Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default pressure washer

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 15:47:27 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

I'm in search of a pressure washer for minor cleaning of my deck, house,
drive, etc. I try to buy used for obvious reasons, but my knowledge of
PW is limited. I know some come with soap dispensers and heat, but not
concerned about heat, though soap would be nice. Anyway, my main focus
is quality of motor and pump. Most are Honda and Briggs/Stratton,
therefore, I think I'm good with a quality motor. My concern then lies
on the pump. Easy to replace? Costly? Name Brands?

What are key issues you would consider when searching for a PW?

What are name brands you would consider and stay away from?

Thanks

My PW is ~ 22 years-old. B&S 5HP gas engine, using a brass CAT pump
(The Pumps with Nine Lives). Portable for use anywhere.

(Cat Pumps has proven to be the most dependable high-pressure piston
and plunger pumps...)

http://www.catpumps.com/

The only repair I have needed so far was cleaning the carb on the
engine...one time. and a short section of pressure hose line at the
pump that sprung a leak (free from the hose shop).

I'd stay away from any pump that is plastic and not brass. I'm partial
to B&S engines. Always have been. YMMV

Never let the pump freeze as it will crack the pump.

IIRC I bought the unit at Sears?