Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Something to keep water from ceiling tiles

I have a business in a rental space and every time it rains a lot, small drips of water come through the roof and ruin some of my ceiling tiles. I have been unable to get the land lord to fix the problem. Is there some sort of sponge layer I can put above the tiles and insulation to absorb this water? It is not a lot of water, just enough to soak through and stain a tile.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have a business in a rental space and every time it rains a lot, small
drips of water come through the roof and ruin some of my ceiling tiles. I
have been unable to get the land lord to fix the problem. Is there some
sort of sponge layer I can put above the tiles and insulation to absorb
this water? It is not a lot of water, just enough to soak through and stain a tile.

Thanks.

If you know where the leaks are, perhaps you can use some plastic sheeting
and make a funnel of sorts to direct the water to a place where you can
collect it.

When I had water infiltration due to a serious ice dam issue, the water
would drip all along a couple of doorways, I hung plastic sheeting in a "U"
shape to direct the water to one side of the doorway and into a bucket.

Collect the water and whenever the landlords come around, throw it at them
until they fix the problem. ;-)
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I have a business in a rental space and every time it rains a lot, small drips of water come through the roof and ruin some of my ceiling tiles. I have been unable to get the land lord to fix the problem. Is there some sort of sponge layer I can put above the tiles and insulation to absorb this water? It is not a lot of water, just enough to soak through and stain a tile.

Thanks.
If it wuz me, I would remove the ceiling tiles in the area where the leak occurs and paint the back side and edges of them with boiled linseed oil. You might want to mask off the white bottoms of the tiles to prevent getting BLO on them.

Allow several days for the BLO to dry. It'll take just as long as those old linseed oil based paints to dry.

The BLO will seal the tile and prevent water from being absorbed into it. The water up there will then either evaporate, or seep down between the tiles (which is why you want to paint the edges of the tiles with BLO, too.)

You might also consider using a two part clear liquid epoxy as well, but it's just not as user friendly as BLO. With the epoxy, once mixed it's gonna harden, and so you have to guestimate how much to mix up before hand.

PS:
It's a popular misconception that oil based coatings yellow with age. Yellowing only occurs when there's a lack of sunlight hitting the coating. Exposure to direct or indirect sunlight will be sufficient to prevent yellowing in any oil based coating. So, if you don't need to turn the lights on in your rental space during the day, that'll be enough indirect sunlight to prevent the BLO from yellowing with age.

Last edited by nestork : March 5th 14 at 12:06 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 22:45:58 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Collect the water and whenever the landlords come around, throw it at them
until they fix the problem. ;-)

Um, that sounds like a waste of water
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Mar 2014 01:01:35 +0100, nestork
wrote:

If it wuz me, I would remove the ceiling tiles in the area where the
leak occurs and

Nestor,

Doing things against the lease may violate the rental agreement. OP
should read his lease _again_. He could be evicted. In many states,
the landlord is responsible for major repairs by law, not the tenant.
Tenants replace light bulbs - not fix roof leaks.

....and check the laws in Texas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/4/2014 7:01 PM, nestork wrote:

;3206492 Wrote:
[...]

I'd be careful with any kind of natural oil, that
might spontaneous combust. Of course a flat surface
isn't crumpled rags in the corners. But even so.

Some hardware stores sell a spray can called Kilz
Upshot, which does a good job of masking the water
damge. Can sprays upright, and is near the same
color as the tiles. I've used it with success.

If you coat the tiles with BLO, would you use a
BLO dryer on it?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/4/2014 4:39 PM, wrote:
I have a business in a rental space and every time it rains a lot, small drips of water come through the roof and ruin some of my ceiling tiles. I have been unable to get the land lord to fix the problem. Is there some sort of sponge layer I can put above the tiles and insulation to absorb this water? It is not a lot of water, just enough to soak through and stain a tile.

Thanks.

You can get catchers like these
http://www.newpig.com/pig/US/patch-r...diverters-7241
or make your own with plastic. Though, they are shown fastened below
the ceiling tiles, you can also fasten them above if there's plenty of
space between as well as places to fasten them.

If the leak(s) isn't heavy, you can simply put a bucket or some other
catch pan above the ceiling tiles. I suggest using a piece of wood or
some other cross supports to rest on the grids, then put the pan/bucket
on it. If you forget about it or the leak is constant, you want to avoid
having it come through the ceiling tile when weight is applied.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/4/2014 7:03 PM, Adam Kubias wrote:

We have the same thing in our office. It's a rental space, but we are
renting off of a charity who is giving us a great rate (they are
supporting the non-profit).

Sometimes playing hard-ass with the landlord doesn't get you anywhere

Not very charitable of them to have you work in a dump. Being a charity
or a "non profit" does not release them from either the moral or legal
obligation to provide a safe environment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 16:48:35 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

wrote:
I have a business in a rental space and every time it rains a lot, small drips of water come through the roof and ruin some of my ceiling tiles. I have been unable to get the land lord to fix the problem. Is there some sort of sponge layer I can put above the tiles and insulation to absorb this water? It is not a lot of water, just enough to soak through and stain a tile.

I like the plastic sheet idea. If you can narrow the places down even
more, maybe some aluminum gutters will catch it.

Thanks.

Hi,
Rental space? Landlord won't fix the problem? Have it fixed and deduct
the cost from your rent or withhold rent until he fixes the problem.

Better read your lease AND see a lawyer before you do either of these.
Some states allow such things for residential renters, but in other
states it's a thruway to eviction land. AIUI, commercial leases and
laws tend to be even harder on tenants.

Remember that withholding rent is verrrrry much like not paying your
rent. And deducting the cost from your rent payment is verrrry much
like not paying all your rent, which is usually as bad legally as not
paying any of it.

Wonder what kinda lease/rental agreement you have..... We have small
specialty retail operation in a strip mall(part of big shopping complex)
If such thing happens, it's a matter of phone call to the property
management(landlord's agent).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Anyone have any experience with this product?

http://www.newpig.com/pig/US/patch-r...cher-7349/0/20
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Now ain't that something. While everyone was telling you that the place
is falling down and the roof needs to be fixed, you've actually found a
product just made for your problem. Seems like kind of a nutty product
to me, with possible ban consequences, ie mold, but heh, if it works for
you in a rental, go for it.

Ceiling tiles fido UK diy 8 January 19th 09 09:01 PM
Ceiling tiles, dropped ceiling Cshenk Home Repair 3 November 7th 07 02:07 AM
Sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles bluerock1 Home Repair 4 November 8th 06 05:10 AM
new tiles over existing tiles in outdoor water fountain [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 2nd 06 04:44 PM
ceiling tiles jozep7075 Home Ownership 0 January 23rd 05 01:34 AM