Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to open this semi flush glass disk light fixture?

I have a light fixture in my bedroom that I have no idea how to open. It is basically a flattened disk, almost like a translucent glass pasta bowl, with no visible removable parts. The disk is mounted in a cylinder that's maybe an inch tall which also has no visible removable parts.

Everything fits together smoothly. The only even slightly noticable feature is a dimple on the mounting piece, but I don't see any use for this.

I've tried twisting the two parts of the glass bowl to no effect. I've also tried twisting the glass off the mounting piece, but the clearance is so short that this is almost impossible. I've also tried twisting the whole light, but that seems to be moving the wires in the ceiling which I don't want to torque. Similarly, I've tried gently pulling and that didn't work.

Has anyone seen a fixture like this? Any idea how to open it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure how to add images to these posts, so I uploaded a couple he

http://imgur.com/syUPGdb
http://imgur.com/4xTYWZ3
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2014 12:16 PM, wrote:
I'm not sure how to add images to these posts, so I uploaded a couple he

http://imgur.com/syUPGdb
http://imgur.com/4xTYWZ3

Usually those require that one gives the "globe" a firm pull down. The
base should have some retention tabs that hold the globe in place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 10:16:25 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I'm not sure how to add images to these posts, so I uploaded a couple he

http://imgur.com/syUPGdb
http://imgur.com/4xTYWZ3

Does a neighbor have the same style light? Might asked them.

I'm only guessing here, but it may be spring loaded. Can you pull
down on the side opposite of the dimple?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:28:25 AM UTC-8, Steve F. wrote:

Usually those require that one gives the "globe" a firm pull down. The

base should have some retention tabs that hold the globe in place.

When I pull down, the whole thing (including the base) starts to pull away from the ceiling. It feels like I'm about to rip the whole thing out of the dry wall...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:30:32 AM UTC-8, Oren wrote:

I'm only guessing here, but it may be spring loaded. Can you pull

down on the side opposite of the dimple?

Actually, I feel that there's another dimple directly opposite the one in the picture. The clearance from the ceiling is so short and the glass is so tight against the base that it's hard to really get any leverage to pull the glass away from the base...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2014 12:35 PM, Ghazgkull wrote:
On Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:28:25 AM UTC-8, Steve F. wrote:

Usually those require that one gives the "globe" a firm pull down. The

base should have some retention tabs that hold the globe in place.

When I pull down, the whole thing (including the base) starts to pull away from the ceiling. It feels like I'm about to rip the whole thing out of the dry wall...

It could be that it is one piece. I have not messed around with that
particular model. You stated that the base rotated. Can you see the
lamp holder rotate with the base?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ghazgkull wrote:
On Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:30:32 AM UTC-8, Oren wrote:

I'm only guessing here, but it may be spring loaded. Can you pull

down on the side opposite of the dimple?

Actually, I feel that there's another dimple directly opposite the
one in the picture. The clearance from the ceiling is so short and
the glass is so tight against the base that it's hard to really get
any leverage to pull the glass away from the base...

Those dimples may engage slots in the glass cover mounting system . See if
you can rotate the glass without rotating the base of the fixture .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 13:09:44 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Ghazgkull wrote:
On Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:30:32 AM UTC-8, Oren wrote:

I'm only guessing here, but it may be spring loaded. Can you pull

down on the side opposite of the dimple?

Actually, I feel that there's another dimple directly opposite the
one in the picture. The clearance from the ceiling is so short and
the glass is so tight against the base that it's hard to really get
any leverage to pull the glass away from the base...

Those dimples may engage slots in the glass cover mounting system . See if
you can rotate the glass without rotating the base of the fixture .

I was thinking along the same line as there are two dimples. The
slots may look like an upside down "L". A little turn and it pulls
down?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:14:51 AM UTC-8, Oren wrote:

I was thinking along the same line as there are two dimples. The

slots may look like an upside down "L". A little turn and it pulls

down?

I also feel like it should rotate on the base and just open, but the clearance is so small there's no way to grab the base. Do any of these things require a tool to open? Am I supposed to poke something onto the dimple to give enough leverage to twist off the glass? Hmm...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2014 11:09 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Ghazgkull wrote:
On Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:30:32 AM UTC-8, Oren wrote:

I'm only guessing here, but it may be spring loaded. Can you pull

down on the side opposite of the dimple?

Actually, I feel that there's another dimple directly opposite the
one in the picture. The clearance from the ceiling is so short and
the glass is so tight against the base that it's hard to really get
any leverage to pull the glass away from the base...

Those dimples may engage slots in the glass cover mounting system . See if
you can rotate the glass without rotating the base of the fixture .

I concur with the rotation of the glass.
Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ghazgkull" wrote in message

On Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:28:25 AM UTC-8, Steve F. wrote:

Usually those require that one gives the "globe" a firm pull down. The

base should have some retention tabs that hold the globe in place.

When I pull down, the whole thing (including the base) starts to pull away
from the ceiling. It feels like I'm about to rip the whole thing out of
the dry wall...

Your photo looks like the lamp in our kitchen, except that ours has
no flat disk between the fixture and the curved light diffuser. Our
diffuser removes by rotating, i.e. locks to the fixture by lugs
like those that hold together the two halves of a smoke detector.
When we installed it both my wife and I practised removing the
diffuser, so either can replace bulbs when we need to.

If your fixture moves when you try to turn the diffuser, the fixture
was probably improperly fastened to the cieling. It may be
safer to pay for an electrician's house call.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm not sure how to add images to these posts, so I uploaded a couple he

http://imgur.com/syUPGdb
http://imgur.com/4xTYWZ3

Since this is not a binaries group you provided the images in the
perfect way.

Now, as far as the disassembly of the fixture is concerned, if
rotating the glass portion appears to rotate the complete fixture, the
only logical solution seems to pull straight down harder than you
already have. If the electrician installed everything correctly I
would doubt you would pull the box through the drywall. But that
could be a big "if."

Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 12:59:02 -0600, "Steve F." wrote:

On 1/30/2014 12:35 PM, Ghazgkull wrote:
On Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:28:25 AM UTC-8, Steve F. wrote:

Usually those require that one gives the "globe" a firm pull down. The

base should have some retention tabs that hold the globe in place.

When I pull down, the whole thing (including the base) starts to pull away from the ceiling. It feels like I'm about to rip the whole thing out of the dry wall...

It could be that it is one piece. I have not messed around with that
particular model. You stated that the base rotated. Can you see the
lamp holder rotate with the base?

All the old "pan" fixtures in my daughter's townhouse required a
counterclockwize turn of several degrees, followed by a pull down.
Some were nastier than others (and all were full of dead flies when
she bought the house)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm not sure how to add images to these posts, so I uploaded a couple he

http://imgur.com/syUPGdb
http://imgur.com/4xTYWZ3

Since this is not a binaries group you provided the images in the
perfect way.

Now, as far as the disassembly of the fixture is concerned, if
rotating the glass portion appears to rotate the complete fixture, the
only logical solution seems to pull straight down harder than you
already have. If the electrician installed everything correctly I
would doubt you would pull the box through the drywall. But that
could be a big "if."

Good luck.

+1 It is a can light, pull straight down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I have a light fixture in my bedroom that I have no idea how to open. It is basically a flattened disk, almost like a translucent glass pasta bowl, with no visible removable parts. The disk is mounted in a cylinder that's maybe an inch tall which also has no visible removable parts.

Everything fits together smoothly. The only even slightly noticable feature is a dimple on the mounting piece, but I don't see any use for this.

I've tried twisting the two parts of the glass bowl to no effect. I've also tried twisting the glass off the mounting piece, but the clearance is so short that this is almost impossible. I've also tried twisting the whole light, but that seems to be moving the wires in the ceiling which I don't want to torque. Similarly, I've tried gently pulling and that didn't work.

Has anyone seen a fixture like this? Any idea how to open it?

Read through all the posts. I agree the dimples are crucial. Try pushing UP on the glass while
rotating ccw. After all is tried you might just have to pull the fixture out of there! Destructive
disassembly may be needed. Sorry. Maybe ping John Grabowski whom is the resident electrician here and
see if he knows or has seen those fixtures. You will get straight dope from a good guy. Any chance
of taking your pix to a local lighting (#1) or big box (god luck) store to see if the can identify
manufacturer?

You posted your pictures properly.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Thursday, January 30, 2014 11:14:51 AM UTC-8, Oren wrote:

I was thinking along the same line as there are two dimples. The

slots may look like an upside down "L". A little turn and it pulls

down?

I also feel like it should rotate on the base and just open, but the
clearance is so small there's no way to grab the base. Do any of these
things require a tool to open? Am I supposed to poke something onto the
dimple to give enough leverage to twist off the glass? Hmm...

I have fixtures where the frosting on the glass and years of non-movement
makes rotating the globe to free it from the dimple very difficult,
especially if there is nothing to grab onto.

You might want to try a pair of rubber gloves or a piece of the rubber pad
that goes under rugs to help you grip the glass.

This stuff is great for getting a grip on things or preventing many things
from sliding. I have multiple pieces of it my shop, garage and van.

http://www.amazon.com/Amos-Purpose-R.../dp/B00EHG07P6
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:55:10 PM UTC-8, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I have fixtures where the frosting on the glass and years of non-movement

makes rotating the globe to free it from the dimple very difficult,

especially if there is nothing to grab onto.

You might want to try a pair of rubber gloves or a piece of the rubber pad

that goes under rugs to help you grip the glass.

This stuff is great for getting a grip on things or preventing many things

from sliding. I have multiple pieces of it my shop, garage and van.

http://www.amazon.com/Amos-Purpose-R.../dp/B00EHG07P6

In case anyone has a similar problem in the future, I figured it out thanks to everyone's help here.

The glass plate was in fact held in place by the little dimples on the base and it required twisting in order to open it.

I finally managed to open it by using a couple of those rubberized grippers like you use for opening bottles. I slid one between the base and the ceiling, grabbed the glass plate with the other, and then pressed the plate up (to create friction) while twisting. Whew!

Thanks, all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:02:43 -0800 (PST), Ghazgkull
wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Amos-Purpose-R.../dp/B00EHG07P6

In case anyone has a similar problem in the future, I figured it out thanks to everyone's help here.

The glass plate was in fact held in place by the little dimples on the base and it required twisting in order to open it.

I finally managed to open it by using a couple of those rubberized grippers like you use for opening bottles. I slid one between the base and the ceiling, grabbed the glass plate with the other, and then pressed the plate up (to create friction) while twisting. Whew!

Thanks, all.

Good for you. It's a good idea to check the screws at the mounting
box; making sure the top piece is secure to the ceiling box. Just
sayin'.