Posted to alt.home.repair
franz frippl franz frippl is offline

Default Ceiling tiles, dropped ceiling

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:30:15 -0800, Cshenk wrote:

Hi! Next project in line after the renters, is to replace the dropped
ceiling tiles in the kitchen.

1. Is there a preferred way to clean and then perhaps repaint the frame
(if needed) without damaging it? There is minor rust looking bits in
some spots but it may be a combination of grease and cigarette smoke.
We havent done more than look up as of yet. (My first trial will be to
try wiping with 409 which may be all it needs). It's whte factory
'painted' semi-gloss metal.

2. I can see several manufacturers at the 2 LHS's (Lowes and Home
Depot). Do any know if one is better for kitchen use? They all seem the
same to me except one of them has a sort of unique swirl to it. Costs
only a little more so were going with that one unless anyone has a brand
they find better for this use. Neither LHS has a recommendation.

A dropped ceiling for the kitchen wouldn't be my first choice because of
grease, smoke, etc. Impossible to clean.

Any chance you could remove the dropped ceiling and replace with a layer
of sheetrock? If it's a small kitchen, it may be easier and sharper
looking than attempting a rehab on a dropped ceiling. No matter how you
try to clean up the gridwork, it's going to still be gridwork.