Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cost of trailer heater tape?

Guy across the street from me had his water
freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip.
He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them.
They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater
tape, under his trailer.

What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know,
never had it done.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/04/2014 05:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Guy across the street from me had his water
freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip.
He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them.
They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater
tape, under his trailer.

What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know,
never had it done.

Why didn't you ask him?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote in :

Guy across the street from me had his water
freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip.
He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them.
They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater
tape, under his trailer.

What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know,
never had it done.

Something like:

(Hourly rate) x (number of hours) + cost of heat tape + cost to repair any damage done by freezing

- or -

Flat fee quoted
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 17:15:19 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 02/04/2014 05:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Guy across the street from me had his water
freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip.
He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them.
They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater
tape, under his trailer.

What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know,
never had it done.

Why didn't you ask him?

How much does that cost? "About that much."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2014 6:15 PM, philo wrote:
On 02/04/2014 05:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Guy across the street from me had his water
freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip.
He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them.
They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater
tape, under his trailer.

What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know,
never had it done.

Why didn't you ask him?

I did ask him. I think he got reamed, and counter
sunk. But, I don't want to reveal what he says he
paid, until I get a couple prices from this list.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

Guy across the street from me had his water
freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip.
He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them.
They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater
tape, under his trailer.

What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know,
never had it done.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org

You have a computer and a telephone. Check the price of a 50 foot heater
tape that has a thermostat on the end. Do NOT cover the thermostat when you
wrap the heating part with insulation because the thermostat should work of
air temperature. About 40 degrees will turn on.. WW
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 21:54:05 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 2/4/2014 6:15 PM, philo wrote:
On 02/04/2014 05:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Guy across the street from me had his water
freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip.
He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them.
They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater
tape, under his trailer.

What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know,
never had it done.

Why didn't you ask him?

I did ask him. I think he got reamed, and counter
sunk. But, I don't want to reveal what he says he
paid, until I get a couple prices from this list.

30 feet is $50 at Home Despot. 60 watts, thermostatically operated
(comes on at 38F - protects to -40-ish. So he's looking at $100 in
parts

In the USA Lowes has 30 foot 210 watt +/- for about $40.

If he paid less than $200 he didn't get hosed too bad. Add any
plumbing repairs and $300 would still be a good price.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/04/2014 06:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Guy across the street from me had his water
freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip.
He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them.
They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater
tape, under his trailer.

What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know,
never had it done.

Working under trailers is a pain in the ass.
Often it is an even bigger problem to collect payment.

My absolute minimum *upfront* charge would start at $500.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2014 10:40 PM, WW wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

Guy across the street from me had his water
freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip.
He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them.
They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater
tape, under his trailer.

What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know,
never had it done.

Wish you had written something in the text body,
instead of the signature box (which is automatically
deleted). What did you say?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2014 06:32 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Wish you had written something in the text body,
instead of the signature box (which is automatically
deleted). What did you say?

Here is what his cut off message says:

"My news reader is mis-configured and this section of my message has
been cut off...so please ignore it."

To WW:

You have put your message below the delimiter and many news readers will
not pick it up. If you want everyone here to see your words, place you
message ABOVE the delimiter.

OK now here is what WW /actually/ said:

You have a computer and a telephone. Check the price of a 50 foot heater
tape that has a thermostat on the end. Do NOT cover the thermostat when
you wrap the heating part with insulation because the thermostat should
work of air temperature. About 40 degrees will turn on.. WW
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2014 5:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Guy across the street from me had his water
freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip.
He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them.
They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater
tape, under his trailer.

What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know,
never had it done.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to charge extra for having to crawl under
a trailer in weather like this. After all, your neighbor didn't want
to do it himself. Assuming it took less than two hours to do the job,
I wouldn't be surprised if the plumber charged $200-$300 for his
labor, plus the cost of the tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/05/2014 07:14 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
snip

It wouldn't be unreasonable to charge extra for having to crawl under a
trailer in weather like this. After all, your neighbor didn't want to do
it himself. Assuming it took less than two hours to do the job, I
wouldn't be surprised if the plumber charged $200-$300 for his labor,
plus the cost of the tape.

If the guy did a good job and at an affordable price it was worth it.

My boss used to say:

You waste more money by underpaying for an inadequate repair job than if
you overpay for one that's done properly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 05:18:50 -0500, Damning Dumass - Welfare TeaBillie
wrote:

On 02/04/2014 06:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Guy across the street from me had his water
freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip.
He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them.
They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater
tape, under his trailer.

What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know,
never had it done.

Working under trailers is a pain in the ass.
Often it is an even bigger problem to collect payment.

My absolute minimum *upfront* charge would start at $500.

Big 10-4 on the getting paid. And the pain in the ass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/04/2014 06:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Guy across the street from me had his water
freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip.
He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them.
They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater
tape, under his trailer.

What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know,
never had it done.

Working under trailers is a pain in the ass.
Often it is an even bigger problem to collect payment.

My absolute minimum *upfront* charge would start at $500.

I've done plenty of work under trailers, and it's a major pain in the
ass. Even worse in real cold weather. I recently acquired my own
trailer house to use as a guest house and for storage on my farm. I
made sure it was raised a minimum of 2 feet off the ground and since
it's on a slight hill, it's 6 feet off the ground on the other end. It
sure makes it easier to work under, when the trailer is high. I once
tried to work on one that has less than one foot clearance (as little as
5 inches in spots). I damn near got stuck under there. I'm not really
overweight, but I realized I could not do the repair. I told the owner
to either find a real skinny person to do the job, or get the trailer
jacked up at least another foot. I left and just told the guy "No
charge".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 17:15:19 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 02/04/2014 05:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Guy across the street from me had his water
freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip.
He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them.
They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater
tape, under his trailer.

What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know,
never had it done.

Why didn't you ask him?

He's probably one of these people who goes to a bar, sits down next to a
friend on a barstool or at a table, and they communicate with each other
by texting each other on their cellphones. I thought this was just
silliness or a joke, until I actually saw it occur in a local bar.
Worse yet, I've been seeing it repeatedly. All of them are in their
20's (age). I really dont understand why????? Is it poor education, or
just plain stupidity????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 14:44:16 -0600, philo* wrote:

I dare not criticize the younger generation, when I was that age I did
much stupider things.

Such as??????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2014 2:44 PM, philo wrote:

I dare not criticize the younger generation, when I was that age I did
much stupider things.

*snicker*

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's ok to admit things, but not on the internet where your kids and grandkids can find out everything that you don't want them to know about you!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
[...]

Kids and teens do it too. I can see it in situations where they need to be
quiet but that doesn't apply to what I've seen. Makes no sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2014 6:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Guy across the street from me had his water
freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip.
He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them.
They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater
tape, under his trailer.

What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know,
never had it done.

Says he called Roto Rooter "never an over time
charge". They charged him $672.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2014 06:37 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/4/2014 6:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Guy across the street from me had his water
freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip.
He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them.
They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater
tape, under his trailer.

What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know,
never had it done.

Says he called Roto Rooter "never an over time
charge". They charged him $672.

I am sure he could have found someone to do it for half that price...
but if they did it absolutely right, then it's really no major big deal.

In the grand scheme of things , what's a couple of hundred bucks?

If he did not get it done and his pipes froze, he could have been out
thousands.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:14:01 AM UTC-5, philo* wrote:
On 02/06/2014 06:37 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 2/4/2014 6:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Guy across the street from me had his water

freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip.

He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them.

They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater

tape, under his trailer.

What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know,

never had it done.

Says he called Roto Rooter "never an over time

charge". They charged him $672.

I am sure he could have found someone to do it for half that price...

That's why Stormin is ****ed, he wanted it to be him... lol

Some missing factors are how long did it take?, two guys?, is that
all they did?, and what agreement was there as to price before
they started? There are a lot of factors in a job like this,
everything from maybe digging out snow to get to the crawlspace,
how accessible the pipes were, is it one straight run or 6
separate ones, was there an outlet to plug it in
to, etc. If it's easy access, one straight run, outlet right there,
it's going to be a lot easier and faster to do than if there
are lots of obstacles. If it was relatively easy to do, then
the price is steep.

but if they did it absolutely right, then it's really no major big deal.

In the grand scheme of things , what's a couple of hundred bucks?

If he did not get it done and his pipes froze, he could have been out

thousands.

He should have gotten a price for the job upfront. But it sounds
like this was done in an emergency when he was probably lucky to
find someone to do it at all. Even most of the heat tapes were all sold
out during that deep freeze period. Which could also be a factor.
It's possible the only heat tape left was some of the premium
products and the heat tape may have cost $150 alone. Without
knowing all the facts, impossible to say if it was fair or he got
screwed. But for sure it's better than busted pipes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2014 08:44 AM, wrote:

snip

But for sure it's better than busted pipes.

Yep!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 5:09:25 PM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Guy across the street from me had his water freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip. He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them. They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater tape, under his trailer. What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know, never had it done. -- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus www.lds.org .

Storm said he had pipe freeze, didn't say if it burst or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 07:37:09 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 2/4/2014 6:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Guy across the street from me had his water
freeze, again. He didn't leave a faucet drip.
He'd seen ad for plumbing, and called them.
They came out, and put on 50 feet of heater
tape, under his trailer.

What's that all supposed to cost? I don't know,
never had it done.

Says he called Roto Rooter "never an over time
charge". They charged him $672.

Sounds like they don't NEED to charge overtime - - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/06/2014 01:42 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/6/2014 1:06 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 07:37:09 -0500, Stormin Mormon
Says he called Roto Rooter "never an over time
charge". They charged him $672.

Sounds like they don't NEED to charge overtime - - - -

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

If you think an education is expensive, compare it to the cost of ignorance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 17:28:24 -0500, 0ren 0ren@::1 wrote:

If you think an education is expensive, compare it to the cost of ignorance.

Are you saying you have a large bank account with mass amounts of
savings?

Ya lame canuck...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2014 8:32 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

this thread drift is ammusing. I sit in front of the
computer, with a mug of hot chocolate, wishing for warmer
weather. Where is all that global warming we were
promised?

Here you go cumulonimbus Mormon:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/File:Fire_Gore.jpg