Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Single Gang Timeswitch

Anybody know of a single gang hardwired time switch that has a
permenant on function? I've found some, eg FST11A but not one with a
permenant on.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/12 11:26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Anybody know of a single gang hardwired time switch that has a
permenant on function? I've found some, eg FST11A but not one with a
permenant on.

Assuming you're not pulling too much current, you could use a single
channel CH programmer. e.g. :-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/siemens-rw...grammer/92939#

Cheers,

Colin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 14:29:40 +0000, Colin Stamp wrote:

Anybody know of a single gang hardwired time switch that has a
permenant on function? I've found some, eg FST11A but not one with

permenant on.

Assuming you're not pulling too much current, you could use a single
channel CH programmer. e.g. :-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/siemens-rw...ingle-channel-
timer-programmer/92939#

Nice try but fails on the single gang requirement. I can't say I've
looked very hard at single channel CH timers, it's to control an oil
boiler and pump so a CH timer is fine.

Immersion and E7 controllers fail on not being single gang as well
that as well.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 14:29:40 +0000, Colin Stamp wrote:

Anybody know of a single gang hardwired time switch that has a
permenant on function? I've found some, eg FST11A but not one with

permenant on.

Assuming you're not pulling too much current, you could use a single
channel CH programmer. e.g. :-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/siemens-rw...ingle-channel-
timer-programmer/92939#

Nice try but fails on the single gang requirement. I can't say I've
looked very hard at single channel CH timers, it's to control an oil
boiler and pump so a CH timer is fine.

Immersion and E7 controllers fail on not being single gang as well
that as well.

--
Cheers
Dave.

What about

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMFST11.html

its a switched spur, but would probably do what you want. Theres a 7 day
version as well. Not particularly cheap.....

Charles F

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Charles Fearnley" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Just re- read the original - and this doeasnt have a permanent on, and is
the one you quoted! Must try harder.....

Charles F

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 16:36:40 -0000, Charles Fearnley wrote:

What about

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMFST11.html

its a switched spur, but would probably do what you want. Theres

a 7
day version as well. Not particularly cheap.....

Just re- read the original - and this doeasnt have a permanent on, and
is the one you quoted! Must try harder.....

I was about to say that is the one of the ones I have found... B-)

As for cheap I've been digging about a bit more there is a Honeywell
ST699, that might do it but that *is* expensive, £60 plus and is two
channel. I already have a spare two chanel CH timer I could use but
it's not single gang.

I've also found the Newlec Programmable Timer
NLETCDRP

http://www.neweysonline.co.uk/newlec...module-white/1
050378530/ProductInformation.raction

http://tinyurl.com/82d6mp6

But I can't find the user or installation manual online to see what
it can really do. The product description/specification is almost
useless...

Anyone know anything about it? It appears to be for lighting control
so perhaps the "manual" mode is on/off via the switch on the front.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/12 15:53, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 14:29:40 +0000, Colin Stamp wrote:

Anybody know of a single gang hardwired time switch that has a
permenant on function? I've found some, eg FST11A but not one with

permenant on.

Assuming you're not pulling too much current, you could use a single
channel CH programmer. e.g. :-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/siemens-rw...ingle-channel-
timer-programmer/92939#

Nice try but fails on the single gang requirement. I can't say I've
looked very hard at single channel CH timers, it's to control an oil
boiler and pump so a CH timer is fine.

Immersion and E7 controllers fail on not being single gang as well
that as well.

Ah, sorry, I thought you meant single channel. I guess you want it to
fit a single back-box?

All the ones I've seen are surface mounted and fit on single boxes - or
are you restricted for space at the sides?

There's always this one:-

http://www.plumb4less.co.uk/product_...oducts_id=1556

Quite swish looking but a bit steep. Ignore the fact that the picture is
of a thermostat - it's a programmer really, and it does have permanent on.

Cheers,

Colin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 20:52:23 +0000, Colin Stamp wrote:

Ah, sorry, I thought you meant single channel. I guess you want it to
fit a single back-box?

Aye.

All the ones I've seen are surface mounted and fit on single boxes - or
are you restricted for space at the sides?

Ideally it needs to fit the left hand hole of a dual gang non flush
back box.

http://www.plumb4less.co.uk/product_...oducts_id=1556

Quite swish looking but a bit steep.

And availalble for a lot less (£60 ish) if you look around,
plumb4less ought to me plumb4more! Grabbed the manual from the Salus
site to see how you use it, as in button pushes etc. It has to be
simple, like a physical on/off switch otherwise I'll get grief from
the other half who may have to operate it.

It's to turn the oil boiler off from about 08-0900 to 15-1600 each
day during the summer when there is little/no space heating demand so
we get maximum benefit from the solar thermal. If the store isn't hot
enough by the time the solar day has ended the oil boiler will come
on and top it up.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/12 21:58, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 20:52:23 +0000, Colin Stamp wrote:

Quite swish looking but a bit steep.

And availalble for a lot less (£60 ish) if you look around,
plumb4less ought to me plumb4more!

Yep. About all they have going for them is that they were about the
first hit which were selling them...

Grabbed the manual from the Salus
site to see how you use it, as in button pushes etc. It has to be
simple, like a physical on/off switch otherwise I'll get grief from
the other half who may have to operate it.

For ultimate simplicity, and assuming you only need SPNO switching, you
could use any old timeswitch and wire a light switch across the
contacts, labeled "Timed" and "On".

Cheers,

Colin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
Anybody know of a single gang hardwired time switch that has a
permenant on function? I've found some, eg FST11A but not one with a
permenant on.

From what's been written in the thread, you seem to need something like
the cheap immersion heater timers from Maplins that I used to use.
On/off/timed operation with a three way slide switch, and a seperate
boost button for one hour, two hours, or until the end of the next timed
cycle. Similar to this one:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/24-hour-elec...ntroller-12726

But they seem to have changed the design to remove the permanent on. It
might be worth asking them if they've any old stock, though.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:34:13 +0000, John Williamson wrote:

From what's been written in the thread, you seem to need something like
the cheap immersion heater timers from Maplins that I used to use.
On/off/timed operation with a three way slide switch,

More or less but all the immersion timers I've seen fall over at the
single gang requirement...

No one has said anything about the "Newlec Programmable Timer Module"
NLETCDRP avialable from Newey & Eyre. That looks promising but I
can't find any detailed information about it, like the User Guide...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:34:13 +0000, John Williamson wrote:

From what's been written in the thread, you seem to need something like
the cheap immersion heater timers from Maplins that I used to use.
On/off/timed operation with a three way slide switch,

More or less but all the immersion timers I've seen fall over at the
single gang requirement...

If you mean they don't fit into a single recessed wall box, you're
right. OTOH, I read single gang as one pole, which seems not to be what
you meant. The Maplin one is about the size of a single surface mount
box though, and has the cables fed into the bottom. If you use trunking
for the cables, rather than run them behind the surface it's not
obviously non-standard.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:34:13 +0000, John Williamson wrote:

From what's been written in the thread, you seem to need something
like the cheap immersion heater timers from Maplins that I used to
use. On/off/timed operation with a three way slide switch,

More or less but all the immersion timers I've seen fall over at the
single gang requirement...

No one has said anything about the "Newlec Programmable Timer Module"
NLETCDRP avialable from Newey & Eyre. That looks promising but I
can't find any detailed information about it, like the User Guide...

Neweys. So redadged stuff. A Google of "programmable light switches" or
similar might find the manufacturer.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 20, 8:09 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

No one has said anything about the "Newlec Programmable Timer Module"
NLETCDRP avialable from Newey & Eyre. That looks promising but I
can't find any detailed information about it, like the User Guide...

Neweys. So redadged stuff. A Google of "programmable light switches" or
similar might find the manufacturer.

Finally got around to that today as I was going to be within a few
miles of Newy branch. Found that the Timeguard ZV700 is a very, very
similar device... Got the User Manual from the Timeguard site and this
does work as one expects. In "manual" the rocker switch on the front
controls the load on/off. In "auto" the timer side has control and the
rocker can turn the load on/off(*) during ON periods. The rocker won't
turn in on during OFF periods.

John Lewis have 'em for £30 Free Delivery but on my trip out I also
happened to drop into Maplin they had one for £28.99. Much better than
Newys, out of stock, asking price of £57.18. B-)

(*) Not fully tested, the manual says you can switch off during ON
periods. It doesn't mention switching back on during ON periods.

--
Cheers
Dave.