Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Feit CFL bulbs

Has anyone noticed a high premature failure rate for Feit CFL bulbs ?

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 22:46:36 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

Has anyone noticed a high premature failure rate for Feit CFL bulbs ?

Andy

Yes, cheap but crap. I bought them only once.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
Has anyone noticed a high premature failure rate for Feit CFL bulbs ?

Andy

Hi,
So far I like Philips brand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2014 12:46 AM, Andy wrote:
Has anyone noticed a high premature failure rate for Feit CFL bulbs ?

Andy

I have had two of approximately 20 fail on an intermittent basis. They
will quit but if I unscrew them and then put them back in they are good
to go again. An no, they were not loose in the socket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 12:46:36 AM UTC-6, Andy wrote:
Has anyone noticed a high premature failure rate for Feit CFL bulbs ? Andy

I had the same expeience, FEIT makes crappy products. Phillips is much better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 12:46:36 AM UTC-6, Andy wrote:
Has anyone noticed a high premature failure rate for Feit CFL bulbs ?
Andy

I had the same expeience, FEIT makes crappy products. Phillips is
much better.

FEIT makes crappy products

Proof: Go to McLowes. The aisle is full of FEIT.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2014 7:30 PM, Red Green wrote:
I had the same expeience, FEIT makes crappy products. Phillips is
much better.

FEIT makes crappy products

Proof: Go to McLowes. The aisle is full of FEIT.

If you find them at a promo by the cash register,
are they counter FEIT?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2014 4:30 PM, Red Green wrote:
" wrote in
:

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 12:46:36 AM UTC-6, Andy wrote:
Has anyone noticed a high premature failure rate for Feit CFL bulbs ?
Andy

I had the same expeience, FEIT makes crappy products. Phillips is
much better.

Maybe...
I've found that you can't tell.
I bought a bunch of CFL's that I really liked.
Six months later, bought more. Same package,
same model number, same everything.
They just don't start immediately or at full brightness
like the former ones.
They get 'em from the lowest price supplier at the time.

Now, I take a plug-adapter and ask to power 'em up
before I buy 'em. They think I'm crazy, but I often
refuse to buy 'em.

Lifetime is a different issue.
They're all crap. Never had one last more than 2 years.

FEIT makes crappy products

Proof: Go to McLowes. The aisle is full of FEIT.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 8:12:44 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:
[...]

I've said similar things here many times over the years.
And someone always tells me I'm nuts, how great they are,
how I should be using them everywhere, etc.

For one thing, there should be a standard where they are
rated as to how fast they get up to say 50%, 70% of full
output. As it is, anyone can claim they are instant on,
whatever and until you buy them, you don't know. My
experience with CFL doesn't leave me eager to spend $20
on an LED that's "supposed" to last a bizillion hours.
Given that LEDs also have transformers, power supplies,
etc, and are built in China or God knows where, until they
are cheap, I'm not going to be the one to experiment with them.

Hell, if they were half as good as they are supposed to be,
the govt wouldn't have to force you to buy them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2014 8:29 PM, wrote:

Hell, if they were half as good as they are supposed to be,
the govt wouldn't have to force you to buy them.

So, so true.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Mar 2014 17:29:19 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

For one thing, there should be a standard where they are
rated as to how fast they get up to say 50%, 70% of full
output.

....and if they work upside down, like is a ceramic fixture in a garage
ceiling. Mine failed. Okay in a horizontal position like a GDO.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
Has anyone noticed a high premature failure rate for Feit CFL bulbs ?

Andy

Yep.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
Andy wrote:
Has anyone noticed a high premature failure rate for Feit CFL bulbs ?

Andy

Yep.

Greg

Hi,
I just installled 60W rated cool white Phillips LED bulbs.
(Still quite pricy)
Will see if they last better than CFL.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

For one thing, there should be a standard where they are

rated as to how fast they get up to say 50%, 70% of full

output.

...and if they work upside down, like is a ceramic fixture in a garage

ceiling. Mine failed. Okay in a horizontal position like a GDO.

Yeah, that's another classice. I have the spiral types installed in
my garage and basement. They said not to install them upside down, but
I didn't get to that part until I bought them. But thinking about it,
they have no enclosure, easy air flow around them. So, I put them in.
They don't get many hours, but they have lasted I'd say 5 years plus.
A couple have now failed in the garage. Nowhere near the claimed hours,
but no different than the experience I've had with other CFLs regardless
of position. The biggest complaint I have is that they take forever to
warm up in the garage in winter. Can't see a damn thing for at least a
minute. Which again is why there should be some rating standard in the
industry that state how long they take to get to say 60% of full output
at 70F, 40F, 20F.

But they won't be around all that much longer. We're off to the next
science experiment with LEDS. But I'm still not going to spend $20
each for a bunch of LEDS to find out how long they last. Givent that
they have some of the exact same requirements, eg a switching power
supply made some place like China as cheap as possible, I see no reason
to believe that they are going to last the 50,000 hours or whatever
they claim either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:05:14 AM UTC-5, mike wrote:
On 3/5/2014 5:29 PM, wrote:

Hell, if they were half as good as they are supposed to be,

the govt wouldn't have to force you to buy them.

Well, it's all about inertia. People stick with what they know.

That's why most people are still using analog cell phones that
weigh a pound, buying CRT TV's, using typewriters, spinning LPs,
and using VHS players, right?

Wrong. Beta :-)

And if you have it covered in duct tape, you'll never be lacking a
conversation with company.

Economy of scale is very important here. Gotta get the price

down quickly. That won't happen if you don't force it.

BS. See the above. And once you get the govt in the habit
of "forcing" things, typically a lot of bad things happen.
Like Solyndra, Beacon Power, Evergreen Solar, SpectraWatt,
Eastern Energy, A123 Batteries. Those are just some of the
examples where the taxpayers lost billions because the govt
thought they knew more than free markets and could "force"
things to happen.

One problem is that LED aren't terribly more efficient than CFL.

Utilities don't have the incentive to subsidize them.

And I've got a pile of CFL left over from when they did subsidize
them.

40W-equivalent LED lamps are available at rational prices.

As soon as the 60W get down to $5, it will be time to try some.

60W are dead to me. 90W floods, 100W regular style, then you
have what I use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:21:20 PM UTC-6, Red Green wrote:
" wrote in

:

On 3/5/2014 5:29 PM, wrote:

[...]

Thanks for all the replies.

Walmart's Great Value bulbs are even much better than Feit. :-)

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 00:21:20 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

And if you have it covered in duct tape, you'll never be lacking a
conversation with company.

...and contain that dangerous mercury after the bulb breaks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:d7jih9l6p1fvpu7aonud27trburqo8h0ov@
4ax.com:

wrote:

And if you have it covered in duct tape, you'll never be lacking a
conversation with company.

..and contain that dangerous mercury after the bulb breaks

No Oren. I mean having a Duct Tape covered Beta player. Classy, ehhh...