Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home insulation failure

I thought my bedroom felt a bit colder than
the rest of the house. I figured it's cause
it's the farthest from the furnace, and only
has one heat register.

Second factor might be insulation failure.
I have frost in a couple places, on the
indoor wall.

Cardboard and staple gun might not be pretty
(I live alone) but I hope it helps with my
energy bill. And my comfort at night.

Amazing what I learn when it's this cold out.
And, thank you to the kind people on the AHR
list who encourage me to look for and act on
cold spots.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/14 5:27 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I thought my bedroom felt a bit colder than
the rest of the house. I figured it's cause
it's the farthest from the furnace, and only
has one heat register.

Second factor might be insulation failure.
I have frost in a couple places, on the
indoor wall.

Cardboard and staple gun might not be pretty
(I live alone) but I hope it helps with my
energy bill. And my comfort at night.

Amazing what I learn when it's this cold out.
And, thank you to the kind people on the AHR
list who encourage me to look for and act on
cold spots.

A former co-worker gave me good advice years ago. Insulate the
skirting when you have a couple bucks in your pocket. No worries about
heat tape malfunction or pipes freezing. Wrap any exposed piping
including the sewer line with insulation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman" wrote:
On 1/23/14 5:27 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I thought my bedroom felt a bit colder than
the rest of the house. I figured it's cause
it's the farthest from the furnace, and only
has one heat register.

Second factor might be insulation failure.
I have frost in a couple places, on the
indoor wall.

Cardboard and staple gun might not be pretty
(I live alone) but I hope it helps with my
energy bill. And my comfort at night.

Amazing what I learn when it's this cold out.
And, thank you to the kind people on the AHR
list who encourage me to look for and act on
cold spots.

A former co-worker gave me good advice years ago. Insulate the
skirting when you have a couple bucks in your pocket. No worries
about heat tape malfunction or pipes freezing. Wrap any exposed
piping including the sewer line with insulation.

I used 1" foam to skirt our camping trailer , using the same stuff around
the bottom of the new "house" . It'll eventually be covered by stone on the
house , not the camper as construction proceeds , but for now it helps keep
the under-house temps above freezing .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:27:08 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I thought my bedroom felt a bit colder than

the rest of the house. I figured it's cause

it's the farthest from the furnace, and only

has one heat register.

Second factor might be insulation failure.

I have frost in a couple places, on the

indoor wall.

Cardboard and staple gun might not be pretty

(I live alone) but I hope it helps with my

energy bill. And my comfort at night.

Amazing what I learn when it's this cold out.

And, thank you to the kind people on the AHR

list who encourage me to look for and act on

cold spots.

You made another post about your humidifier putting a lot of
water into the air and wondering where it was all going. It
may be that the water has made it's way into the insualtion.
Wet insulation is probably 90%+ compromised in it's capability
to block heat transfer. If you don't have a proper vapor
barrier on the insulation, or it made it through somehow, that
could be part or all of your problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/24/2014 9:44 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I used 1" foam to skirt our camping trailer , using the same stuff around
the bottom of the new "house" . It'll eventually be covered by stone on the
house , not the camper as construction proceeds , but for now it helps keep
the under-house temps above freezing .

They do sell sheets of foam, or of rigid
fiberglass. That's actually excellent idea.

I was a bit warmer, last night. With cardboard
over the areas which had been frosty. Now, I'm
considering sheet plastic as vapor barrier.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Terry Coombs, Keith Jordan wrote:
How thick was the insulation ? Was it the good styrofoam?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...re-782000-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2018 3:14 PM, Keith Jordan wrote:
replying to Terry Coombs, Keith Jordan wrote:
How thick was the insulation ? Was it the good styrofoam?

Â* I had to dig into the wayback files to see what you were talking
about ... I used 1" thick white foam . Same stuff they make cups out of .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on