Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pressure washer

I'm in search of a pressure washer for minor cleaning of my deck, house,
drive, etc. I try to buy used for obvious reasons, but my knowledge of
PW is limited. I know some come with soap dispensers and heat, but not
concerned about heat, though soap would be nice. Anyway, my main focus
is quality of motor and pump. Most are Honda and Briggs/Stratton,
therefore, I think I'm good with a quality motor. My concern then lies
on the pump. Easy to replace? Costly? Name Brands?

What are key issues you would consider when searching for a PW?

What are name brands you would consider and stay away from?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/23/2014 2:47 PM, Meanie wrote:
I'm in search of a pressure washer for minor cleaning of my deck, house,
drive, etc. I try to buy used for obvious reasons, but my knowledge of
PW is limited. I know some come with soap dispensers and heat, but not
concerned about heat, though soap would be nice. Anyway, my main focus
is quality of motor and pump. Most are Honda and Briggs/Stratton,
therefore, I think I'm good with a quality motor. My concern then lies
on the pump. Easy to replace? Costly? Name Brands?

What are key issues you would consider when searching for a PW?

What are name brands you would consider and stay away from?

Thanks

http://www.northerntool.com/images/p..._2000x2000.jpg

Bought one of these about ten years ago and it still works like new. I
only use it about once or twice a year to do my pool deck and driveway.
It doesn't heat. More than enough power. It'll take your skin off if you
let it.

The one thing I don't like is the soap intake doesn't have a holder. It
would be easy to rig something up tho. I think it was about $100.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 15:47:27 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

I'm in search of a pressure washer for minor cleaning of my deck, house,
drive, etc. I try to buy used for obvious reasons, but my knowledge of
PW is limited. I know some come with soap dispensers and heat, but not
concerned about heat, though soap would be nice. Anyway, my main focus
is quality of motor and pump. Most are Honda and Briggs/Stratton,
therefore, I think I'm good with a quality motor. My concern then lies
on the pump. Easy to replace? Costly? Name Brands?

What are key issues you would consider when searching for a PW?

What are name brands you would consider and stay away from?

Thanks

My PW is ~ 22 years-old. B&S 5HP gas engine, using a brass CAT pump
(The Pumps with Nine Lives). Portable for use anywhere.

(Cat Pumps has proven to be the most dependable high-pressure piston
and plunger pumps...)

http://www.catpumps.com/

The only repair I have needed so far was cleaning the carb on the
engine...one time. and a short section of pressure hose line at the
pump that sprung a leak (free from the hose shop).

I'd stay away from any pump that is plastic and not brass. I'm partial
to B&S engines. Always have been. YMMV

Never let the pump freeze as it will crack the pump.

IIRC I bought the unit at Sears?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/23/2014 3:47 PM, Meanie wrote:
I'm in search of a pressure washer for minor cleaning of my deck, house,
drive, etc. I try to buy used for obvious reasons, but my knowledge of
PW is limited. I know some come with soap dispensers and heat, but not
concerned about heat, though soap would be nice. Anyway, my main focus
is quality of motor and pump. Most are Honda and Briggs/Stratton,
therefore, I think I'm good with a quality motor. My concern then lies
on the pump. Easy to replace? Costly? Name Brands?

What are key issues you would consider when searching for a PW?

What are name brands you would consider and stay away from?

Thanks

I've got experience with buying used (real mess,
they all promptly broke and had no warranty).

The one I got at last was a Husky from Home Depot,
cause it has metal pump housing. Electric. Does the
job for me, and cost about $100.

I agree with what others wrote, metal pump housing.
And don't let it get below freezing temp, even if
that means put it in the cellar.

I've never had a gasoline power unit.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/23/2014 3:47 PM, Meanie wrote:
I'm in search of a pressure washer for minor cleaning of my deck, house,
drive, etc. I try to buy used for obvious reasons, but my knowledge of
PW is limited. I know some come with soap dispensers and heat, but not
concerned about heat, though soap would be nice. Anyway, my main focus
is quality of motor and pump. Most are Honda and Briggs/Stratton,
therefore, I think I'm good with a quality motor. My concern then lies
on the pump. Easy to replace? Costly? Name Brands?

What are key issues you would consider when searching for a PW?

What are name brands you would consider and stay away from?

Thanks

I did come across a used Generac PW on Craigslist which the seller
states the motor works but the pump does not and he's not mechanically
inclined. He's asking $50 and I was thinking I could then purchase a
good pump and get it working. Though, I don't know if pumps will be easy
to find for older units and at what cost.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/23/2014 6:00 PM, Meanie wrote:

Thanks

I did come across a used Generac PW on Craigslist which the seller
states the motor works but the pump does not and he's not mechanically
inclined. He's asking $50 and I was thinking I could then purchase a
good pump and get it working. Though, I don't know if pumps will be easy
to find for older units and at what cost.

Get the model number of the PW and do some searching. Chances are
Generac may have parts available. Typically, about the only problem
you'll run into is a bad impeller or bearing, both of which should be
available - if not direct from Generac, then from their supplier who
they may be able to identify for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/23/2014 7:00 PM, Meanie wrote:

I did come across a used Generac PW on Craigslist which the seller
states the motor works but the pump does not and he's not mechanically
inclined. He's asking $50 and I was thinking I could then purchase a
good pump and get it working. Though, I don't know if pumps will be easy
to find for older units and at what cost.

I bought a PW which needed a part, and the
combination of part A, and part B, and part
C was far more than buy the whole thing new
(and get a warranty). Please research before
you buy.

OTOH, you might be able to resell the engine
and get your fifty back.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 18:25:58 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 3/23/2014 6:00 PM, Meanie wrote:

Thanks

I did come across a used Generac PW on Craigslist which the seller
states the motor works but the pump does not and he's not mechanically
inclined. He's asking $50 and I was thinking I could then purchase a
good pump and get it working. Though, I don't know if pumps will be easy
to find for older units and at what cost.

Get the model number of the PW and do some searching. Chances are
Generac may have parts available. Typically, about the only problem
you'll run into is a bad impeller or bearing, both of which should be
available - if not direct from Generac, then from their supplier who
they may be able to identify for you.

What kind of pressure washer uses an "impeller"???? They are high
pressure PISTON pumps -usually with a swashplate, but some with swiss
yoke or crankshaft opperation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 3/23/2014 6:00 PM, Meanie wrote:

Thanks

I did come across a used Generac PW on Craigslist which the seller
states the motor works but the pump does not and he's not mechanically
inclined. He's asking $50 and I was thinking I could then purchase a
good pump and get it working. Though, I don't know if pumps will be easy
to find for older units and at what cost.

Get the model number of the PW and do some searching. Chances are
Generac may have parts available. Typically, about the only problem
you'll run into is a bad impeller or bearing, both of which should be
available - if not direct from Generac, then from their supplier who
they may be able to identify for you.

Sorry - SCOTCH yoke - not swiss!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 19:47:24 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 3/23/2014 7:00 PM, Meanie wrote:

I did come across a used Generac PW on Craigslist which the seller
states the motor works but the pump does not and he's not mechanically
inclined. He's asking $50 and I was thinking I could then purchase a
good pump and get it working. Though, I don't know if pumps will be easy
to find for older units and at what cost.

I bought a PW which needed a part, and the
combination of part A, and part B, and part
C was far more than buy the whole thing new
(and get a warranty). Please research before
you buy.

OTOH, you might be able to resell the engine
and get your fifty back.

I've got one sitting in the shed needs the outlet "manifold" -an $86
part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A pressure washer is a great tool to have around the house; a number of jobs can be made easier by the use of a pressure washer. Pressure washers come in many different styles and designs, and with varying amounts of power, based on the degree of pressure provided by the pump. Knowing which pressure washer to select is essential to getting the machine that accomplish the main purpose for which the pressure washer was purchased. There are four types of pressure washers, differentiated by how the washer is powered and the basic manner in which the water is delivered. The different types of pressure washers can also be housed in one of several chassis types to facilitate their use and movement from place to place. Get more information http://www.epdmcoatings.com/elastome...-coatings.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Meanie
wrote:

[...]

Meanie-

Expect the engine to need some care, regardless of how it appears to
run. If you know how to repair gas engines, then the Generac might be a
good choice as a pump learning experience.

I have both Honda-powered and electric-powered pressure washers. The
Honda-powered unit is certainly more powerful, but the electric-powered
unit is good enough for most uses.

The Honda-Powered unit was purchased at Home Depot for five or six
hundred dollars. The electric-powered unit was purchased from Lowes for
one hundred dollars.

With a gas engine, you have to worry about changing the oil and the
carburetor getting clogged from stale gas. With either kind, you have
to worry about the pump being ruined by running it with no water supply.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

Electric powered is really handy, you can use it virtually instantly at any time. No finding the gasoline tank is crudded up because you forot to drain it the last time you used it. Only storage is an electric extension cord that you can use for other projects as well.