Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling tiles, dropped ceiling

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:30:15 -0800, Cshenk wrote:

Hi! Next project in line after the renters, is to replace the dropped
ceiling tiles in the kitchen.

1. Is there a preferred way to clean and then perhaps repaint the frame
(if needed) without damaging it? There is minor rust looking bits in
some spots but it may be a combination of grease and cigarette smoke.
We havent done more than look up as of yet. (My first trial will be to
try wiping with 409 which may be all it needs). It's whte factory
'painted' semi-gloss metal.

2. I can see several manufacturers at the 2 LHS's (Lowes and Home
Depot). Do any know if one is better for kitchen use? They all seem the
same to me except one of them has a sort of unique swirl to it. Costs
only a little more so were going with that one unless anyone has a brand
they find better for this use. Neither LHS has a recommendation.

A dropped ceiling for the kitchen wouldn't be my first choice because of
grease, smoke, etc. Impossible to clean.

Any chance you could remove the dropped ceiling and replace with a layer
of sheetrock? If it's a small kitchen, it may be easier and sharper
looking than attempting a rehab on a dropped ceiling. No matter how you
try to clean up the gridwork, it's going to still be gridwork.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just installed a ceiling, so just a note. I made a ding in a panel and
tried to out-ding it with hot water (on a rag) like you can do with freshly
dented wood. The only thing I drew out was a permanent large brown stain -
so don't get any new panels too wet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"franz frippl" wrote

Hi! Next project in line after the renters, is to replace the dropped
ceiling tiles in the kitchen.

A dropped ceiling for the kitchen wouldn't be my first choice because of
grease, smoke, etc. Impossible to clean.

True but financing all the other repairs doesnt lead to other olutions at
this time.

Any chance you could remove the dropped ceiling and replace with a layer
of sheetrock? If it's a small kitchen, it may be easier and sharper
looking than attempting a rehab on a dropped ceiling. No matter how you
try to clean up the gridwork, it's going to still be gridwork.

Not at this time. The panels are pretty cheap. As another said, dont
get'em wet g.

Sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles bluerock1 Home Repair 4 November 8th 06 05:10 AM
polystyrene ceiling tiles keith_765 UK diy 26 August 24th 06 08:44 PM
Would you put all ceiling tiles in a new construction? Han Solo Home Ownership 4 April 5th 05 02:19 AM
ceiling tiles jozep7075 Home Ownership 0 January 23rd 05 01:34 AM
Ceiling tiles. Jon Gilbert UK diy 1 December 4th 03 04:58 PM