Posted to alt.home.repair

Default read the comments for this big TV

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMEN95U/...tag=nerdgsm-20
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2014 9:12 PM, philo wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMEN95U/...tag=nerdgsm-20

It comes with free batteries for the remote! I'm getting a dozen!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/27/2014 09:19 PM, gonjah wrote:
On 1/27/2014 9:12 PM, philo wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMEN95U/...tag=nerdgsm-20

It comes with free batteries for the remote! I'm getting a dozen!

That's a big selling point.

I grew up in the age of "batteries not included".
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
On 01/27/2014 09:19 PM, gonjah wrote:
On 1/27/2014 9:12 PM, philo wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMEN95U/...tag=nerdgsm-20

It comes with free batteries for the remote! I'm getting a dozen!

That's a big selling point.

I grew up in the age of "batteries not included".

Hi,
Even tho I am all ready for UHD TV set for my HT 7.1 system. I'll wait
quite a while. Not many source material done in UHD. Price will drop way
down in 2 years time. Also Organic LED is coming as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/27/2014 11:14 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
philo wrote:
On 01/27/2014 09:19 PM, gonjah wrote:
On 1/27/2014 9:12 PM, philo wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMEN95U/...tag=nerdgsm-20

It comes with free batteries for the remote! I'm getting a dozen!

That's a big selling point.

I grew up in the age of "batteries not included".

Hi,
Even tho I am all ready for UHD TV set for my HT 7.1 system. I'll wait
quite a while. Not many source material done in UHD. Price will drop way
down in 2 years time. Also Organic LED is coming as well.

I don't even have a TV
but I thought the comments were hilarious.

I looked around on Amazon and found another TV of the same size and with
twice the resolution for only about $12,000.

To put things in perspective my house cost me $30k

(Yes that was a long time ago)

Philo's rule of thumb:

Don't buy a TV that costs more than your house!

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
On 01/27/2014 09:19 PM, gonjah wrote:
On 1/27/2014 9:12 PM, philo wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMEN95U/...tag=nerdgsm-20

It comes with free batteries for the remote! I'm getting a dozen!

That's a big selling point.

I grew up in the age of "batteries not included".

Hi,
Even tho I am all ready for UHD TV set for my HT 7.1 system. I'll wait
quite a while. Not many source material done in UHD. Price will drop way
down in 2 years time. Also Organic LED is coming as well.

I don't even have a TV

I'm always amazed to hear about people with *no* TV. WTS: I sort of miss
those days. I just "cut my cable" service this week but I still have
antenna and Netflix. (and Amazon prime)

but I thought the comments were hilarious.

I looked around on Amazon and found another TV of the same size and with
twice the resolution for only about $12,000.

To put things in perspective my house cost me $30k

My wife's car cost more.

(Yes that was a long time ago)

Philo's rule of thumb:

Don't buy a TV that costs more than your house!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per philo*:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMEN95U/...tag=nerdgsm-20

I had seen it quite some time ago - but that was before James O expanded
his review.

The guy is truly talented!

Priceless, even.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per gonjah:
I'm always amazed to hear about people with *no* TV. WTS: I sort of miss
those days. I just "cut my cable" service this week but I still have
antenna and Netflix. (and Amazon prime)

I spent nine years in Hawaii - the first 8 of which were without
television.

In year nine, I wandered into the new Lum's bar/deli on the University
of Hawaii campus and they had a TV above the bar.

I was transfixed. Most people don't realize it, but TV is highly
stylized - almost like kabuki theater. I don't see it now, but then it
was really obvious - and bizarre.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo " wrote in message ...

On 01/27/2014 09:19 PM, gonjah wrote:
On 1/27/2014 9:12 PM, philo wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMEN95U/...tag=nerdgsm-20

It comes with free batteries for the remote! I'm getting a dozen!

That's a big selling point.

I grew up in the age of "batteries not included"

phiol The comments were hilarious WW
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

Wasn't there a saying, "at the end who has most toys win"
Our first house built to our spec. cost 23K. That was long
time ago too. Funny thing is nowadays with the economic
condition the way it is high end multi-million dollar homes are selling
like hot cake. You figure that out. TV is for watching some good
movies, not much else. Can't miss super bowl game either on
60" panel. Can't have bigger, house is too small, LOL.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/28/2014 06:09 AM, gonjah wrote:

I don't even have a TV

I'm always amazed to hear about people with *no* TV. WTS: I sort of miss
those days. I just "cut my cable" service this week but I still have
antenna and Netflix. (and Amazon prime)

Years ago, as soon as cable TV became available I signed up at once.
Even though it's true that most of the stuff on TV is pure junk...
there was still plenty of stuff that I got addicted to...such as the
History Channel.

Then, little by little the price of cable started going up and I knew
there would be no stopping...so I canceled cable and honestly threw my
TV away.

Of course, if there is really something I want to watch I can find it
somewhere on-line. I am use my computer a lot...but I can watch what I
want, when I want and without all the commercials.
For the most part however, Usenet has simply taken the place of my old
"Ham Radio"...and a chance to talk to people.

Also, when I am out of the house I do not have a cell phone or do I
bring my laptop with me. I prefer to react with real people.

but I thought the comments were hilarious.

I looked around on Amazon and found another TV of the same size and with
twice the resolution for only about $12,000.

To put things in perspective my house cost me $30k

My wife's car cost more.

(Yes that was a long time ago)

Philo's rule of thumb:

Don't buy a TV that costs more than your house!

Posted to alt.home.repair

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per gonjah:
I'm always amazed to hear about people with *no* TV. WTS: I sort of miss
those days. I just "cut my cable" service this week but I still have
antenna and Netflix. (and Amazon prime)

I spent nine years in Hawaii - the first 8 of which were without
television.

In year nine, I wandered into the new Lum's bar/deli on the University
of Hawaii campus and they had a TV above the bar.

I was transfixed. Most people don't realize it, but TV is highly
stylized - almost like kabuki theater. I don't see it now, but then it
was really obvious - and bizarre.

Hi,
In 1970, I won an Emerson 19" color set free at a local store sales
promo. First color set in my block. Neighbor's kids swarmed our
house to see that color set. Then when we moved, bought 26" Zenith
console. This thing lasted and lasted won't even give little bit of
trouble. Then 42" Plasma set. Now Another Plasma set 60" biggest
I can install in the house. This may be my last one B4 I go. I am
training wife how to use all the gadgets in the house. Looks like
old DW in the kitchen is ready to retire, soon I have to replace that.
Any day is my day so all has to be in order, LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 21:12:49 -0600, philo* wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMEN95U/...tag=nerdgsm-20

Nice.

I was looking for a cable crimper a couple of days ago and found this
one. No reviews on it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Compression-Tool-14-4V-Ion-750/dp/B007PB60C4/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1390932025&sr=8-39&keywords=cable+crimpers

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/28/2014 11:45 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

To put things in perspective my house cost me $30k

(Yes that was a long time ago)

Philo's rule of thumb:

Don't buy a TV that costs more than your house!

Hi,
Wasn't there a saying, "at the end who has most toys win"
Our first house built to our spec. cost 23K. That was long
time ago too. Funny thing is nowadays with the economic
condition the way it is high end multi-million dollar homes are selling
like hot cake. You figure that out. TV is for watching some good
movies, not much else. Can't miss super bowl game either on
60" panel. Can't have bigger, house is too small, LOL.

I struggled and went broke trying to pay for my $30k house.

It needed so much work that now 33 years later it still is not done
or will it ever be.

OTOH: My daughter and son-in-law recently bought a new house
and I asked her about their old one and she just shrugged and said that
they should probably sell it one of these days. It's just been sitting
there empty.

Maybe if I told her she could sell it and use the money to put a $40k tv
in every room she'd get around to getting rid of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/28/2014 12:03 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 21:12:49 -0600, philo wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMEN95U/...tag=nerdgsm-20

Nice.

I was looking for a cable crimper a couple of days ago and found this
one. No reviews on it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Compression-Tool-14-4V-Ion-750/dp/B007PB60C4/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1390932025&sr=8-39&keywords=cable+crimpers

Nice.

Where I worked we had a nice hydraulic crimper that was hand operated
and cost about $1k

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 12:53:13 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 01/28/2014 12:03 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 21:12:49 -0600, philo wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMEN95U/...tag=nerdgsm-20

Nice.

I was looking for a cable crimper a couple of days ago and found this
one. No reviews on it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Compression-Tool-14-4V-Ion-750/dp/B007PB60C4/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1390932025&sr=8-39&keywords=cable+crimpers

Nice.

Where I worked we had a nice hydraulic crimper that was hand operated
and cost about $1k

I had considered making my own battery cable but have found the one I
need. This is a manual type - made in the USA - $16.97 - free
shipping.

http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/products/Crimpers/TH0007.html#

I've seen a few items on Amazon. Obviously priced incorrectly, I
think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 27, 2014 9:12:49 PM UTC-6, philo* wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMEN95U/...tag=nerdgsm-20

I can't afford a $42,000 TV. I'll wait until it drops to $32k .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2014 11:47 AM, philo wrote:
On 01/28/2014 06:09 AM, gonjah wrote:

I don't even have a TV

I'm always amazed to hear about people with *no* TV. WTS: I sort of miss
those days. I just "cut my cable" service this week but I still have
antenna and Netflix. (and Amazon prime)

Years ago, as soon as cable TV became available I signed up at once.
Even though it's true that most of the stuff on TV is pure junk...
there was still plenty of stuff that I got addicted to...such as the
History Channel.

I liked the HC too.

FWIW: I just hooked up my HD antenna for the first time today and the
picture is better than the cable for the local stations. But, of course,
I wasn't paying extra for HD cable.

I just need to work out the DVR situation.

TIVO requires a $20/mth subscription and I don't know if "Simple TV" has
worked the bugs out yet. Last I checked, Simple TV was getting horrible
reviews for "simple" over the air recordings w/o a subscription.

https://www.simple.tv/#overview

Seems to me someone should make a decent over the air DVR. I mean, we
did put a man on the moon! (or did we?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/28/2014 07:38 PM, gonjah wrote:

TIVO requires a $20/mth subscription and I don't know if "Simple TV" has
worked the bugs out yet. Last I checked, Simple TV was getting horrible
reviews for "simple" over the air recordings w/o a subscription.

https://www.simple.tv/#overview

Seems to me someone should make a decent over the air DVR. I mean, we
did put a man on the moon! (or did we?)

I'm fine with just searching Youtube

here is one one of my finds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9P2V0_p6vE
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/28/2014 01:11 PM, Oren wrote:

Where I worked we had a nice hydraulic crimper that was hand operated
and cost about $1k

I had considered making my own battery cable but have found the one I
need. This is a manual type - made in the USA - $16.97 - free
shipping.

http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/products/Crimpers/TH0007.html#

I've seen a few items on Amazon. Obviously priced incorrectly, I
think.

We used large, hand operated crimpers.

I have used the type your link shows and the crimp is not as nice...but
what the heck, it works. Much better than just smashing it down with a
hammer!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 19:38:08 -0600, gonjah wrote:

On 1/28/2014 11:47 AM, philo wrote:
On 01/28/2014 06:09 AM, gonjah wrote:

FWIW: I just hooked up my HD antenna for the first time today and the
picture is better than the cable for the local stations. But, of course,
I wasn't paying extra for HD cable.

As far as I can tell an antenna cannot distinguish if the OTA signal
is analog, digital, or HD.

Ever see the ads for HD sunglasses? Can't imagine how that works
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Check out www.solidsignal.com They don't have many and you have to
read carefully, to make sure it's what you want. I think there is one
for 350 I would like to have, and that's all. But if there is cheaper,
send me the url and I'll tell you what I learned aobut it.

One time payment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:12:44 -0700, "WW" wrote:

"philo " wrote in message ...

On 01/27/2014 09:19 PM, gonjah wrote:
On 1/27/2014 9:12 PM, philo wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMEN95U/...tag=nerdgsm-20

It comes with free batteries for the remote! I'm getting a dozen!

That's a big selling point.

I grew up in the age of "batteries not included"

phiol The comments were hilarious WW

Except they will be cheap batteries that will leak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2014 8:06 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

I didn't see the HD-DVR for $350 and I think Tivo requires a subscription.

Channel Master might be the way to go. Looks like they came out with a
new model that is currently in back order. Comes with small HD and
doesn't require a subscription. I'll have to keep checking on it to see
the reviews on the new model. Looks like Channel Master discontinued
their older model. Probably due to "locking up" issues. It seems people
liked it otherwise.

Don't hold me to any of this info. I'm new to this concept.

FWIW: I got the Flatwave HDTV antenna and it works fantastic in the
North Austin TX area. Hooks to the TV with coax cable. I just taped it
to the inside of a window with blue tape so I can move it if necessary.

http://tinyurl.com/mnpvyoe

Somehow I got mine for $36 bucks. I should have done this years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:38:08 PM UTC-5, gonjah wrote:
On 1/28/2014 11:47 AM, philo wrote:

On 01/28/2014 06:09 AM, gonjah wrote:

I don't even have a TV

I'm always amazed to hear about people with *no* TV. WTS: I sort of miss

those days. I just "cut my cable" service this week but I still have

antenna and Netflix. (and Amazon prime)

Years ago, as soon as cable TV became available I signed up at once.

Even though it's true that most of the stuff on TV is pure junk...

there was still plenty of stuff that I got addicted to...such as the

History Channel.

I liked the HC too.

FWIW: I just hooked up my HD antenna for the first time today and the

picture is better than the cable for the local stations. But, of course,

I wasn't paying extra for HD cable.

I just need to work out the DVR situation.

TIVO requires a $20/mth subscription

Tivo has a lifetime subscription for $400, that's
what most people get. The prices have varied over
time. I got my XL for about $550, hardware plus lifetime
subscription. If I had my cable company DVR, I'd be
paying $10 a month for that. And Tivo uses a cablecard,
so by using that and not having a cable box at all, I
save another $3 a month. So, in less than 4 years I'm
at break even and ahead after that. The lifetime
subscription is for the life of the unit. If the unit
blows up, IDK what their current policy is, but 10 years
ago when mine had a problem, they had a $100 swap out
service deal.

Tivo is way better than the Cablevision DVR. Tivo is
now working with some of the cable companies who are
using their software/product, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Feb 2014 07:28:50 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

Does Tivo record five or six programs simultaneously?