Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Interior trim paint

For what it's worth, in case anyone's interested
in quality interior trim painting, this is about getting
an elegant, oil-base paint look. (If you don't see any
difference between acrylic and oil paints on trim then
this won't be of interest.)

I was looking for advice recently about best
options for interior trim painting. I used to use Benjamin
Moore Satin Impervo oil, which has been reformulated
twice and is now junk, despite having the exact same
label on all 3 formulations. (Satin Impervo #235 was
wonderful paint that dried to a glass-like finish. #C235
is reformulated and looks no better than acrylic paint.
#Z235 is reformulated again. It goes on like oil-base
stain, with lots of spattering and obvious brush marks.
I also had trouble with it peeling off of radiators.)

To replace Satin Impervo I
found Pratt and Lambert Red Seal oil-base satin finish,
which gives a beautiful, smooth finish with virtually no
brushmarks. It's a bit tricky to use, requiring periodic
thinning, but otherwise is as good as anything from
30 years ago. Unfortunately, P&L seems to be getting
withdrawn from the market. Even their own salespeople
couldn't tell me a store where it's still sold in my area.
Their list of dealers was years out of date! Sherwin
Williams bought them out some years ago and seem to
be deliberately killing the company.

So, I've been doing some research. The best option
I can find is Benjamin Moore Fresh Start oil-base
primer and underbody, topped with Sherwin Williams
ProClassic acrylic/alkyd semi-gloss trim paint. Benj
Moore Advance is similar to ProClassic -- a "waterborne"
oil paint with water cleanup. But SW seems to be a bit
thicker and dries in 4+ hours, as opposed to 16 hours
for BM Advance. Both dry to a very smooth finish but
are thin, like glazes. That's why the underbody is needed --
to give the finish enough thickness to cover fine irregularities.
When I tried ProClassic on poplar, over a thin water-base
primer, I could actually see some of the poplar grain after
2 coats! (Poplar has *very* fine grain.)

Sherwin Williams has several primers I haven't tried,
but they don't even make an underbody paint as far as
I can figure.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayayana View Post
To replace Satin Impervo I
found Pratt and Lambert Red Seal oil-base satin finish,
which gives a beautiful, smooth finish with virtually no
brushmarks.
Mayayana:
You should know that "Red Seal" is Pratt & Lambert's "Budget Priced" paint. You should do better with their top-of-the-line "Accolade" line of paints.

Maybe phone Pratt & Lambert tech support at 1-800-289-7728.

Or, try Ralph Gordon at 1-800-892-8109 if he hasn't retired yet.

Ask what the equivalent of your paint would be in their "Accolade" line of paints and try it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| To replace Satin Impervo I
| found Pratt and Lambert Red Seal oil-base satin finish,
| which gives a beautiful, smooth finish with virtually no
| brushmarks.
|
| Mayayana:
| You should know that "Red Seal" is Pratt & Lambert's "Budget Priced"
| paint. You should do better with their top-of-the-line "Accolade" line
| of paints.

Accolade is water-base. There is also a Red Seal water base,
but what I'm talking about is Red Seal oil base. I've been trying
to find a paint that looks and wears as good as Red Seal oil.
Acrylic paints just can't achieve that kind of finish.
I haven't found an oil-base trim paint comparable to the
Red Seal. It's not budget priced paint. In any case, I don't
seem to be able to buy it anymore. If I could I wouldn't have
been doing all the research with "waterborne oil" paints. I did
call P&L and as I mentioned, they didn't even have an up-to-date
list of area dealers. As far as I can tell, the dealer I've been
going to, which is going out of business, is the last one in
my area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mayayana" wrote in message

For what it's worth, in case anyone's interested
in quality interior trim painting, this is about getting
an elegant, oil-base paint look. (If you don't see any
difference between acrylic and oil paints on trim then
this won't be of interest.)

I see the difference and for a long time I decried the use of other than a
decent oil base paint on woodwork. I no longer do...it has gotten too hard
to find one...the acrylic types have won. However, if I really wanted to
fight back I'd be checking yacht topside paints.

I don't know if they have changed in their formulations but I used to use
International and Z-Spar paints on my 42' sail boat. Both were pricey - the
International more so - but both applied and wore well. For the hull, I
would roll on an area 4-5' wide, gunnel to waterline then tip it off with a
good 4" bristle brush until the paint began to drag slightly; assuming the
surface was smooth in the first place, the dried result was about as close
to flawless as I've seen.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Apr 2014 06:47:56 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

"Mayayana" wrote in message

[...]

Put FloeTrol in a good 100% acrylic latex and you can get the same
results. The vanity in our bathroom is so smooth I defy anyone to make
a better job with an oil paint - even with a sprayer. Sherwin Williams
Emeral gloss IIRC

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/4/2014 2:26 PM, Mayayana wrote:
For what it's worth, in case anyone's interested
in quality interior trim painting, this is about getting
an elegant, oil-base paint look. (If you don't see any

To replace Satin Impervo I
found Pratt and Lambert Red Seal oil-base satin finish,
which gives a beautiful, smooth finish with virtually no
brushmarks. It's a bit tricky to use, requiring periodic
thinning, but otherwise is as good as anything from
30 years ago. Unfortunately, P&L seems to be getting
withdrawn from the market. ...

So, I've been doing some research. The best option
I can find is Benjamin Moore Fresh Start oil-base
primer and underbody, topped with Sherwin Williams
ProClassic acrylic/alkyd semi-gloss trim paint. Benj

Where are you located? Just happened to remember James T Davis in
Lynchburg where we used to be...local, rather than national, but they
still have an oil-based in the lineup according to the web site.

I'm not sure what there distributorship looks like any more; Mr Davis
has sold the business since I was there lo! so many years ago and had
the shop in the sub=basement of the old downtown Lynchburg store...

While not known outside the region, product was always very good for the
price.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/5/2014 4:50 PM, dpb wrote:

Where are you located? Just happened to remember James T Davis in
Lynchburg where we used to be...local, rather than national, but they
still have an oil-based in the lineup according to the web site.

oopsies...

http://www.jamestdavis.com/interiorpaints.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

| http://www.jamestdavis.com/interiorpaints.html

Looks interesting, but I'm in Boston. Too far to go
before work, I'm afraid.