Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet Tank Leak - Maybe a cracked tank?

DH and a friend replaced all the parts in our two toilets today due to
slow leaks (both toilets had seals/gaskets/washers sooooo old that it
was amazing we didn't have slow leaks any sooner).

Toilet #1 is fine. Toilet #2 is leaking from the tank (in the big
gasket, screw mount area - we cannot tell for sure, even though we have
monitored it very closely). While our friend thought the leak was
coming through one of the screw holes, DH and I have think it's the big
gasket seal in the center of the toilet (that seals the hole from
toilet to bowl). The screw holes were replaced with the double rubber
seals on the inside and the washers on the outside (as I have read in
FAQ do-it-yourself toilet repair). So....everything looks good
there....

We considered the possibility that maybe this gasket was not
large/puffy enough for the hole, but it seemed to work fine for its
twin in the other bathroom. Perhaps this gasket is defective?

We tried mounting and re-mounting the tank and each time we got
different results (always a leak, but of varying degrees - from a very,
very slow sweat, to a fast, fast drip - and then everything in
between). Our friend attempted tightening the screws/bolts some more,
but that had no affect. He didn't want to screw them too fit for fear
of the tank cracking.

I have two theories:

1. The new gasket seal that goes from the outside of the tank to the
bowl hole is not large or puffy enough - OR - is defective somehow
(although it looks fine).

2. The tank has a hairline crack that we cannot see. I think we've
disproved this theory due to different results with each mounting of
the tank, but - I really don't know.

DH says, "Let's just call a plumber and be done with it". I am
hovering around our drained tank at the moment feeling like I've just
been defeated by it! I wanna fix that sucker myself!

Any ideas of something we should try differently, or should we just do
what DH says and pay for the expert to fix up or mess?

Thanks!
Paula

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pokee wrote:
[...]

Also meant to mention, we drained all of the water and dried it with a
hair dryer to inspect for cracks - we couldn't see any. We also did
the best we could to make sure the 'inside' seal was sealed as well as
it could be. It does look like it's fine.

I read somewhere else that buying an oversized gasket may fix the
problem (maybe this toilet's hole is a tad bigger or misshapened?).

I've also read that we can try silicone on the seals? Of course, it
has to be dry...

I think I just need more ideas of things to try before getting that
nifty $200 bill from the plumber...

Thanks again!
Paula

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Pokee wrote:

Pokee wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I found when I reassembled mine a couple of years ago that I had
to tighten down the bolts more than I expected to in order to stop
the big gasket leaking. I doubt you have a cracked tank -- once it
cracked, I suspect it would probably split apart pretty easily.

But no guarantees your problem is like mine, and I've only done it once.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pokee wrote:
[...]

You can buy a new tank? Not too expensive and no harder than doing what
you have already done.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had one that the internal glazing was damaged, and it wicked water. I
just covered the area with a thin layer of silicone seal, that was over
5 years ago, and it hasn't leaked a drop. I find that will even seal
cracks, seems like the ideal material to seal with silicone seal, as it
makes a long term repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had the same problem- very slow leak. I tried EVERYTHING, then
replaced the toilet and the new one was fine. It must have been a very
small crack in the old toilet. I would just go get a new one if I were
you.

Eric in North TX wrote:
I had one that the internal glazing was damaged, and it wicked water. I
just covered the area with a thin layer of silicone seal, that was over
5 years ago, and it hasn't leaked a drop. I find that will even seal
cracks, seems like the ideal material to seal with silicone seal, as it
makes a long term repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pokee wrote:
Pokee wrote:
[...]

Yes to the last. You can buy a new wc for a good
amount less than $200, and it would come with
instructions on how to assemble the tank to the base.

Not saying it is not possible, but I doubt that
the leak is from the big hole gasket unless you
assembled it wrong, it doesn't fit you wc, or it
looks damaged. More likely a seep from the two
bolts that hold the tank on the base. The more
times that you undo and redo the tank the less
likely it will seal correctly. Some tanks require
that there be a washer on each side of the tank
bolt (bolt head, washer, and gasket in tank and
gasket, washer, nut outside the tank, and then
rubber gasket or sleeve(for protecting the base)
and finally a washer and a nut on the under the
lip of the base.

In any case, I would just buy new bushings (and
probably the central gasket) and see if that
works. There is very little water pressure on
these seals (and none on the center when it isn't
flushing) so the compression shouldn't need to be
high if the seals fit well. Compression may be
needed on the final nut, but is needed more to
keep the tank steady than to prevent water leaks.
Compression on the final nut may need to be higher
for a WC that isn't designed for a nut between
tank and the base.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
I had one that the internal glazing was damaged, and it wicked water. I
just covered the area with a thin layer of silicone seal, that was over
5 years ago, and it hasn't leaked a drop. I find that will even seal
cracks, seems like the ideal material to seal with silicone seal, as it
makes a long term repair.

Well, we fixed the leak. We bought a HUGE gasket and put rubber washers
on each side of the tank. Fixed. BUT....now we see a spot on the
under side of the tank that is wicking/sweating water. When wiped
away, I counted to 3 or 4 and then started seeing new beads of water
appear in a perfect line. Soooo....there is a hairline crack - or the
glazing was damaged (as Eric has reported). It is so slow - it would
probably drop a bead of water every 12 hours - it's that slow. We'll
try doing what Eric did - drain and dry the tank and seal it up and see
what happens. Anyone know how much a new tank would be? It's an older
toilet (20 years old), so one that size/color (beige) could be hard to
find and expensive. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Paula

Water storage tank leak Bill Haines UK diy 6 August 27th 06 03:47 PM
Removing toilet tank ? (no tank bolts - where are they ?) cdm Home Repair 3 June 4th 06 11:11 PM
leak in thermal expansion tank [email protected] Home Repair 5 October 26th 05 10:00 AM
Toliet tank cracked D0nski Home Repair 4 September 2nd 04 02:14 AM
Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM