Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Doorknob Installation

I'd like to install an electric doorknob. Is this a difficult job?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'd like to install an electric doorknob. Is this a difficult job?

It's no harder than installing any other door knob. I installed electronics
locks on both my front door and back door. I have a keypad for my garage
door. One code and you can get in any door. I never carry a house key.

The level of difficulty will depend on what you already have. If all of the
holes you need are already in the door, then it's just a bunch of screws.
If you have to drill the door or jamb, then it all depends on your level of
handiness. The locks will come with instructions and templates for
drilling. Look up the instruction manual on line to help you decide if you
can handle the job.

Most lock sets will have an adjustable latch/deadbolt assembly so you can
match your current setback, so that shouldn't be an issue - unless you have
a nonstandard setback.

The one caution I will offer is that you need to be very accurate with the
placement of your strike plates. While the human hand is very capable of
forcing the deadbolt past a strike plate that is slightly out of alignment,
the electronic lock doesn't have that strength and will balk when it
encounters resistance. The make of lock that you use will also matter in
that regard. My Kwikset is lot stronger than my less expensive Gatehouse
lock and has shown that it can push past more resistance, like when
moisture moves things a bit. You can hear it in the motor.

The other thing I like better about the Kwikset over the Gatehouse is that
the Kwikset knows when it is locked vs. unlocked. The Gatehouse tries to do
whatever you tell it to do and you can hear the "confusion" in the motor.
It also messes something up inside the unit and makes it harder to use
until you "reset" it by locking it with the interior knob and then
unlocking it with the keypad so it knows which state it is in.

I suggest you avoid the less expensive Gatehouse models.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 22, 2014 12:34:08 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I'd like to install an electric doorknob. Is this a difficult job?

Very interesting and useful response to the OP!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2014 7:19 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
wrote:
I'd like to install an electric doorknob. Is this a difficult job?

I never carry a house key.

The one caution I will offer is that you need to be very accurate with the
placement of your strike plates. While the human hand is very capable of
forcing the deadbolt past a strike plate that is slightly out of alignment,
the electronic lock doesn't have that strength and will balk when it
encounters resistance.

I do carry a key. It is in my bill fold someplace. I haven't ever
used it, but in the unlikely case that the batteries go dead all the
doors at the same time I will be able to get in. Just one more
case of belt and suspenders.

I also have a problem with the door into the garage not always hitting
just right. It has to be firmly closed before it will lock. That is
mostly because the foundation has shifted because of the drought and
keeps it from closing properly. Last August when we got some good
rain it started working much better. Then it dried up again and now
it is dragging a little.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 13:19:26 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

I'd like to install an electric doorknob. Is this a difficult job?

The one caution I will offer is that you need to be very accurate with the
placement of your strike plates. While the human hand is very capable of
forcing the deadbolt past a strike plate that is slightly out of alignment,
the electronic lock doesn't have that strength and will balk when it
encounters resistance. The make of lock that you use will also matter in
that regard. My Kwikset is lot stronger than my less expensive Gatehouse
lock and has shown that it can push past more resistance, like when
moisture moves things a bit. You can hear it in the motor.

Are these powered by batteries?

I was looking for something that would lock and unlock using a fob on my
key ring, like a car alarm. Do they sell those? (I have no desire
to lock the door via a cell phone.)

Thanks.

The other thing I like better about the Kwikset over the Gatehouse is that
the Kwikset knows when it is locked vs. unlocked. The Gatehouse tries to do
whatever you tell it to do and you can hear the "confusion" in the motor.
It also messes something up inside the unit and makes it harder to use
until you "reset" it by locking it with the interior knob and then
unlocking it with the keypad so it knows which state it is in.

I suggest you avoid the less expensive Gatehouse models.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I have a GDO. I'd have to lose power and 2 sets of batteries all at the
same time for there to be an issue with getting in.

You will also note that I said that I never _carry_ a house key. I didn't
say that there wasn't one hidden on my property.

I'm really not concerned about being locked out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 22, 2014 12:34:08 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I'd like to install an electric doorknob. Is this a difficult job?

DD/3 means "backset"! (and yes they are battery operated)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob_Villa wrote:
On Saturday, February 22, 2014 12:34:08 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I'd like to install an electric doorknob. Is this a difficult job?

DD/3 means "backset"! (and yes they are battery operated)

Must be my aixelsyD acting up.

BTW...There are AC powered door strikes that can be remote controlled. It's
low voltage, but it is AC.

e.g.

http://www.smarthome.com/5190S/Lee-E...e-Locks/p.aspx
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 22, 2014 9:34:20 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

BTW...There are AC powered door strikes that can be remote controlled. It's

low voltage, but it is AC.

e.g.

http://www.smarthome.com/5190S/Lee-E...e-Locks/p.aspx

Now were comparing "apples to oranges"...he asked about an electronic lock not a backset! *L*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2014 10:14 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:
On Saturday, February 22, 2014 12:34:08 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I'd like to install an electric doorknob. Is this a difficult job?

DD/3 means "backset"! (and yes they are battery operated)

As a locksmith of 25+ years, backset
is the distance between the edge of the
door to the center of the lock hole.
Typically 2 3/8 or 2 3/4 inches.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2014 10:34 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

BTW...There are AC powered door strikes that can be remote controlled. It's
low voltage, but it is AC.

e.g.

http://www.smarthome.com/5190S/Lee-E...e-Locks/p.aspx

I've seen electric release strikes in 12 or
24 volts, AC or DC. Some are either AC or DC.

There's fail safe, and fail secure....

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2014 10:44 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

Now were comparing "apples to oranges"...he

asked about an electronic lock not a backset!
*L*

Most electronic locks have a backset.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2014 9:44 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I never carry a house key.

The one caution I will offer is that you need to be very accurate with the
placement of your strike plates. While the human hand is very capable of
forcing the deadbolt past a strike plate that is slightly out of alignment,
the electronic lock doesn't have that strength and will balk when it
encounters resistance.

I do carry a key. It is in my bill fold someplace. I haven't ever
used it, but in the unlikely case that the batteries go dead all the
doors at the same time I will be able to get in. Just one more
case of belt and suspenders.

Better locks have terminals for jumper cables. You just pull the car
close to the door and hook up the cables and unlock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:11:01 AM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/22/2014 10:44 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

Now were comparing "apples to oranges"...he

asked about an electronic lock not a backset!

*L*

Most electronic locks have a backset.

--

.

Christopher A. Young

Learn about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

brilliant!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2014 11:04 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/22/2014 9:44 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I never carry a house key.

The one caution I will offer is that you need to be very accurate
with the
placement of your strike plates. While the human hand is very
capable of
forcing the deadbolt past a strike plate that is slightly out of
alignment,
the electronic lock doesn't have that strength and will balk when it
encounters resistance.

I do carry a key. It is in my bill fold someplace. I haven't ever
used it, but in the unlikely case that the batteries go dead all the
doors at the same time I will be able to get in. Just one more
case of belt and suspenders.

Better locks have terminals for jumper cables. You just pull the car
close to the door and hook up the cables and unlock.

What size cables do you need for that? The ones I keep in the car
are #6, that is good enough to jump most cars. Do you need heavier
ones for a lock?

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/22/2014 9:44 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I never carry a house key.

The one caution I will offer is that you need to be very accurate with the
placement of your strike plates. While the human hand is very capable of
forcing the deadbolt past a strike plate that is slightly out of alignment,
the electronic lock doesn't have that strength and will balk when it
encounters resistance.

I do carry a key. It is in my bill fold someplace. I haven't ever
used it, but in the unlikely case that the batteries go dead all the
doors at the same time I will be able to get in. Just one more
case of belt and suspenders.

Better locks have terminals for jumper cables. You just pull the car
close to the door and hook up the cables and unlock.

I don't need no stinkin' cables.

I don't pull the car close to the door, I drive the car _through_ the door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

electric door lock was the best 100 bucks I ever spent. batteries last a year or two, you can tell when they are getting low by the sound the lock makes