Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson[_3_] Don Phillipson[_3_] is offline

Default How to open this semi flush glass disk light fixture?

"Ghazgkull" wrote in message

On Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:28:25 AM UTC-8, Steve F. wrote:

Usually those require that one gives the "globe" a firm pull down. The

base should have some retention tabs that hold the globe in place.

When I pull down, the whole thing (including the base) starts to pull away
from the ceiling. It feels like I'm about to rip the whole thing out of
the dry wall...

Your photo looks like the lamp in our kitchen, except that ours has
no flat disk between the fixture and the curved light diffuser. Our
diffuser removes by rotating, i.e. locks to the fixture by lugs
like those that hold together the two halves of a smoke detector.
When we installed it both my wife and I practised removing the
diffuser, so either can replace bulbs when we need to.

If your fixture moves when you try to turn the diffuser, the fixture
was probably improperly fastened to the cieling. It may be
safer to pay for an electrician's house call.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs