Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting the cord

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 15:58:06 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

Micky,

A few months ago Comcast switched to encrypted digital TV. I never
watch live TV, I record everything using TV tuners in my computer.
Their new encryption scheme was incompatible with my TV tuners, so I
dropped the TV service and switched to an antenna. Even with the No-TV
fee, my bill went down about $5/month.

You pay $5/month for Comcast internet, and that's your whole cost???

No, my bill "went down" about $5 when I dropped the TV service. I still pay

Wow, that is what you said. I wonder if there is anything called
adult-onset dsylexia.

about $67 a month for internet service.

Plus the one-time-only $10 No-TV fee?

The no-TV fee is monthly, not one time.

I figured, but I was trying to make the numbers come out right. I
*thought* it was too good to be true.

Basically, it was $12 a month to add TV service, or a $10 monthly fee if I
only wanted internet. I always opted for the TV service until they changed
to encrypted digital. That required new boxes that were incompatible with
my TV tuners. So, I now pay the $10 monthly fee, and use an antenna to get
the local TV channels.

Did you have to buy a cable modem maybe?

I purchased my own cable modem a few years ago to avoid the rental cost
every month. The monthly rental was only $5 or so, but if you plan to have
cable internet for more than a year or so, it's more cost effective to buy
your own modem.

I can see that.

I know you don't have TV anymore, and I don't
think Comcast has telephone.

Comcast does offer phone service, but I get phone service a lot cheaper by
going through 1-VOIP:

http://www.1-voip.com/residential-voip.php

That sounds very interesting.

Thanks.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:28:42 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Went to the Web site, but did not get enough information on blocking these ****ing anonymous robot calls that I get all day.

Do the voices in my head bother you? Please share with us.
__
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs,

http://www.1-voip.com/residential-voip.php

Was very interested to read this reference. Went to the Web site, but
did not get enough information on blocking these ****ing anonymous
robot calls that I get all day.

Yes, 1-Voip has anonymous call blocking, white listing, black listing,
and call filtering. I think that's fairly standard for most Voip
providers.

However, you may want to register with the National Do Not Call Registry:

https://www.donotcall.gov/

I don't use any of the blocking features on 1-Voip and we almost never
get junk mail calls.

2. How long have you had these 1-VOIP folks as phone service?

I have used 1-Voip since 2007. They were called "Voip Your Life" back
then.

Before that I used another Voip provider (don't recall the name), but
they went out of business.

3. Any problems? What kind?

On a couple of very rare occasions (once every 2-3 years maybe), my home
network acted up and I couldn't receive phone calls. Once I knew about
it, it was easy to power everything down and reboot the network. However,
that's more of a problem with my own network than an issue with the
service they provide.

Last year I had a problem with my home phone wiring, and it appeared as a
phone off the hook to 1-Voip. After a couple days they blocked my service
till I fixed it and contacted them. Again, that was an issue with my own
wiring, not really their fault. These days, I just plug a wireless phone
system into the phone adapter and skip the house wiring completely.

Otherwise, I have been very happy with their service. Back in the 90's we
were paying over $100 for a basic land line through Verizon. That was
bare bones basic with no caller ID or blocking features. Switching to
Voip phone service dropped our bill to $20 a month and we get a lot more
features. As long as you have a broadband internet connection, Voip is
the way to go (We can't get cell reception out here).

4. Do you have any personal/pecuniary interest in this co?

Nope, they were just the least expensive phone service I could find at
the time.

5. Where is their central office?

The contact page on their web site says they're in Oklahoma?

6. Are they a public co? I.E. stockholders?

Golly, I have no idea. Doesn't matter to me.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Old English B22 (bayonet) cord plugs and cord sockets Jim Hawkins[_2_] UK diy 2 January 29th 14 09:38 PM
Why is electric cord thicker than it used to be, and do they make little switches for thick cord. micky Home Repair 23 September 3rd 12 04:00 AM
Need advice on cutting firewire cord - 4pin to 6pin - help please David D Electronics Repair 1 July 24th 07 01:07 AM
Anyone know the name of the shower head that you have to pull a cord to turn it on, and releaseing the cord turns it off? Brett Miller Home Repair 5 March 9th 06 06:14 AM
Cutting aluminum with carbide wood cutting blade on tablesaw mc Metalworking 16 March 1st 06 06:20 AM