much longer.

Any thoughts on indirect units? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2014 6:20 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

Can't see it from here, but you may be able to
get a propane WH, and a tank of propane outdoors.
That might be much cheaper.

I've helped install a couple indirect heaters,
not an expert by any means.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 21, 2014 6:20:36 AM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:
[...]

What's wrong with an electric tank type? I should be $3000 less than
either of those options. IDK the current operating costs of an oil fired
heater vs electric, but now that oil has gone up a lot, I think electric
probably isn't too much different in operating cost. Also, I'd check
with the elecric company and find out if they have any special rates
available for water heaters. Some places have had separate meters so
that the WH only runs at night and gets a reduced rate. With smart
metering that is rolling out, same idea applies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

Oil fired standalone water heaters tend to be very solidly built and
long lasting. Indirect fired water heaters are good if you have a long
heating season where you live, otherwise they will tend to have more
standby losses than a standalone unit during the summer non-heating
season.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
What's wrong with an electric tank type? I should be $3000 less than
either of those options. IDK the current operating costs of an oil fired
heater vs electric, but now that oil has gone up a lot, I think electric
probably isn't too much different in operating cost. Also, I'd check
with the elecric company and find out if they have any special rates
available for water heaters. Some places have had separate meters so
that the WH only runs at night and gets a reduced rate. With smart
metering that is rolling out, same idea applies.

At over $ 4000 to install a water heater, I sure would look into the cost of
a standard electrical tank type water heater. At the price of oil, I bet
it would be much cheaper to operate now. Surely he could get a water heater
installed for under $ 1000 and not too much to run the electrical wire.

It would take a lot of hot water to make up that $ 2000 differance even if
oil was cheaper.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I have and really like an indirect unit. That said, my install was part
of a boiler replacement, not an add on. The price you were quoted seems
high to me. What you are buying is a tank, heat exchanger, zone valve,
aquastat and labor.

My suggestion. If the existing boiler is over 20 years old, replace
everything and have a very efficient unit. I mentioned the System
2000 before and it has been great. The cost of everything is covered by
the savings in oil so it is well worth the price.

If the existing boiler is fairly new and efficient, I'd consider going
to electric if you have the power for it. You will need a 240 circuit
of at least 30A or 40A. I'm not sure of which.

BTW, with my unit, yhou can stay in she shower forever and have plenty
of hot water. My grandson has proven that to be true, right up tot he
time I turned the hot water off.

..