Posted to alt.home.repair

Default German architect gets one-year sentence in death of L.A. firefighter

The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 1/3/2014 4:57 PM, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
A German architect accused of recklessly installing a fireplace in
his Hollywood Hills mansion, leading to a firefighters death in
February 2011, is expected to serve about six months in jail after
pleading no contest Friday to involuntary manslaughter. Gerhard
Becker, 49, was sentenced to one year in jail as a condition of his
probation, but will probably spend only about half of that behind
bars due to time already served and other factors. Prosecutors had
sought four years in jail.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...#ixzz2pNYvK5da

The prosecutors are making a big deal out of the guy's case by blaming
him for the death of a firefighter. When the guy gets out of prison, he
will be deported because of an expired visa. The prosecution of the
architect is meant to send a message to those who violate the law. Does
this mean that Mexican illegal immigrants will now be deported after a
prison stay to send a message that our laws should be respected? o_O

TDD

More on topic for a.h.r, it has been said here many times that insurance
companies would still pay for damages from a fire caused by DIY electrical
installation. Well, perhaps what been said (I don't recall exactly) was
that no has been able to cite a case where an insurance didn't pay because
of a DIY electrical installation.

So the question is, if a firefighter dies fighting a fire caused by a DIY
electrical installation, could the homeowner be jailed even as the
insurance company is paying to rebuild the house?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 24, 2014 11:51:00 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Potentially yes. Just ask OJ. The results of criminal cases
and civil can be different. However most insurance policies have
exclusions for criminal acts, eg if you're trying to run over your
wife with the car and drive it into the living room, paying for
that damage isn't covered. How exactly those clauses are worded,
interpreted, adjudicated, etc in the policy in question would determine
the outcome. It would be interesting to find out.

You also have to wonder how dumb the architect was to not
only not get permits, apparently go out of his way to hide
the fact that he was going to put the fireplace in, etc.,
but then to also get it installed in such a half-assed way that
it immediately caused a fire.
My first guess might be that since it's LA, the type of fireplace
he may have wanted was not allowed, eg woodburning perhaps?
So, he couldn't have gotten the permit. But you would think
an architect could still manage to have something put in
that would be safe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

More on topic for a.h.r, it has been said here many times that insurance
companies would still pay for damages from a fire caused by DIY electrical
installation. Well, perhaps what been said (I don't recall exactly) was
that no has been able to cite a case where an insurance didn't pay because
of a DIY electrical installation.

So the question is, if a firefighter dies fighting a fire caused by a DIY
electrical installation, could the homeowner be jailed even as the
insurance company is paying to rebuild the house?

My quick response is the since he "is" an
architect and probably licensed he is responsible
for a higher standard than a homeowner.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

More on topic for a.h.r, it has been said here many times that insurance
companies would still pay for damages from a fire caused by DIY electrical
installation. Well, perhaps what been said (I don't recall exactly) was
that no has been able to cite a case where an insurance didn't pay because
of a DIY electrical installation.

So the question is, if a firefighter dies fighting a fire caused by a DIY
electrical installation, could the homeowner be jailed even as the
insurance company is paying to rebuild the house?

My quick response is the since he "is" an
architect and probably licensed he is responsible
for a higher standard than a homeowner.

Does that hold true for all professions?

If I accidentally shoot my wife should I get a lighter sentence than a cop
that accidentally shoots his wife?

If I accidentally poison my neighbor should I get a lighter sentence than a
doctor that accidentally poisons his neighbor?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 17:05:01 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

More on topic for a.h.r, it has been said here many times that insurance
companies would still pay for damages from a fire caused by DIY electrical
installation. Well, perhaps what been said (I don't recall exactly) was
that no has been able to cite a case where an insurance didn't pay because
of a DIY electrical installation.

So the question is, if a firefighter dies fighting a fire caused by a DIY
electrical installation, could the homeowner be jailed even as the
insurance company is paying to rebuild the house?

My quick response is the since he "is" an
architect and probably licensed he is responsible
for a higher standard than a homeowner.

A quite valid point. His assumed knowledge could make the difference
between "accidental" and "depraved indifference".

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

More on topic for a.h.r, it has been said here many times that insurance
companies would still pay for damages from a fire caused by DIY electrical
installation. Well, perhaps what been said (I don't recall exactly) was
that no has been able to cite a case where an insurance didn't pay because
of a DIY electrical installation.

So the question is, if a firefighter dies fighting a fire caused by a DIY
electrical installation, could the homeowner be jailed even as the
insurance company is paying to rebuild the house?

My quick response is the since he "is" an
architect and probably licensed he is responsible
for a higher standard than a homeowner.

A quite valid point. His assumed knowledge could make the difference
between "accidental" and "depraved indifference".

Not sure why any electrical knowledge would be assumed or exist. One
thing I noticed about house plans is that there is no electrical stuff
on them. I asked why and was told the electrical contractor takes care
of it.

Knowledge of the code should be assumed. Electrical stuff isn't put
on such prints because:

1) the electricians won't follow it anyway
2) things are done differently in different areas of the country
(e.g. normal entrance sizes, heating plants, AC needs, etc.)
3) homeowner's choice
4) liability (perhaps the most important)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:

My quick response is the since he "is" an
architect and probably licensed he is responsible
for a higher standard than a homeowner.

Does that hold true for all professions?

If I accidentally shoot my wife should I get a lighter sentence than a cop
that accidentally shoots his wife?

If I accidentally poison my neighbor should I get a lighter sentence than a
doctor that accidentally poisons his neighbor?

I cannot answer those questions. However in the
state I reside the operator of an emergency
vehicle has a "duty to drive with due regard for
the safety of all persons." This means that if
the operator does not "exercise due caution" (
like stopping or slowing) even for a green light
and the driver of another vehicle runs a red and
causes a crash the operator of EV will be held at
fault. You better have your EVOC certs up to
snuff.

--
Tekkie