Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Waterheater death in 3 year old condo building

Can anyone answer our question regarding our water heater that just
broke down yesterday?

We just moved into our dc condo last september and the water heater is
dead now. We are the 2nd owners of this new building. The condos in
our building were built in 2003.

We can't believe that the water heater broke down in 3 years. The
warranty apparently expired in january. (just our luck).

Is there anything that we could do about this? It's definitely the
fan/engine that died. Even though the warranty expired 5 months ago,
isn't it a bit soon for our water heater to die? Does the
manufacturer, condo builder, or anyone else have some responsibility to
replace it? Or is it definitely on us to buy a whole new water heater?

Thanks so much for your help!

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

We can't believe that the water heater broke down in 3 years.

I can. Developers and builders are notorius for using the bare minimum
in quality for construction.

Is there anything that we could do about this?

You could try making a few phone calls, maybe you will get lucky.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i could try making a few phone calls, but who would we call?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On 22 May 2006 11:16:54 -0700, "RayV" wrote:

We can't believe that the water heater broke down in 3 years.

I can. Developers and builders are notorius for using the bare minimum
in quality for construction.

Builders here get run out of town by the dozens. I figure these
heaters last about 4 years a my location. Water hardness, with our
calcium kills them; because I had softener, one lasted 10 years... it
was above the norm for those that did not have a softener.

Recent ones I bought have a 6 year warranty. I would not spend the
extra money for one with a warranty longer, say 12 years.

Is there anything that we could do about this?

You could try making a few phone calls, maybe you will get lucky.

His fish, he cleans 'em.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anyone answer our question regarding our water heater that just
broke down yesterday?

We just moved into our dc condo last september and the water heater is
dead now. We are the 2nd owners of this new building. The condos in
our building were built in 2003.

We can't believe that the water heater broke down in 3 years. The
warranty apparently expired in january. (just our luck).

Is there anything that we could do about this? It's definitely the
fan/engine that died. Even though the warranty expired 5 months ago,
isn't it a bit soon for our water heater to die? Does the
manufacturer, condo builder, or anyone else have some responsibility to
replace it? Or is it definitely on us to buy a whole new water heater?

Thanks so much for your help!

John

I'd call the manufacturer. Tell them you're the building manager,
responsible for deciding what brands to purchase in the future. Tell them
you're ****ed off. Water heaters shouldn't die in 3 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just had the thermocouple go on my Reliant WH, which was nothing
special. Bought it at HD maybe 5 years ago. With the serial number, I
called Reliant up and it was still under warranty. They sent me a new
one that was here in 3 days for free, including shipping.

Every WH I looked at had a warranty for longer than 3 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

So the fan broke, if one broke on your car you would just fix it and not
consider it dead..

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anyone answer our question regarding our water heater that just
broke down yesterday?

We just moved into our dc condo last september and the water heater is
dead now. We are the 2nd owners of this new building. The condos in
our building were built in 2003.

We can't believe that the water heater broke down in 3 years. The
warranty apparently expired in january. (just our luck).

Is there anything that we could do about this? It's definitely the
fan/engine that died. Even though the warranty expired 5 months ago,
isn't it a bit soon for our water heater to die? Does the
manufacturer, condo builder, or anyone else have some responsibility to
replace it? Or is it definitely on us to buy a whole new water heater?

Thanks so much for your help!

John

If it was me I would track down the manufacturer and get their response to
your problem. Sometimes they have known issues with their products and will
offer parts or replacement at no charge without an explanation from them.
The worst that could happen is that they tell you that they won't help.

I assume that you had a professional diagnose the problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Bobst

wrote:
Can anyone answer our question regarding our water heater that just
broke down yesterday?

Is there anything that we could do about this? It's definitely the
fan/engine that died.
John

Go to
www.repair clinic.com. Terrific source of info, parts and advice.
Odds are they can get you back in business and save you a bundle.
Good luck.

Joe