Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Indoor antenna WHFand UHF ?

Got rid of cable and looking for INDOOR antenna. Neighbor got one from Best Buy, about $50, looks like fishbones? gets great reception in her window.

I went on-line & quickly overwhelmed by choices & not knowing what's important,

Desirable: ?

Multi-directional. Important in flat area with good reception?

VHF +and+ UHF. ? Some stations still broadcast VHF ?

Price: Varies widely. Don't want to penny-pinch but also not be sucker for fancy equipt for gaming, etc.

Digital: Only way to go?

Your recommendations welcome, keeping in mind this is flat area, So Calif coastal

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
Got rid of cable and looking for INDOOR antenna. Neighbor got one from Best Buy, about $50, looks like fishbones? gets great reception in her window.

I went on-line & quickly overwhelmed by choices & not knowing what's important,

Desirable: ?

Multi-directional. Important in flat area with good reception?

VHF +and+ UHF. ? Some stations still broadcast VHF ?

Price: Varies widely. Don't want to penny-pinch but also not be sucker for fancy equipt for gaming, etc.

Digital: Only way to go?

Your recommendations welcome, keeping in mind this is flat area, So Calif coastal

HB

Hi,
WHF? You mean VHF, right? There are many you tube how to's home brewing
antenna. It all depends what channels you watch and distance to the
TV station tower. Those indoor ones contain broad band low noise
amplifier if it is plug in variety. I assembled a small Log periodic
antenna using 1x2 wood piece and handful of Al rods used for
welding. Designed to receive high VHF band signal from about 100 miles
away. This antenna is hung on the rafter in the attic upstairs. Works
just fine. Digital antenna is marketing ploy. Antenna does not know it
is receiving digital or analog TV signal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony said it perfectly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
Got rid of cable and looking for INDOOR antenna. Neighbor got one from
Best Buy, about $50, looks like fishbones? gets great reception in her window.

I went on-line & quickly overwhelmed by choices & not knowing what's important,

Desirable: ?

Multi-directional. Important in flat area with good reception?

Maybe

VHF +and+ UHF. ? Some stations still broadcast VHF ?

Some do, but on upper VHF.

Price: Varies widely. Don't want to penny-pinch but also not be sucker
for fancy equipt for gaming, etc.

Digital: Only way to go?

No difference.

Your recommendations welcome, keeping in mind this is flat area, So Calif coastal

HB

Ask neighbor.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 20:53:56 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
WHF? You mean VHF, right? There are many you tube how to's home brewing
antenna. It all depends what channels you watch and distance to the
TV station tower. Those indoor ones contain broad band low noise
amplifier if it is plug in variety. I assembled a small Log periodic
antenna using 1x2 wood piece and handful of Al rods used for
welding. Designed to receive high VHF band signal from about 100 miles
away. This antenna is hung on the rafter in the attic upstairs. Works
just fine. Digital antenna is marketing ploy. Antenna does not know it
is receiving digital or analog TV signal.

You covered this well. The WHF puzzled me to, but probably a typo. But
for the OP, it's VHF.

I will add this, most of the digital channels use UHF now, but the upper
VHF channels 7 - 13 are still used, but not 6 and below.

To find out what channels you have in your area, go to this website.
http://www.tvfool.com/
There, you can type in your zipcode or address, and it will tell you the
channels in your region. I should note, that the number a channel uses
is not always the channel they transmit on. They just use their old
(analog) number for convenience. For example, you may have a channel
10, but it's actually transmitted on channel 45 (uhf). In this example,
45 is the ACTUAL channel frequency being used.

The website above will tell you the ACTUAL channels you have, and which
will come in good, and which are weak. It's a great site.

----

BTW Tony, Are the plans for your small Log periodic antenna online? I
made a bow tie ant. but I'm looking to make something to bring in some
of the local VHF stations which are 50 to 90 miles away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 18:55:10 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Got rid of cable and looking for INDOOR antenna. Neighbor got one from Best Buy, about $50, looks like fishbones? gets great reception in her window.

I went on-line & quickly overwhelmed by choices & not knowing what's important,

Desirable: ?

Multi-directional. Important in flat area with good reception?

It depends in which direction or directions the stations you could
receive are located. If all in the same direction, get uni-directonal,
although I'm pretty sure if there's a strong signal from a station not
in that direction, the uni- will still pick it up. . If not, you can
add a piece of wire or another antenna through an antenna splitter, and
use both at the same time.

If various directions, get omni-directional.

Look at antennaweb.org and tvfool.com.

VHF +and+ UHF. ? Some stations still broadcast VHF ?
Price: Varies widely. Don't want to penny-pinch but also not be sucker for fancy equipt for gaming, etc.

Are you watching tv now without cable? What are you using? I live 10
miles from Television Hill in Baltimore and with a VCR and quality
digital converter box, I get all the Baltimore stations with just an 8
foot or so piece of stranded wire, no shielding of course, lying on the
floor of my second floor bedroom. I even get one DC station, 35 or 45
miles away. And I live in a valley. It's a valley only 20 or 30 feet
deep, but still. :-)

It has a lot to do with the tuner in the tv

Digital: Only way to go?

Means nothing.

Your recommendations welcome, keeping in mind this is flat area, So Calif coastal

I would check out solidsignal.com .

For one thing, they are the only place I've noticed--------------------
that sells Over the air recorders for digital signals. That is, those
that aren't designed for cable and satellite.

http://www.solidsignal.com/p/ota.asp...d=antenna-help

By zip code seems to need a lot more data, at least around me, but the
rest of the page is good.

http://www.solidsignal.com/c/product...ennas-supplies

Also, for some reason, I think their phone reps know what they are
talking about, although maybe now they're pushing email, above, instead
of talking on the phone. Or maybe they're pushing both.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Got rid of cable and looking for INDOOR antenna. Neighbor got one from Best Buy, about $50, looks like fishbones? gets great reception in her window.

Don't your friends at the CERN collider know more about all this than we
do?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Sorry I just designed it myself. LP antenna is pretty high gain,
directional and broad band. If you stack bow tie ones it will
increase gain as well. I just referred to ARRL hand book and my
old text books.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Your recommendations welcome, keeping in mind this is flat area, So Calif coastal

Check http://www.antennaweb.org/

Put in your zip code. It will show stations for you area and give
distances, etc.

It will help narrow things done a bit, suggest an antenna by color
codes shown on the box when purchased - depending on you needs.

My area shows:

"Up to 49 channels from 27 over-the-air stations may be received at
this location."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Got rid of cable and looking for INDOOR antenna. Neighbor got one from
Best Buy, about $50, looks like fishbones? gets great reception in her
window.

I went on-line & quickly overwhelmed by choices & not knowing what's
important,

Desirable: ?

Multi-directional. Important in flat area with good reception?

VHF +and+ UHF. ? Some stations still broadcast VHF ?

Price: Varies widely. Don't want to penny-pinch but also not be sucker
for fancy equipt for gaming, etc.

Digital: Only way to go?

Your recommendations welcome, keeping in mind this is flat area, So Calif
coastal

Be aware that some homes (typically built in the past 10 years or so) may
have foil backed insulation/sheetrock in the walls that can play hell with
reception even in strong signal areas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 12:01:18 -0600, "NotMe" wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

Your recommendations welcome, keeping in mind this is flat area, So Calif
coastal

Be aware that some homes (typically built in the past 10 years or so) may
have foil backed insulation/sheetrock in the walls that can play hell with
reception even in strong signal areas.

I had never even thought about that. Thanks for mentioning it. So
if the house is 35 years old, not much chance of foil????

Years ago. I called up one of the antenna companies (the one that makes
small, external radio antennas) and asked about aluminum siding. Bad,
he told me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 15:20:23 -0500, micky
wrote:

Be aware that some homes (typically built in the past 10 years or so) may
have foil backed insulation/sheetrock in the walls that can play hell with
reception even in strong signal areas.

I had never even thought about that. Thanks for mentioning it. So
if the house is 35 years old, not much chance of foil????

Years ago. I called up one of the antenna companies (the one that makes
small, external radio antennas) and asked about aluminum siding. Bad,
he told me.

Same for a metal sided pole barn. My AM-FM barn radio would not work
inside the metal barn. I finally wrapped some wire around the
telescoping antenna, and ran it outside to a post. Now it works great.

This only makes sense, a metla building is a shield. Same as putting a
radio in a metal garbage can or other metal container.

Tv is no different, nor is any other device that relys on reception of
radio waves. CB, Shortwave, police radio, etc....
Posted to alt.home.repair

During hurricane sandy and 2 weeks with out electric I tried the over the counter antennas

(Inverters and generators kept house alive)

They were 'ok' to get a few stations which was good enough for that time. But not long term.

After I did some research I found I needed a higher antenna. (Trees) and miles away from station made it clear that the store bought table top type antennas would not make it for me

Thx

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What amazed me is that potential customers never raised it as an issue.
Antenna companies never brought it up unless one asked.

The degree of rf isolation depends on frequency of operation, and the
continuity of metal around the edges, gaps, etc. One thing for sure,
operation inside a metal house, will get all kinds of reflections inside,
from whatever sneaks in. I have no trouble using cell phone inside aluminum
sided house. The roof is usually open to receive signals.

Wifi signals are attenuated trying to get through windows with vapor
metalized coating on energy efficient windows.

I helped get a large medical research building designed with aluminum
backed drywall for interference from a tv tower. Others in the same area
also used it. It does not eliminate interference, just cuts it down. It
gets in through windows, doors, and wiring. There were many signals coming
off the tower plus the tv on two bands. The main problem was the analog tv
signal. This is now digital which is a lot less bothersome to any low
frequency detection. The video buzz is gone.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

For am radio, large steel beams, and reinforced concrete, will block
reception.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"NotMe" wrote:
[...]

That stuff I've seen but not in building supplies around here. Pretty good
vapor barrier.

Isn't stucco made with a metal sheath.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 06:58:03 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

Be aware that some homes (typically built in the past 10 years or so) may
have foil backed insulation/sheetrock in the walls that can play hell with
reception even in strong signal areas.

That stuff I've seen but not in building supplies around here. Pretty good
vapor barrier.

Isn't stucco made with a metal sheath.

Greg

Not in the Desert Southwest. Homes to have a "chicken wire" wrapping.

felt paper rigid foam chicken wire three coats stucco
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Be aware that some homes (typically built in the past 10 years or so) may
have foil backed insulation/sheetrock in the walls that can play hell with
reception even in strong signal areas.

That stuff I've seen but not in building supplies around here. Pretty good
vapor barrier.

Isn't stucco made with a metal sheath.

Greg

Not in the Desert Southwest. Homes to have a "chicken wire" wrapping.

felt paper rigid foam chicken wire three coats stucco

Shut up and enjoy your weather. We have an excuse to be bundled up,
inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Be aware that some homes (typically built in the past 10 years or so) may
have foil backed insulation/sheetrock in the walls that can play hell with
reception even in strong signal areas.

That stuff I've seen but not in building supplies around here. Pretty good
vapor barrier.

Isn't stucco made with a metal sheath.

Greg

Not in the Desert Southwest. Homes to have a "chicken wire" wrapping.

felt paper rigid foam chicken wire three coats stucco

Shut up and enjoy your weather. We have an excuse to be bundled up,
inside.

To bad you guys have to suffer. 71°F forecast for tomorrow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Be aware that some homes (typically built in the past 10 years or so) may
have foil backed insulation/sheetrock in the walls that can play hell with
reception even in strong signal areas.

That stuff I've seen but not in building supplies around here. Pretty good
vapor barrier.

Isn't stucco made with a metal sheath.

Greg

Not in the Desert Southwest. Homes to have a "chicken wire" wrapping.

felt paper rigid foam chicken wire three coats stucco

Shut up and enjoy your weather. We have an excuse to be bundled up,
inside.

To bad you guys have to suffer. 71°F forecast for tomorrow.

Suffer? It's a bit chilly today (high 32F) but it'll warm up for the
weekend (65F, give or take). Meanwhile, they've canceled work today
and probably tomorrow (state of emergency for the entire state until
noon tomorrow), so it's a mid-week weekend. What's not to like? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not to like?!

Yankees headed south bound on I-75 in Atlanta, that's what

None of them for a couple of days, and you're bitchin'. ;-)

Was supposed to be at work at 10:00 this morning. I may make it in
sometime. We're still under a state of emergency until noon, so I
have an excuse. ;-) It was 2F this morning, and won't hit freezing
until sometime this afternoon, now. The roads around my house are
still a mess and there are a few big hills (with no shoulders and 20'
drop offs) between here and there. I'll wait.