Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exposed Romex wiring - drilling into beam to hide wire?

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the
main room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like
to redrill the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't
exposed. There appears to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill
through (I am assuming this is why the wire comes into the room and then
snakes back into the wall - to avoid this beam?)

Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam?

any advice is appreciated!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 18:44:02 +0000, SethF
wrote:

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the
main room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like
to redrill the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't
exposed. There appears to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill
through (I am assuming this is why the wire comes into the room and then
snakes back into the wall - to avoid this beam?)

Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam?

any advice is appreciated!

I think I know what you're saying but I'm not sure. Could you post a
pic somewhere so we can see?
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the
main room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like
to redrill the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't
exposed. There appears to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill
through (I am assuming this is why the wire comes into the room and then
snakes back into the wall - to avoid this beam?)

Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam?

any advice is appreciated!

I think I know what you're saying but I'm not sure. Could you post a
pic somewhere so we can see?

I'd be curious is there is enough wire present to change the route. I
can think of something to get the wire behind the wall, but hard for
me to explain. Pics would be nice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the
main room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like
to redrill the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't
exposed. There appears to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill
through (I am assuming this is why the wire comes into the room and then
snakes back into the wall - to avoid this beam?)

Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam?

any advice is appreciated!

*That 4" beam sounds like a double top plate which is supporting the floor
above. No problem drilling through it for wires, but keep your holes small
and not too close together. Around here (NJ) those holes are supposed to be
sealed with a fire rated caulk which you can find at Home Depot. Watch out
for nails. As someone else mentioned, a picture would be very helpful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

As others have mentioned, pictures would help.

I'd like to know what you mean by "exposed". Where are they exposed? In
full view of anyone in a room? I hope not!

Please explain what you mean by "exposed".

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to SethF, SethF wrote:
SethF wrote:

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the

main
room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like to

redrill
the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't exposed. There

appears
to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill through (I am assuming this is

why
the wire comes into the room and then snakes back into the wall - to avoid

this
beam?)
Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam?
any advice is appreciated!

Hi Thanks for replying. Here are some pictures of what i'm trying to do -

Posted to alt.home.repair

SethF wrote:

Hi Thanks for replying. Here are some pictures of what i'm trying to do -

bad links made hot

http://www.homeownershub.com/img/28

http://www.homeownershub.com/img/29

Thanks for the pics.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SethF wrote:

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic
into the main room and then into the wall to power 3 different
outlets. We'd like to redrill the attic holes to be behind the wall
so this wire isn't exposed. There appears to be a ~4inch beam that
we'll need to drill through (I am assuming this is why the wire
comes into the room and then snakes back into the wall - to avoid
this beam?) Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center
of this
beam? any advice is appreciated!

Hi Thanks for replying. Here are some pictures of what i'm trying to
do - http://www.homeownershub.com/img/28 .

http://www.homeownershub.com/img/29 .

Your links didn't work for me, but I re-formatted them above and also he
http://www.homeownershub.com/img/28

http://www.homeownershub.com/img/29 .

Hopefully, these will work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the
main room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like
to redrill the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't
exposed. There appears to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill
through (I am assuming this is why the wire comes into the room and then
snakes back into the wall - to avoid this beam?)

Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam?

any advice is appreciated!

How about putting a soffit there or let the wires come into a cabinet?
The wire that is cut can be moved into the soffit with an exposed
cover or into the cabinet with a junction box.

You should mark one of those romex with black tape at the ceiling an
where it exits the wall in case you do have to cut them. You should
be able to tell them apart.

If you do decide to drill into the beam you can cut a larger opening
in the sheet rock and drill up.

The romex that is cut is required to have the splices in a junction
box that you can get to the cover. It can be in the attic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SethF wrote:

Hi Thanks for replying. Here are some pictures of what i'm trying to do -

bad links made hot

http://www.homeownershub.com/img/28

http://www.homeownershub.com/img/29

Thanks for the pics.

The HOH server burped. Stuck in stupid. I saw the pics in my links
and now the links hang.

OP. Put the pics on a free host site, then put a link to the photo
here inside your message.

The HOH is not always brilliant.

The two ceiling wire holes is an easy fix with a little patch work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SethF wrote:

[...]

It looks like these wires used to be in a soffit or above/behind cabinets.

I am not sure, but you may be able to chisel out a couple of small channels,
push the wires back into those channels so they would be behind the surface
of the wall and ceiling, cover the wires in those areas with metal nailing
plates so that no one could accidentally nail into the wires, and then patch
over the those areas with plaster. If that is do-able, and if it is legal
code-wise, that would save you from having to drill holes and re-route the
wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

SethF wrote:

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the

main
room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like to

redrill
the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't exposed. There

appears
to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill through (I am assuming
this is

why
the wire comes into the room and then snakes back into the wall - to
avoid

this
beam?)
Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam?
any advice is appreciated!

Hi Thanks for replying. Here are some pictures of what i'm trying to do -

Not totally conclusive but presuming that the one is the top of the top
plate from the attic and the other is the same top plate from inside the
kitchen, with the simple caveat already noted of being certain there's
nothing else hidden where your drill's going to go, it surely appears
that's what should've been done in the first place.

Looks like inept previous homeowner addition? If so, I'd recommend
checking sizes of wiring breakers and for proper connection of
neutrals vis a vis grounds and hots and also ensure no other faux pas
like intermediary junctions or the like.

What's on these circuits and are they separate circuits and if so, why?
It's possible that perhaps the even better solution would be to simply
extend an existing circuit if they're just additional outlets altho need
to ensure what the loading/count/locations are. Likely in the kitchen
they also need GFCI now even though may not have when originally down.

So, likely the answer to the specific question asked is "yes" but
there's also likely more to the question than asked to have a complete
answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SethF wrote:

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the

main
room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like to

redrill
the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't exposed. There

appears
to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill through (I am assuming this is

why
the wire comes into the room and then snakes back into the wall - to avoid

this
beam?)
Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam?
any advice is appreciated!

Hi Thanks for replying. Here are some pictures of what i'm trying to do -

Based on those pictures it looks like you could drill the necessary
holes through the top plate and sill plate (beam) to reroute the wires
without a problem. I am assuming your "beam" is wood. As long as
your drywall is going to need some work anyway it would be best to
enlarge the holes in the drywall so you can get a better look around
the area you're going to be drilling into to make sure there are no
other wires, plumbing, phone lines, satellite cable or dead animal
carcasses you could damage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to DerbyDad03 , SethF wrote:
teamarrows wrote:

As others have mentioned, pictures would help.
I'd like to know what you mean by "exposed". Where are they exposed? In
full view of anyone in a room? I hope not!
Please explain what you mean by "exposed".

Exposed as the picture shows in the above post.
Thanks for the input.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 16:13:56 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

I am not sure, but you may be able to chisel out a couple of small channels,
push the wires back into those channels so they would be behind the surface
of the wall and ceiling, cover the wires in those areas with metal nailing
plates so that no one could accidentally nail into the wires, and then patch
over the those areas with plaster. If that is do-able, and if it is legal
code-wise, that would save you from having to drill holes and re-route the
wires.

Agree.

A 5/8" bore bit -- 45 degree hole at the 90 degree ceiling and wall.
Tuck the wire in, secure it and make the patches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the
main
room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like to

redrill
the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't exposed. There

appears
to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill through (I am assuming this
is

why
the wire comes into the room and then snakes back into the wall - to
avoid

this
beam?)
Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam?
any advice is appreciated!

Hi Thanks for replying. Here are some pictures of what i'm trying to do -

*It looks as though you removed the soffitt and found exposed wires. I have
seen that happen a few times. Just one of those surprises that comes up
during a remodeling job. If those wires were installed during the original
construction, you probably will not be able to yank them out because they
will be stapled to the side of the wood stud as it goes down the wall. You
may have to cut a few holes in the wall to free them up. However the
plaster walls and the gas pancake box tell me that this is a much older
house and the wires shown are newer. That means that the wires could have
been fished down the walls and should be able to be pulled back out.

The other possibility is to cut them and pull them up into the attic and
install an accessible junction box. Then fish down new wires from the newly
installed accessible junction box through the top plate. Leave the old
wires in the wall if you can't get them out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the
main room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like
to redrill the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't
exposed. There appears to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill
through (I am assuming this is why the wire comes into the room and then
snakes back into the wall - to avoid this beam?)

Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam?

any advice is appreciated!

BTW there is no way I would be trying to do any of that from the
attic. You have finished sheet rock to do. Make you a big work hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the
main room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like
to redrill the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't
exposed. There appears to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill
through (I am assuming this is why the wire comes into the room and then
snakes back into the wall - to avoid this beam?)

Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam?

any advice is appreciated!

BTW there is no way I would be trying to do any of that from the
attic. You have finished sheet rock to do. Make you a big work hole.

If you cut the sheet rock to half of the stud, it makes things much
easier to put back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the
main room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like
to redrill the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't
exposed. There appears to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill
through (I am assuming this is why the wire comes into the room and then
snakes back into the wall - to avoid this beam?)

Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam?

any advice is appreciated!

BTW there is no way I would be trying to do any of that from the
attic. You have finished sheet rock to do. Make you a big work hole.

If you look in the attic and choose the spot wisely you may get by
with one hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the
main room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like
to redrill the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't
exposed. There appears to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill
through (I am assuming this is why the wire comes into the room and then
snakes back into the wall - to avoid this beam?)

Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam?

any advice is appreciated!

BTW there is no way I would be trying to do any of that from the
attic. You have finished sheet rock to do. Make you a big work hole.

I gotta quit drinking so much coffee.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the
main room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like
to redrill the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't
exposed. There appears to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill
through (I am assuming this is why the wire comes into the room and then
snakes back into the wall - to avoid this beam?)

Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam?

any advice is appreciated!

BTW there is no way I would be trying to do any of that from the
attic. You have finished sheet rock to do. Make you a big work hole.

(16 inch work hole)

(Centered on 2 studs for easy reassembly.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

teamarrows wrote:

As others have mentioned, pictures would help.
I'd like to know what you mean by "exposed". Where are they exposed?
In full view of anyone in a room? I hope not!
Please explain what you mean by "exposed".

Exposed as the picture shows in the above post.
Thanks for the input.

Picture? This is not a binaries group. We don't have no stinkin' pictures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SethF wrote:

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the

main
room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like to

redrill
the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't exposed. There

appears
to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill through (I am assuming this is

why
the wire comes into the room and then snakes back into the wall - to avoid

this
beam?)
Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam?
any advice is appreciated!

Hi Thanks for replying. Here are some pictures of what i'm trying to do -

Do yourself a favor and run new wires - or re-fish those wires.
Don't drill anything but plaster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SethF wrote:

Hi Thanks for replying. Here are some pictures of what i'm trying to do -

bad links made hot

http://www.homeownershub.com/img/28

http://www.homeownershub.com/img/29

Thanks for the pics.

Totally illegal and bush-league. If you can pull the wire back up and
drill through the beam, it would be MUCH better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

om wrote:

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the
main room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like
to redrill the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't
exposed. There appears to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill
through (I am assuming this is why the wire comes into the room and then
snakes back into the wall - to avoid this beam?)

Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam?

any advice is appreciated!

BTW there is no way I would be trying to do any of that from the
attic. You have finished sheet rock to do. Make you a big work hole.

If you cut the sheet rock to half of the stud, it makes things much
easier to put back.

OR - Cut flush to the stud. Cut patch 4 inches larger in both
directions. Cut the back paper of the patch in 2 inches on all sides
and break of the rock, leaving the front paper. Butter the back of the
front paper and the edges of the rock, pop the patch in and squeegee
the overlapped paper, blend in the paper, sand lightly and repaint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85_8163@example. com wrote:

[...]

Maybe you could do that, but my sheet rock skills..............I don't
have any sheet rock skills.

That would be a pretty big hot patch. No?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the
main room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like
to redrill the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't
exposed. There appears to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill
through (I am assuming this is why the wire comes into the room and then
snakes back into the wall - to avoid this beam?)

Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam?

any advice is appreciated!

If your sheet rock skillz are really good, you can save the patch if
you overlap the studs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This method is so SIMPLE and makes a virtually invisible patch. It
works even in the middle of a panel, far from studs - fill a hole
where someone stuck a fist through the wall, where a doorknob knocked
through, or where you need to open a wall to pull a wire. - or a
ceiling to fix a plumbing leak, or whatever. Try it, and you'll never
try another way to fix a hole in drywall. I know I won't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hi,
There is you tube demo for that particular patch work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 12:44:02 PM UTC-6, SethF wrote:
In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the main room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like to redrill the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't exposed. There appears to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill through (I am assuming this is why the wire comes into the room and then snakes back into the wall - to avoid this beam?) Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam? any advice is appreciated! --

Putting/working a piece of wood slightly larger than the hole size behind the hole and screwing it to the existing sheet rock makes a good backing for a new piec of sheet rock to patch/fill the hole. Some white glue in the crack between the existing sheet rock and the patch will make future hairline cracks less likely, then apply mud and finish like any other blemish in a wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 14:14:38 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 16:13:56 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

I am not sure, but you may be able to chisel out a couple of small channels,
push the wires back into those channels so they would be behind the surface
of the wall and ceiling, cover the wires in those areas with metal nailing
plates so that no one could accidentally nail into the wires, and then patch
over the those areas with plaster. If that is do-able, and if it is legal
code-wise, that would save you from having to drill holes and re-route the
wires.

Agree.

I agree too.

A 5/8" bore bit -- 45 degree hole at the 90 degree ceiling and wall.

I don't understand this.

Tuck the wire in, secure it and make the patches.

Besides removing plaster you could notch the wood if space is needed.
maybe that's what Oren is saying.

If it is code-legal.

I ran some Romex down an outside wall, and got stuck at a fire-break.
I did what was done with your place, and 25 years later, still no
permanent repair. Not as ugly as yours, though, OP, and the sideways
part under the window I did correctly. . When I'm ready to die, I'll
let the new owners fix it.

Oh yeah, at the ceiling too, but smaller and neater than yours. I tried
for hours to drill a hole in the top plate of the wall. Soffitts only
10" or so, so roof very close to plate. I think I could do it now with
the smaller right angle drill attachment I have, and by starting with a
smaller drill bit, but anyhow, drilling in at an angle I thought I'd
succeeded when I suddenly thought, maybe the drill went through the
outside wall. And sure enough it was sticking out of the house. I
patched that with brown latex caulk that matched the house and 29 years
later, it hasn't shrunk a bit and is still unnoticeable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SethF wrote:

In our kitchen, 3 different Romex wires come down from the attic into the

main

room and then into the wall to power 3 different outlets. We'd like to

redrill

the attic holes to be behind the wall so this wire isn't exposed. There

appears

to be a ~4inch beam that we'll need to drill through (I am assuming this is

why

the wire comes into the room and then snakes back into the wall - to avoid

this

beam?)

Is this a problem to drill three small holes in the center of this beam?

any advice is appreciated!

Hi Thanks for replying. Here are some pictures of what i'm trying to do -

Do yourself a favor and run new wires - or re-fish those wires.

Don't drill anything but plaster.

Good grief.

A - It's clearly drywall, not plaster

B - Electricians drill holes in studs, top plates, etc all the time.
It's the perfectly normal way of running wire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
[...]

There also flexible bits that help in situations like this.

http://www.lashen.com/vendors/greenl...es/DVersi6.jpg

Many years ago I was running a network cable to my daughter's room. The
easiest route was down from the attic, into her closet and then out through
the bottom of the wall. It was easier to drill up through the closet
ceiling than down from the attic, so I measured everything exactly and
marked my location. The attic has plywood on the floor but not all the way
to side walls. I knew that I would feel the long drill bit drill through
the ceiling, then move freely through the joist bay and then drill through
the plywood. That's exactly what I felt...sort of.

What actually happened is that I just missed the edge of the plywood floor
and drilled through the roof sheathing. A simple cable run ended up with
the extension ladder out and me crawling on the roof with a tube of roofing
tar...in the rain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

teamarrows wrote:

As others have mentioned, pictures would help.
I'd like to know what you mean by "exposed". Where are they exposed?
In full view of anyone in a room? I hope not!
Please explain what you mean by "exposed".

Exposed as the picture shows in the above post.
Thanks for the input.

Picture? This is not a binaries group. We don't have no stinkin'
pictures.

You obviously didn't read the previous posts in this thread or you'd have
known he posted a link to the photos and not the pics themselves .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've done that ... but for a patch bigger than 6x6 or so I get better
results by screwing a piece of 1x2 lumber across the top and bottom or sides
of the hole to screw the patch to then mud & tape .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 07:41:25 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

but for a patch bigger than 6x6 or so I get better
results by screwing a piece of 1x2 lumber across the top and bottom or sides
of the hole to screw the patch to then mud & tape .

....to avoid dropping the wood piece behind the wall, tie a string
(through a hole in the wood)

Pull the piece that you dropped back up
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 13:16:01 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

micky wrote:
[...]

Sorry I had that. Forgot to mention it, but that's how I could be in the
attic and the bit was sticking a foot out of the wall 3 feet from the
top of wall.

I also had the tool that would point the bit down, even if it was curved
before entering the wall. What might have helped was a 3 foot flex bit
instead of a 6 foot one, but the 6' worked for everything else.

I could probably get it right now, the part at the ceiling, and I could
probably patch the part at the firebreak decently. Oh, well.

http://www.lashen.com/vendors/greenl...es/DVersi6.jpg

Many years ago I was running a network cable to my daughter's room. The
easiest route was down from the attic, into her closet and then out through
the bottom of the wall. It was easier to drill up through the closet
ceiling than down from the attic, so I measured everything exactly and
marked my location. The attic has plywood on the floor but not all the way
to side walls. I knew that I would feel the long drill bit drill through
the ceiling, then move freely through the joist bay and then drill through
the plywood. That's exactly what I felt...sort of.

What actually happened is that I just missed the edge of the plywood floor
and drilled through the roof sheathing. A simple cable run ended up with

LOL. As bad as me.

the extension ladder out and me crawling on the roof with a tube of roofing
tar...in the rain.

Well I ddin't know you coudl use roofing tar in the rain, so some good
came of this.

Romex wire hookup Ed Mc Home Repair 29 December 16th 09 01:40 AM
Water heater wire - conduit or romex? Jon Danniken[_2_] Home Repair 52 November 19th 09 09:57 PM
Why don't they make 4 wire Romex [email protected] Home Repair 8 May 14th 08 12:43 AM
Exposed Romex in Garage... [email protected] Home Repair 6 August 16th 06 09:34 PM
Sound insulation in floors with exposed beam ceiling below Rick UK diy 7 October 8th 05 11:53 AM