Posted to alt.home.repair

Default single gang boxes

I recently wall mounted our bedroom TV. Naturally, that left both the AC
cord and data cable hanging down the wall. That was totally unacceptable so
I put a new box up high behind the TV, put the satellite receiver there too.

In order to provide AC to the new box I daisy chained off the duplex outlet
in the old box. That box was single gang - new one is double, AC and data -
and a shallow one at that. The old box already had two lines going into it
and my new one made three. That means three 12 gauge lines...six individual
wires plus a pig tailed wire nut for the additional three ground wires. I'm
telling you, I had a heck of a time getting all that stuffed back into the
box.

My question is, is there a right way to get all that into the box? Some
methodology of arranging the wires maybe? I always hate using brute force,
worrying about shoving a ground into something hot or maybe breaking the
grounds' wire nut.

Yes, I could have replaced the old box with a new, deeper one but I didn't
have one handy and didn't want to make a 20 mile round trip to get one.
Even if I had one it would have been a pain...cut off the nail holding the
old box, hope there was enough slack in the feeds to get into the new box,
hope the hold-in tabs on the new box don't fall off. before getting them
tightened...like that.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 24, 2014 7:27:16 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

IDK of any special tricks, but the essence of your problem is that
per NEC box fill, the box in question is too small for all the
conductors and the outlet that it contains. You're not supposed to
put 10 lbs of stuff in a 5 pound bag.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

buy some spare boxes they are fairly cheap and replace your existing box ASAP.

I keep spare stuff around that saves valuable time if your in the middle of a project
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Friday, January 24, 2014 8:24:15 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

This. You can get gangable metal old work boxes that are 3.5" deep which are really what you need for this, alternately deep plastic Carlon old work boxes. The shallow ones are near useless when you use the more recent box fill calcs.

Also, if you have data and 120VAC in the same box they should be separated with a divider. Really I think what you're looking at to "do it right" is opening the wall, putting the 120VAC in a deep 1900 box with a mud ring, and putting in a low voltage single gang ring to finish that opening.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Couldn't use one of these?
http://preview.tinyurl.com/o6u77yy

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 11:58:29 -0500, wrote:

The trick to stretch a box is to abandon the receptacle and put a
blank cover on it.

Not an electrician, but that was my first thought.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 07:27:16 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

[...]

You can then add another cable and still end up with the
same wire fill count. (you count the current carrying
wires as one each, times the wire size factor) but all
grounds are counted as a total of one wire. You count the
receptacle as 2.

Yeah, I've done that in the (recent) past, just didn't want to mess with a
new hole and getting a box this time.

Thanks.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
[...]

The heat ducts for the second floor run inside the wall where my TV is
mounted so I couldn't add any receptacles up behind the TV.

I used the wide flat cable channel (4th one down on that page) and painted
it to match the wall. With the DVD holder and other items on the AV
equipment cabinet below the TV, only about 6" of the cable channel is
visible.

Works for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message

dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Sure, I could have used a chase of any kind, just looks better without.

--

dadiOH