Posted to alt.home.repair
Rebel1 Rebel1 is offline

Default Patio door hard to slide - a really different solution

On 4/16/2014 12:28 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 08:04:58 -0400, Rebel1
wrote:

Novel approach: don't use the roller wheels at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JchShfsgE3A

Interesting. I guess he glued the strips down on the other side too
and not just the one? The door looked like an Andersen sliding door.
IIRC the rollers are not near the door edge like on a typical aluminum
patio door. Perhaps that kit would work on all sliding doors?

It does look like it should work with all doors. I'm sure he glued down
both ends of both strips, even though he didn't say or show it. I'm not
too wild about having to use the silicone oil (or any other) on the
strips. But if you don't walk on it, none will be transferred from the
bottom of your shoes into the house and onto the floor or carpet.

BTW, those track repair widgets I mentioned earlier - here is a video
shown on your link - how to install them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEOqyb8kFcA

That's a nice video. Thanks.

It would be nice if you didn't have to remove the door first and use a
one-piece snapon for the whole length of the track. With the big, heavy
door I'm concerned with, it's a 2-man job to remove the door.