Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Harbor Freight difficult choice

I can get another battery for my impact driver for
$14.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt...ery-68860.html

Or, I can get a cordless drill with a charger and
battery for 16.99

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wsw...tm_source=1031

So, dear Miss Manners, which is the better deal?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/23/2014 03:15 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I can get another battery for my impact driver for
$14.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt...ery-68860.html

Or, I can get a cordless drill with a charger and
battery for 16.99

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wsw...tm_source=1031

So, dear Miss Manners, which is the better deal?

Since I needed tools for industrial use I got one of these

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...rdless/2410-20

or something like it.

The small battery pack fooled me. It really holds up longer and charges
fast.

Of course it was not cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2014 5:25 PM, philo wrote:

Since I needed tools for industrial use I got one of these
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...rdless/2410-20
or something like it.
The small battery pack fooled me. It really holds up longer and charges
fast.
Of course it was not cheap.

Lot to be said for quality "a poor man cannot afford
a cheap shirt". But, for the moment I don't have
any spending money.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Thursday, January 23, 2014 6:21:42 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/23/2014 5:25 PM, philo wrote:

Since I needed tools for industrial use I got one of these

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...rdless/2410-20

or something like it.

The small battery pack fooled me. It really holds up longer and charges

fast.

Of course it was not cheap.

Lot to be said for quality "a poor man cannot afford

a cheap shirt". But, for the moment I don't have

any spending money.

Seriously, I'd save my money.

Example: Friend of mine bought a Harbor Freight tire inflator. He laughed at me for paying $60 for a Longacre inflator when his HF one cost under $10 and to be fair, the gauge on it checked within the limits of my eyes as accurate WRT the Longacre.

Fast forward a couple months. Suddenly the gauge on the HF inflator is reading high. I figured that I'd just slap a better gauge on it and give it back to him. Well it takes a 1/8" NPT gauge and all I can find that seem decent are 1/4". Then I thought I'd tell him to just buy another $10 inflator and I'll salvage what I can for my tool kit. Well the tire chuck on it is kind of annoying, the gauge is busted, and the inflator itself sticks sometimes. What's left... the hose?

I really like my Longacre inflator. Interco makes a nice one, too.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/23/2014 05:21 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/23/2014 5:25 PM, philo wrote:

Since I needed tools for industrial use I got one of these
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...rdless/2410-20
or something like it.
The small battery pack fooled me. It really holds up longer and charges
fast.
Of course it was not cheap.

Lot to be said for quality "a poor man cannot afford
a cheap shirt". But, for the moment I don't have
any spending money.

So you are not going to be a good American and go into debt?

Me neither.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2014 6:29 PM, philo wrote:
Lot to be said for quality "a poor man cannot afford
a cheap shirt". But, for the moment I don't have
any spending money.

So you are not going to be a good American and go into debt?
Me neither.

In my case, I'm an excellent American. But,
there is a limit to how much I can run up,
and then I've got to slow down a bit. As
you can tell, I'm not in Congress.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/23/2014 05:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/23/2014 6:29 PM, philo wrote:
Lot to be said for quality "a poor man cannot afford
a cheap shirt". But, for the moment I don't have
any spending money.

So you are not going to be a good American and go into debt?
Me neither.

In my case, I'm an excellent American. But,
there is a limit to how much I can run up,
and then I've got to slow down a bit. As
you can tell, I'm not in Congress.

I have /one/ credit card and have a rule:

If I can't afford it, I don't buy it.

It's for convenience only and I have not paid one cent interest.

When the stock became public I bought all I could afford and now the
money I'm making from it is about equal to my monthly bills.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo " wrote in message
So you are not going to be a good American and go into debt?
Me neither.

In my case, I'm an excellent American. But,
there is a limit to how much I can run up,
and then I've got to slow down a bit. As
you can tell, I'm not in Congress.

I have /one/ credit card and have a rule:

If I can't afford it, I don't buy it.

It's for convenience only and I have not paid one cent interest.

Are you making any money off the credit card ? One of mine pays a small
percentage back. Also have a couple of store credit cards that if you
charge them you get a deal sometimes. Like Lowes gives you 5 % off if I
remember the correct card.
Charged something to Belks with their card and got a deal, but need to make
sure it is payed off. Think it is like about 24%.

Just make sure you can pay off what you charge at the end of the month.
Also use a pay by computer (whatever you call it) to send money from my
checking account to the various places.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/23/2014 06:19 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"phX only and I have not paid one cent interest.

Are you making any money off the credit card ? One of mine pays a small
percentage back. Also have a couple of store credit cards that if you
charge them you get a deal sometimes. Like Lowes gives you 5 % off if I
remember the correct card.
Charged something to Belks with their card and got a deal, but need to make
sure it is payed off. Think it is like about 24%.

Just make sure you can pay off what you charge at the end of the month.
Also use a pay by computer (whatever you call it) to send money from my
checking account to the various places.

Yes, I get 1% back. Like I said...I have never paid a cent of interest
....full amount is paid each month.

I suppose I could setup a bank transfer as pretty much everything I have
is auto-deposit or auto-withdrawal..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 18:21:42 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/23/2014 5:25 PM, philo wrote:

Since I needed tools for industrial use I got one of these
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...rdless/2410-20
or something like it.
The small battery pack fooled me. It really holds up longer and charges
fast.
Of course it was not cheap.

Lot to be said for quality "a poor man cannot afford
a cheap shirt". But, for the moment I don't have
any spending money.

A man who buys cheap shoes can never afford good shoes - and a man
who always buys cheap tools will never be able to afford good tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/23/2014 06:57 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"DeaX

As my pension and social security goes there, it is convienient for me. I
can check on what I have at any time and if the checking account runs low
and I have the money , I can transfer some from the money market account
that is now paying a whopping .15% Was gettin a lot more before the big
meltdown of the economy.
Just about the same as a 1 year CD. Think that is what small CDs for one
year are getting there now.

I was going to make a joke and say that I'm so poor, I only get $2 a
year interest at my bank...

but then realized only a millionaire would be able to get that much
return considering the interest rate is something like 0.0002 %

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/23/2014 5:25 PM, philo wrote:

Since I needed tools for industrial use I got one of these
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...rdless/2410-20
or something like it.
The small battery pack fooled me. It really holds up longer and
charges fast.
Of course it was not cheap.

Lot to be said for quality "a poor man cannot afford
a cheap shirt". But, for the moment I don't have
any spending money.

A man who buys cheap shoes can never afford good shoes - and a man
who always buys cheap tools will never be able to afford good tools.

I buy cheap good tools. Used.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2014 6:29 PM, N8N wrote:

Example: Friend of mine bought a Harbor Freight tire inflator. He laughed at me for paying $60 for a Longacre inflator when his HF one cost under $10 and to be fair, the gauge on it checked within the limits of my eyes as accurate WRT the Longacre.

Fast forward a couple months. Suddenly the gauge on the HF inflator is reading high. I figured that I'd just slap a better gauge on it and give it back to him. Well it takes a 1/8" NPT gauge and all I can find that seem decent are 1/4". Then I thought I'd tell him to just buy another $10 inflator and I'll salvage what I can for my tool kit. Well the tire chuck on it is kind of annoying, the gauge is busted, and the inflator itself sticks sometimes. What's left... the hose?

Power cord, for your next car device?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
On 01/23/2014 06:57 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"DeaX

As my pension and social security goes there, it is convienient for
me. I
can check on what I have at any time and if the checking account runs low
and I have the money , I can transfer some from the money market account
that is now paying a whopping .15% Was gettin a lot more before the big
meltdown of the economy.
Just about the same as a 1 year CD. Think that is what small CDs for one
year are getting there now.

I was going to make a joke and say that I'm so poor, I only get $2 a
year interest at my bank...

but then realized only a millionaire would be able to get that much
return considering the interest rate is something like 0.0002 %

Yeah, I get about the same interest rate on savings. I guess it balances
out because I have totally free checking.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/23/2014 11:18 PM, willshak wrote:
pX

I was going to make a joke and say that I'm so poor, I only get $2 a
year interest at my bank...

but then realized only a millionaire would be able to get that much
return considering the interest rate is something like 0.0002 %

Yeah, I get about the same interest rate on savings. I guess it balances
out because I have totally free checking.

Yep, I just keep enough money in my account to qualify for free checking.
I guess they'd charge $6 a month otherwise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2014 4:25 PM, philo wrote:
On 01/23/2014 03:15 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I can get another battery for my impact driver for $14.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt...ery-68860.html

Or, I can get a cordless drill with a charger and
battery for 16.99

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wsw...tm_source=1031

So, dear Miss Manners, which is the better deal?

Since I needed tools for industrial use I got one of these

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...rdless/2410-20

or something like it.

The small battery pack fooled me. It really holds up longer and
charges fast.

Of course it was not cheap.

I have one of these that I bought in 1989 and it's still going strong.
I've had to replace the batteries a few times and since the item was
manufactured by Panasonic for Milwaukee, the Panasonic batteries for
their identical unit except for housing color will fit. Last year I got
several new batteries from Amazon. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-6547...lwaukee+6546-1

http://preview.tinyurl.com/nc3dbqk

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2014 5:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/23/2014 6:29 PM, philo wrote:
Lot to be said for quality "a poor man cannot afford a cheap
shirt". But, for the moment I don't have any spending money.

So you are not going to be a good American and go into debt? Me
neither.

In my case, I'm an excellent American. But, there is a limit to how
much I can run up, and then I've got to slow down a bit. As you can
tell, I'm not in Congress.

Because I'm on Social Security Disability and can't, no matter how hard
I try, work anymore. I will never be able to replace my tools. I keep
them locked up to prevent any permanent borrowing. I do loan them to
trusted friends and use them around the house but I can't run up and
down ladders anymore like I could when I was in my 50's. I could climb
like a monkey but now I just look like one. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2014 6:19 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"philo " wrote in message
[...]

I pay everything online even my vehicle tag because I'm unable to stand
in any queue even if I take my walker. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:30:44 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/23/2014 6:29 PM, N8N wrote:

Example: Friend of mine bought a Harbor Freight tire inflator. He laughed at me for paying $60 for a Longacre inflator when his HF one cost under $10 and to be fair, the gauge on it checked within the limits of my eyes as accurate WRT the Longacre.

Fast forward a couple months. Suddenly the gauge on the HF inflator is reading high. I figured that I'd just slap a better gauge on it and give it back to him. Well it takes a 1/8" NPT gauge and all I can find that seem decent are 1/4". Then I thought I'd tell him to just buy another $10 inflator and I'll salvage what I can for my tool kit. Well the tire chuck on it is kind of annoying, the gauge is busted, and the inflator itself sticks sometimes. What's left... the hose?

Power cord, for your next car device?

No cord, hooks to shop air.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Are you worth more dead than alive? ^_^

Not any more. I quit buying life insurance on me or my wife over 15 years
ago.

Once the childern were grown and everything was paid for there was no need
for life insurance.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Because I'm on Social Security Disability and can't, no matter how hard
I try, work anymore. I will never be able to replace my tools. I keep
them locked up to prevent any permanent borrowing. I do loan them to
trusted friends and use them around the house but I can't run up and
down ladders anymore like I could when I was in my 50's. I could climb
like a monkey but now I just look like one. ^_^

TDD

Sounds like you're a survivor. And, that makes you a
chImpion, in my eyes. Way to go, chImp!

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

The choice was made easier. The drill combo was
Drill Master, which is a different size and type
of battery. Won't fit my Chicago Electric. Sigh.

Don't you just hate that?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Harbor Freight air tank

On 1/24/2014 10:41 AM, N8N wrote:
On Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:30:44 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Example: Friend of mine bought a Harbor Freight tire inflator. He laughed at me for paying $60 for a Longacre inflator when his HF one cost under $10 and to be fair, the gauge on it checked within the limits of my eyes as accurate WRT the Longacre.

Power cord, for your next car device?

No cord, hooks to shop air.

I call that an expansion tank, or burp tank. Not
an inflator. An inflator (to me) is a compressor.
Or a tire pump.

In the case of that tank, you can put it in the
system with your home compressor, so it runs
longer between cycles. More oompah in the first
couple seconds, for air tools.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 15:30:19 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

The choice was made easier. The drill combo was
Drill Master, which is a different size and type
of battery. Won't fit my Chicago Electric. Sigh.

Don't you just hate that?

No. Not if one checks those things, first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The choice was made easier. The drill combo was
Drill Master, which is a different size and type
of battery. Won't fit my Chicago Electric. Sigh.

Don't you just hate that?

No. Not if one checks those things, first.

I checked while in the store. I noticed the one
had a yellow button, the other had red. I
did mention that to the cashier, she is who
told me about the different brands.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo* posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 01/23/2014 03:15 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I can get another battery for my impact driver for
$14.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt...ery-68860.html

Or, I can get a cordless drill with a charger and
battery for 16.99

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wsw...tm_source=1031

So, dear Miss Manners, which is the better deal?

Since I needed tools for industrial use I got one of these

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...rdless/2410-20

or something like it.

The small battery pack fooled me. It really holds up longer and charges
fast.

Of course it was not cheap.

I favor Milwaukee tools. Their latest line has
brushless motors. Oh well don't have the money or
body to indulge my fantasies.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Are you worth more dead than alive? ^_^

Not any more. I quit buying life insurance on me or my wife over 15 years
ago.

Once the childern were grown and everything was paid for there was no need
for life insurance.

Don't you want to pay your "final expenses"?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

[...]

I just thought it was a long beard... I wondered
why you keep scratching your "bald spot"

You could use a better deodorant ou de banana
stinks.

--
Tekkie

Where did Harbor Freight come from? hr(bob) [email protected] Home Repair 4 February 27th 12 01:20 PM
New Saw from Harbor Freight justme[_2_] Metalworking 24 May 21st 11 04:19 AM
Harbor Freight DMM Jim Yanik Home Repair 5 June 5th 06 03:09 PM
Harbor Freight tmurf.1 Home Repair 30 May 26th 06 07:31 PM
More on Harbor Freight DC mac davis Woodworking 11 November 22nd 04 08:20 PM