Dugie

Default Use interior or exterior clear finish for window trim?

Hi,

Now that our new windows are installed, we plan to use a clear finish for
the interior pine, such as a satin water-based Urethane.

Is it best to use an exterior grade finish, or is an interior grade fine?
I think some rain will eventually wet the surfaces, since we'll probably
forget to close a window, or will be hit by a surprise rain storm.

To prevent staining the wood, the contractor said to first apply one coat of
finish before filling nail holes with a pine filler.
Any other advice is welcome, too.

Thanks.

Dugie

Dugie wrote:
Hi,

Now that our new windows are installed, we plan to use a clear finish for
the interior pine, such as a satin water-based Urethane.

Is it best to use an exterior grade finish, or is an interior grade fine?
I think some rain will eventually wet the surfaces, since we'll probably
forget to close a window, or will be hit by a surprise rain storm.

To prevent staining the wood, the contractor said to first apply one coat of
finish before filling nail holes with a pine filler.
Any other advice is welcome, too.

Thanks.

Dugie

Greetings,

Of course most any product would do. If you want the best protection
use an exterior oil based polyurethane. Just make sure you have some
ventilation.

Hope this helps,
William

Dugie

" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dugie wrote:
Is it best to use an exterior grade finish, or is an interior grade

fine?

Greetings,

Of course most any product would do. If you want the best protection
use an exterior oil based polyurethane. Just make sure you have some
ventilation.

Hope this helps,
William

It does help, thanks. I'll have lots of ventilation, the fumes would be bad.

So for the best, you would use exterior grade, and also an oil based
polyurethane.
To clarify: Why not Urethane? and why oil, rather than water, based?
Not trying to be fussy. Would like to understand. :-)

Dugie

Savage

"Dugie" wrote in message
" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dugie wrote:
Is it best to use an exterior grade finish, or is an interior grade

fine?

Greetings,

Of course most any product would do. If you want the best protection
use an exterior oil based polyurethane. Just make sure you have some
ventilation.

Hope this helps,
William

It does help, thanks. I'll have lots of ventilation, the fumes would be
bad.

So for the best, you would use exterior grade, and also an oil based
polyurethane.
To clarify: Why not Urethane? and why oil, rather than water, based?
Not trying to be fussy. Would like to understand. :-)

Dugie

With the high gloss finish urethane/polyurethane, after about two coats,
it'll look good - after three, like a polished piece of glass.

It will take many (6 or more from my own experience) to get a decent finish
with the water based stuff. The low odour and easy clean up is nice but it
tends to soak into the wood without doing much.

Gord

Amun

"Savage" wrote in message

"Dugie" wrote in message
" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dugie wrote:
[...]

Agree with gord about the water vs oil.

And just want to add that the only usual difference between interior and
exterior finishes is perhaps a bit of extra UV protection, usually at about
double the price.

"Interior" will be fine, but if price is the same (or cheaper), use the
"exterior".
(it can't hurt)

AMUN

Rudy

It will take many (6 or more from my own experience) to get a decent
finish
with the water based stuff. The low odour and easy clean up is nice but
it tends to soak into the wood without doing much.

Three coats of satin water based poly on our Douglas fir window casing.
600 paper after the first coat. Looks fine

Dugie

"Rudy" wrote in message

It will take many (6 or more from my own experience) to get a decent
finish

Three coats of satin water based poly on our Douglas fir window casing.
600 paper after the first coat. Looks fine

My main concern is having a finish which will resist accidental rain water,
and also resist fading from sunlight. How long ago did you do the job?

Oh, and filling the nail holes too: did you use commercial filler, or make
your own filler?

Dugie

Rudy

My main concern is having a finish which will resist accidental rain
water,
and also resist fading from sunlight. How long ago did you do the job?

A year ago..so far so good. The applicator used a high quality stain and
rubbed in two coats of that first,
We don't leave the windows open if it rains but YMMV

Oh, and filling the nail holes too: did you use commercial filler, or make
your own filler?

We used a blend of 2 colored wax based "crayons" that matched our color.

Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 02:45 PM
Can we use water based finish on oil based finish for maintenance coats? John Smith Home Ownership 6 April 28th 04 05:45 PM
Mark Shafer's oil-beeswax gel finish (mini-review) B a r r y Woodworking 0 April 20th 04 11:33 AM
Patches of missing finish on oak tables -- how to repair and match color? Tekla Woodworking 1 March 5th 04 02:28 AM
"Dulling" a shellac finish Tim Schubach Woodworking 6 October 13th 03 06:22 AM