Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Powering LEDs from a broken LED/LCD TV.

Hope this link works. I occasionally part out newer TVs that have had the screen broken. I decided I'd try to get a set of LED's to light up. Got 8 of these strips out of a 46" Samsung. I ramped up the voltage till I got pretty good illumination. Ended up with 48v and about 1/3 amp to do one strip. In the picture I have a 10ohm resistor but it works without a current limiting resistor. I just had this one in the circuit so I could calculate current. The mounting board seems to get warm so I suspect the current limiting is built into the strip. I'm thinking about using these for some outdoor lighting projects.

https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/...75206785_n.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgang wrote:
Hope this link works. I occasionally part out newer TVs that have had
the screen broken. I decided I'd try to get a set of LED's to light up.
Got 8 of these strips out of a 46" Samsung. I ramped up the voltage till
I got pretty good illumination. Ended up with 48v and about 1/3 amp to
do one strip. In the picture I have a 10ohm resistor but it works
without a current limiting resistor. I just had this one in the circuit
so I could calculate current. The mounting board seems to get warm so I
suspect the current limiting is built into the strip. I'm thinking about
using these for some outdoor lighting projects.

https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/...75206785_n.jpg

Don't know about the limiting, but I like the variac. Used to use one that
also had meters.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 10, 2014 2:23:32 PM UTC-6, jamesgang wrote:
Hope this link works. I occasionally part out newer TVs that have had the screen broken. I decided I'd try to get a set of LED's to light up. Got 8 of these strips out of a 46" Samsung. I ramped up the voltage till I got pretty good illumination. Ended up with 48v and about 1/3 amp to do one strip.. In the picture I have a 10ohm resistor but it works without a current limiting resistor. I just had this one in the circuit so I could calculate current. The mounting board seems to get warm so I suspect the current limiting is built into the strip. I'm thinking about using these for some outdoor lighting projects. https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/...75206785_n.jpg

That sure looks like a Harbor Freight multimeter sitting there!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2014 9:43 AM, willshak wrote:
wrote:
https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/...75206785_n.jpg

That sure looks like a Harbor Freight multimeter sitting there!!!!

Why? It's not a cen-tech multimeter which is HF's brand.

Cen Tech typically have the leads on the lower right, front.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/10/2014 07:25 PM, wrote:
On Friday, January 10, 2014 2:23:32 PM UTC-6, jamesgang wrote:

https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/...75206785_n.jpg

That sure looks like a Harbor Freight multimeter sitting there!!!!

The case is similar, but the label says it's a "Windward Multimeter
WP2000". I looked it up but I can't find a reference to anything by
that name, or even by that company. Hmmm....

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:23:32 -0800 (PST), jamesgang
wrote:

Hope this link works. I occasionally part out newer TVs that have had the screen broken. I decided I'd try to get a set of LED's to light up. Got 8 of these strips out of a 46" Samsung. I ramped up the voltage till I got pretty good illumination. Ended up with 48v and about 1/3 amp to do one strip. In the picture I have a 10ohm resistor but it works without a current limiting resistor. I just had this one in the circuit so I could calculate current. The mounting board seems to get warm so I suspect the current limiting is built into the strip. I'm thinking about using these for some outdoor lighting projects.

https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/...75206785_n.jpg

You will probably want some current limiting in there for your
project. You can't count on the line voltage being constant and the
current will vary wildly depending on the voltage. You're unlikely to
get an integral number of strips to work out to the right voltage,
either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hope this link works. I occasionally part out newer TVs that have had the screen broken. I decided I'd try to get a set of LED's to light up. Got 8 of these strips out of a 46" Samsung. I ramped up the voltage till I got pretty good illumination. Ended up with 48v and about 1/3 amp to do one strip. In the picture I have a 10ohm resistor but it works without a current limiting resistor. I just had this one in the circuit so I could calculate current. The mounting board seems to get warm so I suspect the current limiting is built into the strip. I'm thinking about using these for some outdoor lighting projects.

https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/...75206785_n.jpg

---
If there's a current limiter in there, then once it kicks in the
voltage across the 10 ohm resistor will stay constant if the input
voltage is increased - within limits -...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:27:05 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking I'll go with a 48v switching power supply. They are pretty cheap on flea-bay. The tv power supply says the led voltage was 122 vdc. I guess two strips in series. The strips all connected to a distribution strip running down the side, I should have checked that out closer but I threw it away with the tv plastic and wires. The led strip is actually 2 strips that connect about 2/3 of the way down. They are in series because it doesn't light if you disconnect the second segment. I'm thinking they use different length 2nd sections for different size tv's. I got 8 sets of these out of this 46" tv.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:56:57 AM UTC-5, John Fields wrote:
[...]

I can't really figure out why else the board would get warm. It's got paint over it so I can't really trace anything on it. There are a few surface mount parts on it besides the leds but they are small so I can't see them being much of a current limit at a 1/3 of an amp. I cranked the voltage up into the 50s but it didn't get much brighter so I figure 48v is safe. I've run it at 48v for about 30 hours now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:59:14 PM UTC-5, jamesgang wrote:
[...]

My $8, 10amp, 48vdc power supply showed up. Tried a strip on it with no resistor. Seems to work fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 10, 2014 at 3:23:32 PM UTC-5, jamesgang wrote:
Hope this link works. I occasionally part out newer TVs that have had the screen broken. I decided I'd try to get a set of LED's to light up. Got 8 of these strips out of a 46" Samsung. I ramped up the voltage till I got pretty good illumination. Ended up with 48v and about 1/3 amp to do one strip. In the picture I have a 10ohm resistor but it works without a current limiting resistor. I just had this one in the circuit so I could calculate current. The mounting board seems to get warm so I suspect the current limiting is built into the strip. I'm thinking about using these for some outdoor lighting projects.

https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/...75206785_n.jpg

Hi there,

the link apparently no longer works and i was wondering if you can help me out, my son is trying to get the LED's from an old 46" samsung t.v. to light up, but for some reason they are not. is it possible to light up just one section or both must be put together? Also what kind of power supply do we need? 24 volts or 48 volts?