Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Patio door hard to slide

When I first encountered this problem a couple of years ago, all that
anyone previously had done was lube and clean the tracks. I sprayed the
roller axles (probably used WD-40) and it made a dramatic improvement.
The problem has now returned. Spraying the axles no longer has much effect.

What's really puzzling is that the owner says even during the winter
(central NJ), some days it will be fairly easy to slide; other days not so.

One side of the door faces the normal living space, so is exposed to
ambients around 70F. The "outside" faces an enclosed sun room with a
jacuzzi. During the summer it gets very hot; I don't know how cold it
gets during the winter.

The wheel axles face the outside and are easy to spray without removing
any trim plugs.

The door is a bit bigger than 44"W x 88"H. It's double-paned, so even
under ideal conditions its heavy weight makes it somewhat hard to slide.
As I recall, its a metal frame. I don't know the brand.

I don't feel any flat spots on the wheels or the track, but I haven't
been in the house for over six months; things may have changed.

Thanks for your suggestions.

R1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 11:34:57 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

[...]

The rollers are adjustable. Look for holes near the bottom on the
frame. They use a Philips screw to adjust them up/down.

The roller wheels may look fine, but the axle may be worn so it's best
to replace the rollers. That size panel is most likely a set of two
rollers with each having dual wheels.

I replaced mine a few years ago.

Pic:
(http://www.windowdoorparts.com/images/detailed/4/2cor1351717287509191a74a57d.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2014 11:34 AM, Rebel1 wrote:
When I first encountered this problem a couple of years ago, all that
anyone previously had done was lube and clean the tracks. I sprayed the
roller axles (probably used WD-40) and it made a dramatic improvement.
The problem has now returned. Spraying the axles no longer has much effect.

What's really puzzling is that the owner says even during the winter
(central NJ), some days it will be fairly easy to slide; other days not so.

They may feel OK, but with the weight of the door they don't work well.
Easy and cheap enough to just replace them and you are good for
another 15 years or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That might be the only real solution, including replacing the track just
to be on the safe side. This of course also means removing the
stationary panel. I would definitely need a helper, with the door being
so heavy, even though I'd be just tilting it, not lifting it. Maybe it's
time to call in two muscular pros.

Thanks,

R1

Posted to alt.home.repair

someone is going to make a small/large fortune,
by inventing a new way to get out onto the patio,
with a large glass door, or doors

I've always had some issue with my sliding glass doors,
from to the screen, to the tracks, to the doors themselves...

marc

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rebel1 wrote:
[...]

Hi,
If you used WD40, you just cleaned things. WD40 is not a lubricant.
Probably white Lithium grease spray is better choice. They stay and work
on all temperature range.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They are heavier for sure - tempered glass, so be careful.

When I removed mine, I placed a mat near the track to sit it on until
a could get a better grip and lay the panel on its side.

I'd not remove the track. There are aluminum inserts that will fit
into the track to compensate for a damaged track. I'm not familiar
with who makes them, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This of course also means removing the
stationary panel.

BTW, I'm not sure why you need to remove the stationary panel. Unless
something is odd about the door? The operator panel is all that needs
to be removed - from the inside to repair the rollers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,
If you used WD40, you just cleaned things. WD40 is not a lubricant.
Probably white Lithium grease spray is better choice. They stay and work
on all temperature range.

Great tip. I'll try that next week. Thanks.

R1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 17:01:02 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

Hi,
If you used WD40, you just cleaned things. WD40 is not a lubricant.
Probably white Lithium grease spray is better choice. They stay and work
on all temperature range.

Great tip. I'll try that next week. Thanks.

R1

Personally, I'd consider Silicone spray (and use it) over use of
lithium grease. The same spray I use on garage door rollers.

Pet dander, carpet fibers, dirt will collect, stick, and collect the
on the door rollers. Causing them to roll less freely sooner.

IMO, not the best place to use white lithium grease....just sayin'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This of course also means removing the
stationary panel.

BTW, I'm not sure why you need to remove the stationary panel. Unless
something is odd about the door? The operator panel is all that needs
to be removed - from the inside to repair the rollers.

Oren,

Two excellent tips. I guess I really don't have to remove the stationary
panel if I could get inserts for the track. I didn't know there were
such things. Thanks.

Here it is, right at HD.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Lin...i_src=17588969

There are several videos on Youtube.com.

R1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 12:16:29 -0400, Rebel1 wrote:

I would definitely need a helper, with the door being
so heavy, even though I'd be just tilting it, not lifting it. Maybe it's
time to call in two muscular pros.

Thanks,

i CAN'T emphasize enough how heavy the door is, because the first time
one finds out for sure, as opposed to just reading about it, is when
he's trying to keep from falling and the door crashing on top of him.

But I'm not saying you need two muscular pros. I'm only 5'8" of average
build, with a little extra experience maybe staying upright. One other
average guy would have been plenty** The big problem for me, alone, as
that a) I didn't realize how heavy it was until it was tilted and the
top was weighing down on me. At that point, the bottom was about to
slide away from me, So maybe have a rubber mat or something non-skid
to rest the door on, a plan where to put the door, and wear shoes that
don't slip, not just socks.

I'm not sure about leather gloves, even though there are no sharp edges.
Leather gloves seem to double one's strength, but they make it harder to
feel what's happening.

**Unless he was like my next door neighbor. I asked him for help
lifting a sidewalk square and he came over with his own gloves, pink
dishwashing gloves. It's not that they're pink and girly, it's that
they'll rip immediately and if he doesn't know that, it's like he'd
never done any hard work. I provided a pair of leather construction
and he was strong enough, but when I mentioned putting the square back,
he never volunteered again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

WD40 is NOT a lubricant, it gets gooey over time....... and might be the cause of things getting stiff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2014 11:13 PM, bob haller wrote:
WD40 is NOT a lubricant, it gets gooey over time....... and might be the cause of things getting stiff

According to the WSD-40 company it is a lubricant
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2014 12:28 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/12/2014 11:13 PM, bob haller wrote:
WD40 is NOT a lubricant, it gets gooey over time....... and might be
the cause of things getting stiff

According to the WSD-40 company it is a lubricant

According to Confucious, Aristotle, and the Bible,
WD-40 is a short acting lubricant.

Confucious Say man who need to use WD-40 need to
use short straw.

After consulting with the Greek God Homerepairus,
it has been revealed to me that WD-40 is a short
acting lubricant which is not suitable for sewing
machines or electric fans.
Aristotle

And it came to pass that Stumped Moron did need a
lubricant for his equipment. And it came to pass
that he arose early in the morning to use WD-40
because the LORD had revealed it would be short
acting and gum up.
Handyman 4:31

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 06:43:56 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

WD40 is NOT a lubricant, it gets gooey over time....... and might be
the cause of things getting stiff

According to King Erecticus, a little stiffness is not a bad thing.

According to the WSD-40 company it is a lubricant

Is that the same as WD-40? Better lubrication?

According to Confucious, Aristotle, and the Bible,
WD-40 is a short acting lubricant.

Confucious Say man who need to use WD-40 need to
use short straw.

After consulting with the Greek God Homerepairus,
it has been revealed to me that WD-40 is a short
acting lubricant which is not suitable for sewing
machines or electric fans.
Aristotle

And it came to pass that Stumped Moron did need a
lubricant for his equipment. And it came to pass
that he arose early in the morning to use WD-40
because the LORD had revealed it would be short
acting and gum up.
Handyman 4:31

LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 21:43:37 -0400, micky
wrote:

I'm not sure about leather gloves, even though there are no sharp edges.
Leather gloves seem to double one's strength, but they make it harder to
feel what's happening.

micky,

After I retired, worked installing doors and windows of all kinds for
a couple of years I used gloves like this, not the same brand.

http://www.1stplacesupply.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/i/file_1_1.jpg

Best I ever used.

I can grip, most any glass panel, door or window - handle it myself
and not have it slip.

Much of the hard work is how one carries the door, window or panel.
There is a trick on doing it as I learned.

Stand the panel up, reach below your waste, grab the door panel by the
edge at your side with an open palm and lift it towards your shoulder
using the other hand to balance. Then you only need one hand. Rest it
near your head in the horizontal with one hand holding it. Carry it
any place needed with much less stress.

One day I may make photo examples of how it is done. Once I was taught
this way I still use it today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm not sure about leather gloves, even though there are no sharp edges.
Leather gloves seem to double one's strength, but they make it harder to
feel what's happening.

micky,

After I retired, worked installing doors and windows of all kinds for
a couple of years I used gloves like this, not the same brand.

http://www.1stplacesupply.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/i/file_1_1.jpg

Yeah. I don't have any but I'm sure they're good. Might solve the
"can't feel what's happening" problem.

Aslo rubber but nowhere near as fragile as the pink Rubbermaid
dishwashing gloves my neighbor brought.

Best I ever used.

I can grip, most any glass panel, door or window - handle it myself
and not have it slip.

Much of the hard work is how one carries the door, window or panel.
There is a trick on doing it as I learned.

Stand the panel up, reach below your waste, grab the door panel by the
edge at your side with an open palm and lift it towards your shoulder

I couldn't follow this description.

using the other hand to balance. Then you only need one hand. Rest it
near your head in the horizontal with one hand holding it. Carry it

Or this.

any place needed with much less stress.

I have two sliding glass doors, one wider than the other. Double pane
glass. I couldn't carry either with one hand, I'm pretty sure, no
matter what technique I used. If the panel (glass door?) is standing
up, and I lift it at the side, there will be a tremendous force on the
lower corner away from my hand, to turn horizontal instead of standing
up. See what I mean--I didn't follow you.

One day I may make photo examples of how it is done. Once I was taught
this way I still use it today.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Patio door hard to slide - a really different solution

Novel approach: don't use the roller wheels at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JchShfsgE3A

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 08:04:58 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

Novel approach: don't use the roller wheels at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JchShfsgE3A

Interesting. I guess he glued the strips down on the other side too
and not just the one? The door looked like an Andersen sliding door.
IIRC the rollers are not near the door edge like on a typical aluminum
patio door. Perhaps that kit would work on all sliding doors?

BTW, those track repair widgets I mentioned earlier - here is a video
shown on your link - how to install them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEOqyb8kFcA

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Novel approach: don't use the roller wheels at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JchShfsgE3A

Interesting. I guess he glued the strips down on the other side too
and not just the one? The door looked like an Andersen sliding door.
IIRC the rollers are not near the door edge like on a typical aluminum
patio door. Perhaps that kit would work on all sliding doors?

It does look like it should work with all doors. I'm sure he glued down
both ends of both strips, even though he didn't say or show it. I'm not
too wild about having to use the silicone oil (or any other) on the
strips. But if you don't walk on it, none will be transferred from the
bottom of your shoes into the house and onto the floor or carpet.

BTW, those track repair widgets I mentioned earlier - here is a video
shown on your link - how to install them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEOqyb8kFcA

That's a nice video. Thanks.

It would be nice if you didn't have to remove the door first and use a
one-piece snapon for the whole length of the track. With the big, heavy
door I'm concerned with, it's a 2-man job to remove the door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rebel1 posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

[...]

I had the same problem. Being disabled fixing it was not an option after
trying the Tri-Flow lube job. Called the local window place and they sent
two guys out for about an hour and they replaced the rollers and
straightened the track out for $125. What craftsman. It still works better
than new.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

wrote:

Novel approach: don't use the roller wheels at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JchShfsgE3A

Interesting. I guess he glued the strips down on the other side too
and not just the one? The door looked like an Andersen sliding door.
IIRC the rollers are not near the door edge like on a typical aluminum
patio door. Perhaps that kit would work on all sliding doors?

BTW, those track repair widgets I mentioned earlier - here is a video
shown on your link - how to install them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEOqyb8kFcA

Thanks Oren, I need to replace the screen lock and this looks like the
ticket.

--
Tekkie