Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to get on a mailing list

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 09:33:18 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 12:11:35 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 15:40:49 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 18:16:12 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

I had never heard of "Neighbor to Neighbor" before. While talking to
my aunt on the phone, she discovered that I also got my hair cut at
"Great Clips" She told me that a local flyer she gets in the mail N2N
had a coupon for a discount on haircuts. I found out that there is an
online version of N2N. I went online and printed a coupon and took it
in to "Great Clips" for a haircut. I now get N2N in the mail.

I really get tired of having to move stuff from the mailbox to the
trash can.

I would say the most likely thing that happened was when I used the
coupon, "Great Clips" put me on N2N's mailing list. I had been using
"Great Clips" for at least 3 years. I assume cashing the coupon
somehow enables "Great Clips" to sell/share my info with N2N (and who
knows who else).

The first time I went into the store, they asked for my name and
address "for the computer" and when I go in they ask for my phone
number. I never really objected before but now that I have made the
connection, I may not furnish any more stores with my personal
information. It really isn't personal, is it?

I'm not a psychiatrist, but why would you even consider that not
giving accurate information to a company to be personal? It doesn't
make sense.

If a local store asked for your Zip code - would you give it to them
or would you give a bogus one? Phone number?

I don't see that giving a zip code to be too invasive.

You can still by a local product with a bogus Zip code, last I
checked.

Why?

"Your zip code doesn't just tell retailers where you live. When you
make a purchase, retailers can use your zip code to figure out your
address, phone number and purchasing history. It's one method
businesses use to sharpen their marketing pitches.

Stores want your zip code because, combined with your name from your
credit card, they can use it to find out other information about you
from commercial databases. They may even sell the information to data
brokers, who sell it to other marketers. The result can be unwanted
catalogs and other junk mail."

Oh, good grief. If they have your CC# they really don't need any more
information about you. If you're that paranoid, use cash.

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/24229244/8-on-your-side-some-retailers-seek-customer-zip-codes