Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet tank help!!

I was taking off my toilet tank per instructions do put in new "guts".
While unscrewing the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl, I broke off a
chunk of porcelain in which the bolt connects to. The break didnt split
the hole, just a piece about two inches all the way around it. Can this be
glued back together or do I have to get a new toilet now???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 31, 2014 10:44:02 PM UTC-4, necountrygrl wrote:
I was taking off my toilet tank per instructions do put in new "guts".

While unscrewing the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl, I broke off a

chunk of porcelain in which the bolt connects to. The break didnt split

the hole, just a piece about two inches all the way around it. Can this be

glued back together or do I have to get a new toilet now???

probably not toilets arent that expensive but flods are.....

your far better off to use a sawzall to cut off those bolts.

you could try using silicone bathtub caulk on the broken area, but its really not a good idea

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 02:44:02 +0000, necountrygrl
wrote:

I was taking off my toilet tank per instructions do put in new "guts".
While unscrewing the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl, I broke off a
chunk of porcelain in which the bolt connects to. The break didnt split
the hole, just a piece about two inches all the way around it. Can this be
glued back together or do I have to get a new toilet now???

Just replace the tank. Don't break the next one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/31/2014 10:44 PM, necountrygrl wrote:
I was taking off my toilet tank per instructions do put in new "guts".
While unscrewing the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl, I broke off a
chunk of porcelain in which the bolt connects to. The break didnt split
the hole, just a piece about two inches all the way around it. Can this be
glued back together or do I have to get a new toilet now???

I'd not trust a repair. It could last years, or it could start flooding
as son as you go to bet tonight.

Consider a comfort height toilet. Especially if you are over 50 or have
arthritis.
Senior Member

Maybe paint some of the mixed liquid onto the surface you want the epoxy to stick to before you spread the epoxy with a putty knife. I'm thinking that would result in a better bond.

Last edited by nestork : April 1st 14 at 04:36 AM

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Get a new toilet. I recommend the American Standard Cadet 3 series.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/cadet+3?NCNI-5

1.28 GPF and the FloWise flush system. Just about impossible to clog. I've
had 2 of the $138 models for a couple of years now and haven't used the
plunger once. I'm not even sure where it is.

You don't have spend extra for the dual flush model. On the single flush
models, if you push the handle down quickly it will dump enough water from
the tank to flush liquids. Hold it down a little longer for a full flush.
Posted to alt.home.repair

necountrygrl wrote:
I was taking off my toilet tank per instructions do put in new "guts".
While unscrewing the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl, I broke off a
chunk of porcelain in which the bolt connects to. The break didnt split
the hole, just a piece about two inches all the way around it. Can this be
glued back together or do I have to get a new toilet now???

Hi,
Sorry to hear that. Just to have peace of mind,
I'd just replace the whole with new one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

necountrygrl wrote:
I was taking off my toilet tank per instructions do put in new "guts".
While unscrewing the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl, I broke
off a chunk of porcelain in which the bolt connects to. The break
didnt split the hole, just a piece about two inches all the way
around it. Can this be glued back together or do I have to get a new
toilet now???

If I were to attempt such a repair, I'd use a slow cure epoxy glue, and caulk
over it with 100% silicone caulk on both sides. But, since this is the
attachment point, your likelyhood of success over the long term is low. If
someone leans back too hard, you've got a flood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
necountrygrl wrote:
I was taking off my toilet tank per instructions do put in new
"guts". While unscrewing the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl, I
broke off a chunk of porcelain in which the bolt connects to. The
break didnt split the hole, just a piece about two inches all the way
around it. Can this be glued back together or do I have to get a new
toilet now???

If I were to attempt such a repair, I'd use a slow cure epoxy glue,
and caulk over it with 100% silicone caulk on both sides. But, since
this is the attachment point, your likelyhood of success over the
long term is low. If someone leans back too hard, you've got a flood.

I suppose if you could find a big enough pair of stainless steel fender washers
to fit the bolt and go 1/2" beyond the break, and caulk those onto the repaired
tank, you might get the strength you need. If the tank would still seat
correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 31, 2014 7:44:02 PM UTC-7, necountrygrl wrote:

I was taking off my toilet tank per instructions do put in new
"guts". While unscrewing the bolts that hold the tank to the
bowl, I broke off a chunk of porcelain in which the bolt
connects to. The break didn't split the hole, just a piece
about two inches all the way around it. Can this be glued
back together or do I have to get a new toilet now???

You can glue it back together by cleaning off the surfaces really
well and using epoxy glue. If you use the fast-cure stuff (5
minutes or less), be sure to mix the epoxy very thoroughly, and
if it's fast-cure epoxy (5 minutes or less), be sure the proportions
of resin and hardener are almost exactly 50/50 or it will never
cure. Slow-cure epoxy (30 minutes or more) give you more leeway
with the proportions, but you still want to mix very thoroughly.
If you still have the broken-off pieces you can use regular epoxy,
but if big chunks of porcelain are gone you'll need epoxy putty.
Also it wouldn't hurt to use really big washers on that bolt, both
inside and outside, and isolate them from the porcelain with rubber
washers (you'll probably have to make your own washers out of a
piece of rubber), to reduce stress. Want to do a really good
repair? Reinforce the cracked areas, inside and out, with pieces
of fiberglass cloth and soak it with epoxy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was taking off my toilet tank per instructions do put in new "guts".
While unscrewing the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl, I broke off a
chunk of porcelain in which the bolt connects to. The break didnt split
the hole, just a piece about two inches all the way around it. Can this be
glued back together or do I have to get a new toilet now???

Unless this toilet is on the lowest floor, with only dirt underneath
the bathroom floor, as cheap as I am, I'd still buy a new tank or a new
toilet. (and new bolts and nuts to attach the tank to the existing
bowl)

I don' tthink they stock tanks at big box stores, and using their
catalog seems unreliable -- hard to tell if it's the same or not, if it
fits or not -- but a real plumbing supply store will, if you bring your
tank with you, and the brand and model if it says. andif your toilet
isn't very old or imported or something, likely have a tank that's just
like yours or will fit. Are plumbing supplies stores cheaper or more
expensive than HD, for example? HD has a wide range of toilet tank
prices.

Don't get a fancy imported toilet. My brother's wife did and it never
had high enough water and got dirty all the time

(Guys, could I have adjusted that??)

I haven't had to remove a tank yet, and I've wondered if I could get one
off without breaking something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 02:44:02 +0000, necountrygrl
wrote in
s.com

I was taking off my toilet tank per instructions do put in new "guts".
While unscrewing the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl, I broke off a
chunk of porcelain in which the bolt connects to. The break didnt split
the hole, just a piece about two inches all the way around it. Can this be
glued back together or do I have to get a new toilet now???

I would replace it if it was mine. A crack in porcelain can easily
start to propagate for no apparent reason. It might happen in a few
minutes or it might never happen. But if it does happen it will
probably lead to a leaking bowl or tank. I wouldn't chance it.

If cost is a problem, you can get an inexpensive one like this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/St-Thomas-Creations-Marathon-Elongated-Toilet-Bowl-Only-in-White-6201-023-01/100026578
Posted to alt.home.repair

My wife says I am cheaper than anyone else she knows, but I would definitely replace the toilet. A flood will cause more damage than the cost of a new toilet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I was taking off my toilet tank per instructions do put in new "guts".
While unscrewing the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl, I broke off a
chunk of porcelain in which the bolt connects to. The break didnt split
the hole, just a piece about two inches all the way around it. Can this be
glued back together or do I have to get a new toilet now???

Unless this toilet is on the lowest floor, with only dirt underneath
the bathroom floor,

And the threshhold to the bathroom is as high as a Dutch dike, so the
water doesn't sprea to the rest of the first floor.

as cheap as I am, I'd still buy a new tank or a new
toilet. (and new bolts and nuts to attach the tank to the existing
bowl)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 14:30:10 -0500, CRNG
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 02:44:02 +0000, necountrygrl
m wrote in
ps.com

I was taking off my toilet tank per instructions do put in new "guts".
While unscrewing the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl, I broke off a
chunk of porcelain in which the bolt connects to. The break didnt split
the hole, just a piece about two inches all the way around it. Can this be
glued back together or do I have to get a new toilet now???

I would replace it if it was mine. A crack in porcelain can easily
start to propagate for no apparent reason. It might happen in a few
minutes or it might never happen. But if it does happen it will
probably lead to a leaking bowl or tank. I wouldn't chance it.

If cost is a problem, you can get an inexpensive one like this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/St-Thomas-Creations-Marathon-Elongated-Toilet-Bowl-Only-in-White-6201-023-01/100026578

A that's the bowl only at 133 when she needs the tank.
B there was a whole toilet at only 78 dolllars
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Bath-Toilets-Toilet-Seats-Bidets-Toilets/N-5yc1vZbzbd?Ns=P_REP_PRC_MODE|0
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-B...4?N=5yc1vZbzbd
Is there any reason not to buy glacier bay? Others by them almost as
cheap.

In addition grl, if you live in a city the size of Baltimore or more,
ther may well be a store that recycles building supplies, from houses
that are torn down. It's called Second Chance here, but I don't think
that is a chain. A lot of that is fancy features that are 100 years
old but it also includes relatively new (newer than mine) kitchen
appliances, cabinets and bathroom toilets. Also, the group that
fixes up old houses for poor people, that Jimmy Carter, ugh, is
associated with, gets donations of new stuff from buiding supply
companies and I think that includes toilets and they have stores in
various cities, Ft Lauderdale was one, and you don't have to be poor to
shop at the stores.