Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Another Water Heater Option

"trader_4" wrote in message
What's wrong with an electric tank type? I should be $3000 less than
either of those options. IDK the current operating costs of an oil fired
heater vs electric, but now that oil has gone up a lot, I think electric
probably isn't too much different in operating cost. Also, I'd check
with the elecric company and find out if they have any special rates
available for water heaters. Some places have had separate meters so
that the WH only runs at night and gets a reduced rate. With smart
metering that is rolling out, same idea applies.

At over $ 4000 to install a water heater, I sure would look into the cost of
a standard electrical tank type water heater. At the price of oil, I bet
it would be much cheaper to operate now. Surely he could get a water heater
installed for under $ 1000 and not too much to run the electrical wire.

It would take a lot of hot water to make up that $ 2000 differance even if
oil was cheaper.

---