Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Windows, not the PC type

Meanie wrote:
I'm in need to home windows and thus far had three quotes, two for Marvin
Integrity line and one for Pella Impervia line. They are both more on the
expensive side but I feel secure knowing I will have good windows without
worry, other than installation concern.

I just returned from a home improvement show and gathered more
information and names of window retailers for more estimates. It has me
thinking of considering other window brands, such as a local company
called Wallside, which has a good reputation with their windows.
Therefore, I'm wondering what are the general consensus of other brand
windows which anyone has good experience with and would share their input.

Thanks

I installed my own Simonton windows. They have various levels of quality.

http://www.simonton.com/

I bought them through a local Norandex-Reynolds dealer where I can get
windows, doors, siding, etc. at contractor pricing. (I know a salesman that
retired from there, so he put it a good word for me) The way I calculated
the cost for the windows and doors that I've bought from them over the
years is that I get an "upgrade" of one level in quality vs. paying the
same money at a home improvement store.

I have heard many people state that a bad installation can void the
warranty. I won't argue...I'll just tell you of my recent experience...

The upper sash of one window fogged up after about 4 years. I called
Simonton, gave them the serial number from the label on the side of the
sash and 1 week later I had a replacement sash. No questions asked, no
inspection of the installation.

I'm not sure what type of failure would make them question/inspect the
installation before they would honor the warranty, but in this case I
didn't have to do anything except tell them that a sash was foggy and
supply the serial number.