Posted to alt.home.repair
Ghazgkull Ghazgkull is offline

Default How to open this semi flush glass disk light fixture?

On Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:55:10 PM UTC-8, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I have fixtures where the frosting on the glass and years of non-movement

makes rotating the globe to free it from the dimple very difficult,

especially if there is nothing to grab onto.

You might want to try a pair of rubber gloves or a piece of the rubber pad

that goes under rugs to help you grip the glass.

This stuff is great for getting a grip on things or preventing many things

from sliding. I have multiple pieces of it my shop, garage and van.

http://www.amazon.com/Amos-Purpose-R.../dp/B00EHG07P6

In case anyone has a similar problem in the future, I figured it out thanks to everyone's help here.

The glass plate was in fact held in place by the little dimples on the base and it required twisting in order to open it.

I finally managed to open it by using a couple of those rubberized grippers like you use for opening bottles. I slid one between the base and the ceiling, grabbed the glass plate with the other, and then pressed the plate up (to create friction) while twisting. Whew!

Thanks, all.