Posted to alt.home.repair
cdm

Default Removing toilet tank ? (no tank bolts - where are they ?)

I've got a leak coming from where the toilet tank sits on top of the
back of the toilet. I can see where the old gasket is disintegrating
and have removed most of it poking with a screwdriver. Not sure how to
replace this gasket since there doesn't seem to be a way of removing
the tank from the toilet - no tank bolts ! Anyone have any suggestions
?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

cdm wrote:

I've got a leak coming from where the toilet tank sits on top of the
back of the toilet. I can see where the old gasket is disintegrating
and have removed most of it poking with a screwdriver. Not sure how to
replace this gasket since there doesn't seem to be a way of removing
the tank from the toilet - no tank bolts ! Anyone have any suggestions
?

Thanks

I never ran into one, but I believe there were some oldies where
the tank *screwed* onto the bowl. IOW, rotate the entire tank CCW.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
cdm

Interesting. Thats probably right - I see no other bolts - even in the
flush valve. That would mean un-bolting the entire toilet off the
cement floor which I'm not sure I want to do. I might just end up
squeezing some silicone around that area then. Thanks for your help
Jim.

Speedy Jim wrote:
cdm wrote:

I've got a leak coming from where the toilet tank sits on top of the
back of the toilet. I can see where the old gasket is disintegrating
and have removed most of it poking with a screwdriver. Not sure how to
replace this gasket since there doesn't seem to be a way of removing
the tank from the toilet - no tank bolts ! Anyone have any suggestions
?

Thanks

I never ran into one, but I believe there were some oldies where
the tank *screwed* onto the bowl. IOW, rotate the entire tank CCW.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
cdm

Thanks John - great message board for plumbing. At first when I read
"terrylove" , I thought I was in for some unexpected kind of plumbing -
I you know what I mean.

John H wrote:
Check with the folks on this forum
http://terrylove.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3