Posted to alt.home.repair

Default NiZn Batteries

I got tired of replacing teh alkaline batteries my LED flashlights
were eating so started using NiCd. Then discovered they are only 1.3
volts and don't work well and didn't last long for powering LED
flashlights.

I found there are 1.6 volt NiZn batteries and am trying them. Spec
wise it looks like a winner, lots of power, much better discharge
curve. Cost is a little higher (ebay direct from china) but no worse
then NiCds were when they became popular. Now I have a whole bunch of
AAA NiCds I have no use for....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2014 5:58 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
I got tired of replacing teh alkaline batteries my LED flashlights
were eating so started using NiCd. Then discovered they are only 1.3
volts and don't work well and didn't last long for powering LED
flashlights.

I found there are 1.6 volt NiZn batteries and am trying them. Spec
wise it looks like a winner, lots of power, much better discharge
curve. Cost is a little higher (ebay direct from china) but no worse
then NiCds were when they became popular. Now I have a whole bunch of
AAA NiCds I have no use for....

Don't throw them away just yet.
I played with NiZn AA.
Requires different charger.
Half of them wouldn't take a charge at all.
The others had high series resistance, so wouldn't
work in high drain devices.
That may work to your advantage in a non-regulated
flashlight where they depend on the series resistance.
Returned them to the store.

Maybe I just got a bad batch.

Report back when you have more history.
The technology looks interesting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2014 9:22 PM, mike wrote:
Don't throw them away just yet.
I played with NiZn AA.
Requires different charger.
Half of them wouldn't take a charge at all.
The others had high series resistance, so wouldn't
work in high drain devices.
That may work to your advantage in a non-regulated
flashlight where they depend on the series resistance.
Returned them to the store.

Maybe I just got a bad batch.

Report back when you have more history.
The technology looks interesting.

Powergenix does need its own charger. Deep
discharge will kill them, much like lead acid.
Got to charge frequently. I use a PR-2 bulb
and bit of wire to see if they are holding
charge. I've had to pitch out some of them,
but overall it's good.

My digicam works ok on precharged NiMH, if
I put fresh batteries in every couple days.

My digicam works OK with Powergenix. I'm not
sure the extra voltage is healthy, but could
be fine.

Mini Mag with LED works fine on NiMH. One watt
Teralux module.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Video showing heavy flour in AA batteries: any way for layman to testNiMH batteries? Amanda Riphnykhazova Electronics Repair 24 October 27th 13 07:33 PM
Batteries SteveB[_10_] Metalworking 2 May 20th 09 01:43 PM
What batteries to use? Aaron Fude Home Repair 36 October 30th 08 02:35 AM
JCB 24v SDS Batteries The Medway Handyman UK diy 12 September 28th 08 02:39 PM
ni-cad batteries 1ko Woodworking 26 March 27th 05 11:56 PM