Posted to alt.home.repair
jamesgang jamesgang is offline

Default Powering LEDs from a broken LED/LCD TV.

On Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:56:57 AM UTC-5, John Fields wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 12:23:32 -0800 (PST), jamesgang

Hope this link works. I occasionally part out newer TVs that have had the screen broken. I decided I'd try to get a set of LED's to light up. Got 8 of these strips out of a 46" Samsung. I ramped up the voltage till I got pretty good illumination. Ended up with 48v and about 1/3 amp to do one strip. In the picture I have a 10ohm resistor but it works without a current limiting resistor. I just had this one in the circuit so I could calculate current. The mounting board seems to get warm so I suspect the current limiting is built into the strip. I'm thinking about using these for some outdoor lighting projects.

https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/...75206785_n.jpg

---

If there's a current limiter in there, then once it kicks in the

voltage across the 10 ohm resistor will stay constant if the input

voltage is increased - within limits -...

I can't really figure out why else the board would get warm. It's got paint over it so I can't really trace anything on it. There are a few surface mount parts on it besides the leds but they are small so I can't see them being much of a current limit at a 1/3 of an amp. I cranked the voltage up into the 50s but it didn't get much brighter so I figure 48v is safe. I've run it at 48v for about 30 hours now.