Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace water line from street to house -- PEX or copper?

Our water line from the township's shutoff to the house* is polyethylene
and has sprung a leak. The quote to replace it with PEX is $1475; copper
would be about $500 more.

The plumber said PEX should be good for 20 years or more; the guy from
the township who came to shut off the water said they still use copper.

Any informed opinions here about which we should choose?

*Actually about 6ft from the house: that much of the poly pipe was
replaced by copper about six years ago when we had water trickling down
the inside of our basement wall.

Perce