Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another Water Heater Option

On 4/21/2014 6:20 AM, Pavel314 wrote:
Thanks to all who answered my question about

tankless electric water heaters. I think I'll
stick with an oil-fired unit. I got an estimate
for two options; I can replace the free-standing
oil-fired unit for about $4,100, installed, or I
can get an indirect water heater which runs off
the oil boiler as a separate heat zone from the
house radiators for about $4,900. I'll get a couple
more estimates before making a decision, of course.

The indirect unit would reduce maintenance costs

since I'd only have one burner going, but it would
probably wear out the burner a year or so earlier
from the increased usage. The free-standing unit is
cheaper and will probably last 10-12 years, by which
time I'll probably be in a rest home, while the
indirect unit should last much longer.

Any thoughts on indirect units? Thanks in

advance for any advice.

Paul

Can't see it from here, but you may be able to
get a propane WH, and a tank of propane outdoors.
That might be much cheaper.

I've helped install a couple indirect heaters,
not an expert by any means.

--
..
Christopher A. Young