Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Indoor antenna WHFand UHF ?

wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 20:53:56 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
WHF? You mean VHF, right? There are many you tube how to's home brewing
antenna. It all depends what channels you watch and distance to the
TV station tower. Those indoor ones contain broad band low noise
amplifier if it is plug in variety. I assembled a small Log periodic
antenna using 1x2 wood piece and handful of Al rods used for
welding. Designed to receive high VHF band signal from about 100 miles
away. This antenna is hung on the rafter in the attic upstairs. Works
just fine. Digital antenna is marketing ploy. Antenna does not know it
is receiving digital or analog TV signal.

You covered this well. The WHF puzzled me to, but probably a typo. But
for the OP, it's VHF.

I will add this, most of the digital channels use UHF now, but the upper
VHF channels 7 - 13 are still used, but not 6 and below.

To find out what channels you have in your area, go to this website.
http://www.tvfool.com/
There, you can type in your zipcode or address, and it will tell you the
channels in your region. I should note, that the number a channel uses
is not always the channel they transmit on. They just use their old
(analog) number for convenience. For example, you may have a channel
10, but it's actually transmitted on channel 45 (uhf). In this example,
45 is the ACTUAL channel frequency being used.

The website above will tell you the ACTUAL channels you have, and which
will come in good, and which are weak. It's a great site.

----

BTW Tony, Are the plans for your small Log periodic antenna online? I
made a bow tie ant. but I'm looking to make something to bring in some
of the local VHF stations which are 50 to 90 miles away.

Hi,
Sorry I just designed it myself. LP antenna is pretty high gain,
directional and broad band. If you stack bow tie ones it will
increase gain as well. I just referred to ARRL hand book and my
old text books.