Posted to alt.home.repair

Default windows?

Hi All,

I've got to replace some windows in some concrete-block houses. These
houses are in a low-rent area so the window design needs to be robust.

What's a good value today in a vinyl window?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/08/2014 08:38 AM, JohnK wrote:
Hi All,

I've got to replace some windows in some concrete-block houses. These
houses are in a low-rent area so the window design needs to be robust.

What's a good value today in a vinyl window?

The mid-grade is usually your best value.

If you get the cheapest ones, they will fall apart.

The most expensive ones just give slightly better insulation
but at a lot more cost.

If you do NOT include heat with the rent, there is at least a chance the
tenants won't break them.

In college, me and my buddies used to paint houses and repair windows
and half my jobs were for low income housing. The people who lived there
did not want broken windows.

On one job, one of my colleagues slightly cracked a new window he just
put in. The tenant made him replace it again before we left the job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

If I was the tenant I'd make the installer replace it also. Who do you
think the landlord is going to blame once the installer leaves? At a
minimum I wouldn't put my security deposit at risk by letting the installer
leave without documenting that he broke the window and that a replacement
was on order.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 14:38:12 +0000 (UTC), JohnK
wrote:

Hi All,

I've got to replace some windows in some concrete-block houses. These
houses are in a low-rent area so the window design needs to be robust.

Just where are these houses located? I'm guessing not Antarctica,
because what you would need there is not the same as Miami of Lake
Placid, New York.

What's a good value today in a vinyl window?

Depends. 10 Windows or 119?
Posted to alt.home.repair

JohnK wrote:
Hi All,

I've got to replace some windows in some concrete-block houses. These
houses are in a low-rent area so the window design needs to be robust.

What's a good value today in a vinyl window?

Robust in what regard? Rough usage by the occupants or security to prevent
break-ins?

Very few windows, by themselves, are going to prevent break-ins. If that's
what you mean by "robust" then consider window bars, either interior so the
tenants can operate them...

http://www.protectamerica.com/home-s...ty-windows.jpg

Or exterior...

http://www.windows-bars.com/uploads/...90539_orig.jpg

If you want something that will hold up to any type of rough usage from the
tenants then you are probably going to spend more than you like. You will
be looking for metal pins instead of plastic for the sliders and other
"upgraded" features.

I suggest you look around your area for a place that services contractors,
such as Norandex/Reynolds, and give them your requirements.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/08/2014 10:09 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On one job, one of my colleagues slightly cracked a new window he just
put in. The tenant made him replace it again before we left the job.

If I was the tenant I'd make the installer replace it also. Who do you
think the landlord is going to blame once the installer leaves? At a
minimum I wouldn't put my security deposit at risk by letting the installer
leave without documenting that he broke the window and that a replacement
was on order.

Exactly.

If the window was cracked, the owner would have blamed the tenant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 16:09:38 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On one job, one of my colleagues slightly cracked a new window he just
put in. The tenant made him replace it again before we left the job.

If I was the tenant I'd make the installer replace it also. Who do you
think the landlord is going to blame once the installer leaves? At a
minimum I wouldn't put my security deposit at risk by letting the installer
leave without documenting that he broke the window and that a replacement
was on order.

....plus if Argon filled they loose insulation value.

On a rental I owned, de-glazed the stationary glass pane that was
cracked. I had a local window shop make me a new one. Putting it in
I made a crack ~ 1 inch in the corner. Pulled it back out and
returned to the shop for another one. The shop guy mentioned it would
cost me again. I explained that it was my fault so I would not expect
him to just make me a new one. Hung around the shop while they made
me a new one. I did ask them to make a tad smaller by ~ 1/8 inch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2014 11:22 AM, Oren wrote:

What's a good value today in a vinyl window?

Depends. 10 Windows or 119?

Why would it matter? If a well made window is $100, is it a good value
for 10 but not for 20? or 50?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

philo wrote:
[...]

Not only that, the tenant is the landlord's eyes. He's there more than
the landlord is, and if he sees that the contractor the ll hired is
doing a bad job, he should either get him to do a good job or notify the
ll. Whether there's a legal duty or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 2/8/2014 11:22 AM, Oren wrote:

What's a good value today in a vinyl window?

Depends. 10 Windows or 119?

Why would it matter? If a well made window is $100, is it a good value
for 10 but not for 20? or 50?

Might be able to get used ones if only a few.