Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Windows, not the PC type

I'm in need to home windows and thus far had three quotes, two for
Marvin Integrity line and one for Pella Impervia line. They are both
more on the expensive side but I feel secure knowing I will have good
windows without worry, other than installation concern.

I just returned from a home improvement show and gathered more
information and names of window retailers for more estimates. It has me
thinking of considering other window brands, such as a local company
called Wallside, which has a good reputation with their windows.
Therefore, I'm wondering what are the general consensus of other brand
windows which anyone has good experience with and would share their input.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/24/2014 04:20 PM, Meanie wrote:
I'm in need to home windows and thus far had three quotes, two for
Marvin Integrity line and one for Pella Impervia line. They are both
more on the expensive side but I feel secure knowing I will have good
windows without worry, other than installation concern.

I just returned from a home improvement show and gathered more
information and names of window retailers for more estimates. It has me
thinking of considering other window brands, such as a local company
called Wallside, which has a good reputation with their windows.
Therefore, I'm wondering what are the general consensus of other brand
windows which anyone has good experience with and would share their input.

Thanks

I went to Window World and had most of my windows replaced.
Now that it's winter, I'm glad ...as there is no more problem with
drafts. They put them in fast and left my house a bit cleaner than it
was when they got here.

Of course , considering that my house was built in 1898 and the windows
were original...probably anything would have been an improvement.

I just looked at the Wallside webpage, they look very similar to the
ones I purchased. I paid about $300 each for mine so if they give you a
better price than that I'd probably go with that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Meanie wrote:
I'm in need to home windows and thus far had three quotes, two for Marvin
Integrity line and one for Pella Impervia line. They are both more on the
expensive side but I feel secure knowing I will have good windows without
worry, other than installation concern.

I just returned from a home improvement show and gathered more
information and names of window retailers for more estimates. It has me
thinking of considering other window brands, such as a local company
called Wallside, which has a good reputation with their windows.
Therefore, I'm wondering what are the general consensus of other brand
windows which anyone has good experience with and would share their input.

Thanks

I installed my own Simonton windows. They have various levels of quality.

http://www.simonton.com/

I bought them through a local Norandex-Reynolds dealer where I can get
windows, doors, siding, etc. at contractor pricing. (I know a salesman that
retired from there, so he put it a good word for me) The way I calculated
the cost for the windows and doors that I've bought from them over the
years is that I get an "upgrade" of one level in quality vs. paying the
same money at a home improvement store.

I have heard many people state that a bad installation can void the
warranty. I won't argue...I'll just tell you of my recent experience...

The upper sash of one window fogged up after about 4 years. I called
Simonton, gave them the serial number from the label on the side of the
sash and 1 week later I had a replacement sash. No questions asked, no
inspection of the installation.

I'm not sure what type of failure would make them question/inspect the
installation before they would honor the warranty, but in this case I
didn't have to do anything except tell them that a sash was foggy and
supply the serial number.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Meanie wrote:
I'm in need to home windows and thus far had three quotes, two for Marvin
Integrity line and one for Pella Impervia line. They are both more on the
expensive side but I feel secure knowing I will have good windows without
worry, other than installation concern.

I just returned from a home improvement show and gathered more
information and names of window retailers for more estimates. It has me
thinking of considering other window brands, such as a local company
called Wallside, which has a good reputation with their windows.
Therefore, I'm wondering what are the general consensus of other brand
windows which anyone has good experience with and would share their input.

Thanks

There are too many companies to tell all. I think the big stores would stay
with companies with usable products. Reputation is a good thing.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gregz" wrote in message
Meanie wrote:
[...]

I had my original windows replaced by WorldofWindowsandSiding.com - I was
happy with the price, as compared to two other quotes (one from Statewide
Remodeling, which was obscenely high) - they took out the old windows and
put the new ones in in about a day - 11 windows.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Angie's List seems to be quite reliable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 17:20:57 -0500, Meanie
wrote:

I'm in need to home windows and thus far had three quotes, two for
Marvin Integrity line and one for Pella Impervia line. They are both
more on the expensive side but I feel secure knowing I will have good
windows without worry, other than installation concern.

I just returned from a home improvement show and gathered more
information and names of window retailers for more estimates. It has me
thinking of considering other window brands, such as a local company
called Wallside, which has a good reputation with their windows.
Therefore, I'm wondering what are the general consensus of other brand
windows which anyone has good experience with and would share their input.

Thanks

Consider windows related specific for your geographic region and
climate. There may be variances in how they are built. Desert vs
Adirondack Mountains.

Regardless, look for windows with dual panes (if not triple) filled
with Argon gas.

Sometimes local manufacturers are better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"AngryOldWhiteGuy" wrote:
"gregz" wrote in message
Meanie wrote:
[...]

In the other house, I had a guy selling windows with another contractors
son, who made windows. I had 6 windows put in, cost about $1800 . The
windows were ok. I didn't like the tilt of some after installation, and I
didn't care for keeping it mounted inward, covering most if the marble
sills.

Takes me most if a day to do one window. I like the windows I ordered
through lowes. Forgot the brand.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Windows, not the PC type TOW

Meanie posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I'm in need to home windows and thus far had three quotes, two for
Marvin Integrity line and one for Pella Impervia line. They are both
more on the expensive side but I feel secure knowing I will have good
windows without worry, other than installation concern.

I just returned from a home improvement show and gathered more
information and names of window retailers for more estimates. It has me
thinking of considering other window brands, such as a local company
called Wallside, which has a good reputation with their windows.
Therefore, I'm wondering what are the general consensus of other brand
windows which anyone has good experience with and would share their input.

Thanks

Only Tom Silva knows and he ain't telling.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Any idea where one would get the European style tiltable-closable windows in the US? They were very energy efficient and tight. We lived overseas a few years and got to like them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 08:42:23 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

Any idea where one would get the European style tiltable-closable windows in the US? They were very energy efficient and tight. We lived overseas a few years and got to like them.

Might check this:

http://www.bieberusa.com/wood_european_windows_doors.html