Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to get on a mailing list

I had never heard of "Neighbor to Neighbor" before. While talking to
my aunt on the phone, she discovered that I also got my hair cut at
"Great Clips" She told me that a local flyer she gets in the mail N2N
had a coupon for a discount on haircuts. I found out that there is an
online version of N2N. I went online and printed a coupon and took it
in to "Great Clips" for a haircut. I now get N2N in the mail.

I really get tired of having to move stuff from the mailbox to the
trash can.

I would say the most likely thing that happened was when I used the
coupon, "Great Clips" put me on N2N's mailing list. I had been using
"Great Clips" for at least 3 years. I assume cashing the coupon
somehow enables "Great Clips" to sell/share my info with N2N (and who
knows who else).

The first time I went into the store, they asked for my name and
address "for the computer" and when I go in they ask for my phone
number. I never really objected before but now that I have made the
connection, I may not furnish any more stores with my personal
information. It really isn't personal, is it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 18:16:12 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

[...]

I'm not a psychiatrist, but why would you even consider that not
giving accurate information to a company to be personal? It doesn't
make sense.

If a local store asked for your Zip code - would you give it to them
or would you give a bogus one? Phone number?

You can still by a local product with a bogus Zip code, last I
checked.

YMMV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2014 6:16 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

I go to Great Clips but have not made that connection with N2N or get
their mailings so I assume you got snagged by on-line N2N rather than
Great Clips.

I like Great Clips checking you in immediately by phone number rather
than sitting with a group of guys in the barber shop wondering who's
next. For us seniors, it's only $11 vs $15 for senior day at the barber
shop. I leave a better tip and have never had a bad hair cut there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 18:44:07 -0500, Frank
wrote:

[...]

So how would going online to N2N give them my personal information? I
am not saying it doesn't. I am asking.
BTW the flyer doesn't have my name, but it have my address and it only
started coming after I used the coupon.

I like Great Clips checking you in immediately by phone number rather
than sitting with a group of guys in the barber shop wondering who's
next. For us seniors, it's only $11 vs $15 for senior day at the barber
shop. I leave a better tip and have never had a bad hair cut there.

I like Great Clips too. That is why I have been going for so long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/18/2014 05:16 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

Glad I'm bald and don't have to deal with that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 18:24:15 -0600, philo* wrote:

[...]

Go to N2N. Maybe you can find a Rogaine coupon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Yes, sounds like that's one way to get on a mailing list.
I see a trend in the US and probably rest of the world.
Everyone just ass/u/mes that you want their advertising,
and everyone else's. And, so, the information goes wild,
and the spam keeps pouring in.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Just saying, it did not happen to me and I never made an N2N connection.
I hate junk mail too but this would probably be insignificant to all the
loose flyers we already get in the mail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/18/2014 06:25 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 18:24:15 -0600, philo wrote:

On 01/18/2014 05:16 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I had neve

Glad I'm bald and don't have to deal with that.

Go to N2N. Maybe you can find a Rogaine coupon.

Noooo rogaine for me
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2014 7:25 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 18:24:15 -0600, philo wrote:

Glad I'm bald and don't have to deal with that.

Go to N2N. Maybe you can find a Rogaine coupon.

Hair is over rated!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/18/2014 07:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/18/2014 7:25 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 18:24:15 -0600, philo wrote:

Glad I'm bald and don't have to deal with that.

Go to N2N. Maybe you can find a Rogaine coupon.

Hair is over rated!

My wife cuts the little I have left.

What falls to the floor is laughable.

I always kid her about the huge mess!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 19:56:04 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 01/18/2014 07:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/18/2014 7:25 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 18:24:15 -0600, philo wrote:

Glad I'm bald and don't have to deal with that.

Go to N2N. Maybe you can find a Rogaine coupon.

Hair is over rated!

My wife cuts the little I have left.

What falls to the floor is laughable.

I always kid her about the huge mess!

I hear that. When my hair is cut - outside, I advise her to leave it
for the birds, so they can use it in a nest for warmth.

....a little help for the birds

I have not paid for a hair cut for over a decade.

Eleven years since I polished shoes....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/18/2014 08:11 PM, Oren wrote:
OnX
I hear that. When my hair is cut - outside, I advise her to leave it
for the birds, so they can use it in a nest for warmth.

...a little help for the birds

I have not paid for a hair cut for over a decade.

Eleven years since I polished shoes....

Yeah.

I recall that when I had a lot of hair...a regular barber was not good
enough for me so would go to a hair stylist.

Eventually I ended up going to one of those "retired men's haircuts
$1.75 " places and read the 30 year old sports magazines while I waited.

When I met my (now) wife she took on that responsibility.

As to shoes, I still put on polish but I don't bother to shine them.

Found this in my basement:

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...57752951_o.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/19/2014 6:27 AM, philo wrote:

As to shoes, I still put on polish but I don't bother to shine them.

Found this in my basement:

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...57752951_o.jpg

For folks who don't know it from Shinola?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/19/2014 06:30 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/19/2014 6:27 AM, philo wrote:

As to shoes, I still put on polish but I don't bother to shine them.

Found this in my basement:

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...57752951_o.jpg

For folks who don't know it from Shinola?

from the Wizard of Id comic

Many years ago, when they were hiring a stable boy. In the interview, he
was shown something, and they said, "What's this?" He said "Shinola".
They said, "You're hired!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't see that giving a zip code to be too invasive.

You can still by a local product with a bogus Zip code, last I
checked.

Why?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

"Your zip code doesn't just tell retailers where you live. When you
make a purchase, retailers can use your zip code to figure out your
address, phone number and purchasing history. It's one method
businesses use to sharpen their marketing pitches.

Stores want your zip code because, combined with your name from your
credit card, they can use it to find out other information about you
from commercial databases. They may even sell the information to data
brokers, who sell it to other marketers. The result can be unwanted
catalogs and other junk mail."

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/24229244/8-on-your-side-some-retailers-seek-customer-zip-codes
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Oh, good grief. If they have your CC# they really don't need any more
information about you. If you're that paranoid, use cash.

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/24229244/8-on-your-side-some-retailers-seek-customer-zip-codes

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2014 8:56 PM, philo wrote:
On 01/18/2014 07:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/18/2014 7:25 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 18:24:15 -0600, philo wrote:

Glad I'm bald and don't have to deal with that.

Go to N2N. Maybe you can find a Rogaine coupon.

Hair is over rated!

My wife cuts the little I have left.

What falls to the floor is laughable.

I always kid her about the huge mess!

I see couples that cut each others hair.
Looks like they do it with a hedge clipper.

Getting off a mailing list? Brian Gaff UK diy 17 January 15th 13 11:51 PM
E-mailing to group dave Home Repair 2 December 4th 06 02:58 PM
alt-hvac Yahoo! mailing list. Stormin Mormon Home Repair 0 July 4th 06 09:08 PM
OT - mailing list for bicycles? Timothy Murphy UK diy 6 November 11th 05 08:01 PM
Where can I purchase a mailing list? [email protected] Home Ownership 3 February 22nd 05 01:40 AM