Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What batteries to use?

Hi,

What are the most economical batteries to use in devices that are
rarely used, such as a label maker (e.g. 15 labels a year). I've
gathered over the years that in items like flashlights it pays to use
better brands, but what about the situation above? Are rechargables a
good idea for that?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:59:29 -0700 (PDT), Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

What are the most economical batteries to use in devices that are
rarely used, such as a label maker (e.g. 15 labels a year). I've
gathered over the years that in items like flashlights it pays to use
better brands, but what about the situation above? Are rechargables a
good idea for that?

Many thanks in advance,

Given the higher cost of rechargables and their self-discharge rate over
time, I would say that common throw-away alkaline batteries would be most
cost-effective in devices that are very rarely used, and they will stay
fresh for several years of non-use. If the device tends to sit unused
for months at a time, I would just use disposable batteries but would
not keep them in the device in case they leak during storage.

Rechargables are a better idea for devices where you have to replace the
batteries often.

--
Travis Evans
[Obtain email address by removing all Q's.]
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Travis Evans" wrote in message
Given the higher cost of rechargables and their self-discharge rate over
time, I would say that common throw-away alkaline batteries would be most
cost-effective in devices that are very rarely used, and they will stay
fresh for several years of non-use. If the device tends to sit unused
for months at a time, I would just use disposable batteries but would
not keep them in the device in case they leak during storage.

Rechargables are a better idea for devices where you have to replace the
batteries often.

Depends on the entire situation. If you have rechargables and can use them
in different units at different times they can be worth the up front cost.
Otherwise agree with you on the alkalines

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

What are the most economical batteries to use in devices that are
rarely used, such as a label maker (e.g. 15 labels a year). I've
gathered over the years that in items like flashlights it pays to use
better brands, but what about the situation above? Are rechargables a
good idea for that?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Rechargables are generally a bad choice for seldom-used items, since
Murpy's law applies- when you want to use it, the charge will have
leaked down. And if you keep it on a charger all the time without using
it, the batteries die young, not to mention you waste juice.

Life is too short, etc. Buy Duracells or similar name brand, but don't
keep them in the device unless you use it at least weekly or so. (Most
devices have a small draw even when off, and even brand names sometimes
leak when fully flat.) I keep an assortment in the junk drawer, and add
it to the grocery list when the blister packs only have a couple left.
Much cheaper in bulk packs, especially if you cut the coupon from the
Sunday paper- they are in there at least once a month. I have maybe a
dozen battery devices in semi-regular use, and spend maybe 30 bucks a
year on batteries. Don't keep too big a shelf stock, though- in my
experience those 'good until' dates on the batteries are rather optimistic.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:47:36 -0400, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Travis Evans" wrote in message
Given the higher cost of rechargables and their self-discharge rate over
time, I would say that common throw-away alkaline batteries would be most
cost-effective in devices that are very rarely used, and they will stay
fresh for several years of non-use. If the device tends to sit unused
for months at a time, I would just use disposable batteries but would
not keep them in the device in case they leak during storage.

Rechargables are a better idea for devices where you have to replace the
batteries often.

Depends on the entire situation. If you have rechargables and can use them
in different units at different times they can be worth the up front cost.
Otherwise agree with you on the alkalines

You have a point here. I often use rechargeables in my TV/VCR remotes
even though alkalines would probably theoretically be a better choice,
simply because I have lots of rechargeables and usually very few alkalines,
if any, on hand.

--
Travis Evans
[Obtain email address by removing all Q's.]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/2008 5:59 PM Aaron Fude spake thus:

What are the most economical batteries to use in devices that are
rarely used, such as a label maker (e.g. 15 labels a year). I've
gathered over the years that in items like flashlights it pays to use
better brands, but what about the situation above? Are rechargables a
good idea for that?

Read through the articles on this site:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

I think I got this from someone in this group not long ago. Lots of good
info about how batteries work, differences between different types, and
which ones are good for which applications.

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

In my own experience,Duracells LEAK far more often than Everready or Fuji
Novel.(even when -still powering- the unit.)

I will not buy Duracells any more.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
aemeijers wrote in
:

Aaron Fude wrote:

[...]

This is my experience also. Duracell batteries cause too much damage
and are not dependable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

About a year ago, I bought several Duracell NiMH rechargable cells. Use in
my digital camera, and Mini Mag flash light. I've been very pleased with
them. The folks at the local walmart say that Energizer brand work better.
Faster flash charge time. I may buy some to try out.

And with your field report about Duracell primary use alkalines. Maybe that
company has some quality control problems. I found the generic NiMH cells I
got off Ebay were poor. And a couple of them didn't hold a charge very well
at all, even when freshly charged.

For the original poster's label maker, I also suggest alkalines. I've used a
lot of Thunderbolt Magnum cells from Harbor Freight, and they have been
consistently good to me. The black and gold "Infinity beyond" cells from
ebay, the AAA cells had a lot of leakers. The AA cells have all been fine,
in Infinity Beyond brand. I got a good price, and then promptly found that
the AAA cells had a lot of leakers. About one in ten.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

In my own experience,Duracells LEAK far more often than Everready or Fuji
Novel.(even when -still powering- the unit.)

I will not buy Duracells any more.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

Discount alkalines like Panasonic, Toshiba, Thunderbolt Magnum. Should do
just fine. Ray O Vac are also very good.

I would not use rechargable cells, as they go flat on thier own, and you'd
waste more time charging them before each use.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

What are the most economical batteries to use in devices that are
rarely used, such as a label maker (e.g. 15 labels a year). I've
gathered over the years that in items like flashlights it pays to use
better brands, but what about the situation above? Are rechargables a
good idea for that?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 9:13*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
aemeijers wrote :

Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

I totally agree with Jim on DuraCells....I had them destroy a couple
of Maglights that were in cars.

I wrote ot Duracell about the problem with D cells failing & leaking
in Maglights; I hypothesised some sort of incompatibilyt iwth the
flashlights?

I've had Duracells leak in about four Maglights over the last 15
years.

This last time I got new Maglights (again) & battery vouchers.....kept
the flashlights, gave the vouchers away.

I switched to Eveready when I had two flashlight in the same vehicle;
one with Duracells, the other Eveready.

Durcells leaked, Eveready did not leak.

AF-

If you have lots of battery usage & only a few sizes...rechargeables
can be cheaper but as my battery usage fell off (no more kids' toys) I
switched back to large package purchases of Eveready alkaline (AA &
D), on sale if possible

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Boden" wrote in message

In my own experience,Duracells LEAK far more often than Everready or Fuji
Novel.(even when -still powering- the unit.)

I will not buy Duracells any more.

This is my experience also. Duracell batteries cause too much damage and
are not dependable.

I can only think of one time in the past 10+ years that I've had a battery
leak and it was not a Duracell. We use mostly Duracell at work and never
had a leak. I rate them as rather dependable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

About a year ago, I bought several Duracell NiMH rechargable cells.
Use in my digital camera, and Mini Mag flash light. I've been very
pleased with them. The folks at the local walmart say that Energizer
brand work better. Faster flash charge time. I may buy some to try
out.

The Duracell leakage I experienced was with alkalines.

And with your field report about Duracell primary use alkalines. Maybe
that company has some quality control problems. I found the generic
NiMH cells I got off Ebay were poor. And a couple of them didn't hold
a charge very well at all, even when freshly charged.

For the original poster's label maker, I also suggest alkalines. I've
used a lot of Thunderbolt Magnum cells from Harbor Freight, and they
have been consistently good to me.

I bought one box of AAA alkaline's from HF,and even the unused,stored ones
began leaking.

I prefer Fuji Novel alkalines,as the price is lower than brand name cells.
(from Big Lots stores)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

About a year ago, I bought several Duracell NiMH rechargable cells.
Use in my digital camera, and Mini Mag flash light. I've been very
pleased with them. The folks at the local walmart say that Energizer
brand work better. Faster flash charge time. I may buy some to try
out.

The Duracell leakage I experienced was with alkalines.

SM: Yes, you did write that.

For the original poster's label maker, I also suggest alkalines. I've
used a lot of Thunderbolt Magnum cells from Harbor Freight, and they
have been consistently good to me.

I bought one box of AAA alkaline's from HF,and even the unused,stored ones
began leaking.

SM: Oops! Thanks for the head up. I was going to buy some AAA cells at HF
later today.

I prefer Fuji Novel alkalines,as the price is lower than brand name cells.
(from Big Lots stores)

SM: Friend of mine likes Dollar General. I may try them. He says their AA
cells are five bucks for 24 cells, which is a very good price.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

What are the most economical batteries to use in devices that are
rarely used, such as a label maker (e.g. 15 labels a year). I've
gathered over the years that in items like flashlights it pays to use
better brands, but what about the situation above? Are rechargables a
good idea for that?

The new rechargeables that keep their charge like regular alkalines
(long shelf life, unlike ordinary rechargeables), would be a good
idea. Hybrio is one brand, there are several now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

What are the most economical batteries to use in devices that are
rarely used, such as a label maker (e.g. 15 labels a year). I've
gathered over the years that in items like flashlights it pays to use
better brands, but what about the situation above? Are rechargables a
good idea for that?

The new rechargeables that keep their charge like regular alkalines
(long shelf life, unlike ordinary rechargeables), would be a good
idea. Hybrio is one brand, there are several now.

Sorry that I am comming into this thread so late....BUT I am a
Backyard astronomer who uses a Goto computerized Scope that can be
powered by AA Batteries...

According to those in the know (not me) RECHARGABLES just do not
work...

The claim is that 8 rechargable AA's only put out a total of 9.6 v not
when freshly charge not the 12 V that the regular AA's put out... so
while the rechargables will work for 10 minutes when the voltage even
drops a hair all hell breaks loose because the scope dances all over
the sky ... instead of slewing to Jupiter or some specific target...

Not that it makes any difference because everyone runs off a 12 V Gel
cell battery or regulated power supply anyway... BUT is it really true
that a rechargable AA does not puty out a full 1.5 V when freshly
charged...

Bob G

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to those in the know (not me) RECHARGABLES just do not
work...

The claim is that 8 rechargable AA's only put out a total of 9.6 v not
when freshly charge not the 12 V that the regular AA's put out... so
while the rechargables will work for 10 minutes when the voltage even
drops a hair all hell breaks loose because the scope dances all over
the sky ... instead of slewing to Jupiter or some specific target...

Not that it makes any difference because everyone runs off a 12 V Gel
cell battery or regulated power supply anyway... BUT is it really true
that a rechargable AA does not puty out a full 1.5 V when freshly
charged...

Bob G

According to those who know the rechargeable low self discharge
NIMH batteries that are usually termed hybrid will work in most
applications.

The exception is your example above. In that case and some others
the electronics were designed for 1.5 volt alkaline's and the circuit
will deliberately shut down or malfunction if it doesn't see the
expected voltage.

Most circuits are not designed to be so voltage sensitive. The NIMH
AA's have plenty of power down to about 1.15 volts per cell. Most
simple battery operated devices will work at this voltage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob G. rg327_remove_comcast.net writes:

According to those in the know (not me) RECHARGABLES just do not
work...

The claim is that 8 rechargable AA's only put out a total of 9.6 v not
when freshly charge not the 12 V that the regular AA's put out... so
while the rechargables will work for 10 minutes when the voltage even
drops a hair all hell breaks loose because the scope dances all over
the sky ... instead of slewing to Jupiter or some specific target...

That's only true of badly-designed electronics. Alkalines are 1.5 V
when new, but drop to 1.0 V or lower at the end of their life, depending
on load. Any well-designed electronic device intended to operate from
alkalines ought to operate down to 1.0 volts per cell, or at least 1.1 V
per cell. Any device that doesn't operate at this voltage is leaving
a substantial amount of energy in the batteries when it shuts down or
begins to malfunction.

Rechargeable NiCd and NiMH cells drop quickly to 1.2 V per cell, and
then *remain at that voltage* until they are almost completely
discharged. Since this is above the cutoff voltage that should have
been designed in for alkalines, rechargeables work fine in almost
well-designed electronics. In the case of 8 cells in series, alkalines
supply 8-12 V, so the electronics ought to work properly on 8 V, and the
9.6 V supplied by rechargeables is well above this limit.

(There are sometimes problems with rechargeables working too well -
their lower internal resistance means they can deliver several times as
much current into a low-resistance load as an alkaline cell of the same
size. Some electronics built assuming the alkaline cell's internal
resistance is part of the circuit can be overloaded and burned out when
rechargeables are used instead (e.g. certain cheap electronic flashes
from 30 years ago). And battery packs with NiCd or NiMH cells need a
fuse or circuit breaker if there's any chance of the terminals being
shorted, while an akaline pack does not.)

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

Have some fun, put some nonrechargables in a battery charger and see
what happens... Great family fun..!

Posted to alt.home.repair

rechargeables are for frequent-use items(due to self-discharge rates)

Not any more. Revised NIMH technology puts a premium on low self
discharge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Off the topic of labellers, the old CB walkie talkies used to have a dummy
cell which replaced 2 AA cells. If you used rechargables, you use 10
batteries. For alkalines, you use 8 batteries, and a dummy insert.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob G." rg327_remove_comcast.net wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Oct 1, 11:01*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
=
Not that it makes any difference because everyone runs off a 12 V Gel
cell battery or regulated power supply anyway... BUT is it really true
that a rechargable AA does not puty out a full 1.5 V when freshly
charged...

Bob G

yeah. because it's different chemistry. The voltage between any two
substances depends on the two substances, basically the difference
between each of them's attraction for electrons. carbon and zinc, you
get 1.5 volts. nickel and cadmium, 1.25. etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Oct 3, 1:27*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 10/1/2008 5:53 PM spake thus:

Have some fun, put some nonrechargables in a battery charger and see
what happens... Great family fun..!

I assume you're referring to that oft-repeated claim that you must Never
Ever Put Non-Rechargeable Batteries In A Charger, printed on all
batteries and chargers. Or else they'll explode and destroy your house
and kill all its occupants.

Not true. I'm here to tell you that I've been recharging
non-rechargeables (alkalines, mostly) in my chargers for decades now.
The worst that happens is that a cell will leak; this isn't the end of
the world, and my charger still works even though that's happened to it
several times.

I'm not recommending this, as it only gives a weak charge at best, but
it will often restore a marginal cell to working capacity for at least a
little while.

The AAAs in my remote are Duracell alkalines that I've recharged several
times, and they're still working great. I'm guessing this is because the
remote draws so little current that it doesn't take much juice to
satisfy it.

--
* Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the

- Paulo Freire

yeah, before rechargables became as popular as they are, we nerdy
people used to "recharge" carbon zinc and alkalines fairly often,
either with special gadgets or just homebrew items. unlike
rechargables, when regular batteries "die", they're not usually
exhausted chemically; but hydrogen builds up inside and the bubbles
collect around whichever electrode, and that kind of impedes the
current flow. so you reverse the polarity and drive the hydrogen off
the electrode and you're back in business. a lot of that chemical guck
that's inside the battery is in order to reduce the hydrogen
formation.

As you say, the only downside is that if it overheats from running too
much current too long, the expansion will make it spring a leak. i
can't imagine what you'd have to try to charge it with to cause it to
blow up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Please be more careful with your quoted text. I didn't write that, nor is my
name Bob G.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"z" wrote in message
On Oct 1, 11:01 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
=
Not that it makes any difference because everyone runs off a 12 V Gel
cell battery or regulated power supply anyway... BUT is it really true
that a rechargable AA does not puty out a full 1.5 V when freshly
charged...

Bob G

Posted to alt.home.repair

Decades ago, my Dad had a charger for reinflating carbon zinc cells. The
batteries weren't worth much, and the charger didn't help much either.

To explode a battery, do you need a defibrillator? 400 watt seconds! CLEAR!
Rampart, we have battery explosion. Treating with sterile water rinse. What?
D5W TKO?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"z" wrote in message

yeah, before rechargables became as popular as they are, we nerdy
people used to "recharge" carbon zinc and alkalines fairly often,
either with special gadgets or just homebrew items. unlike
rechargables, when regular batteries "die", they're not usually
exhausted chemically; but hydrogen builds up inside and the bubbles
collect around whichever electrode, and that kind of impedes the
current flow. so you reverse the polarity and drive the hydrogen off
the electrode and you're back in business. a lot of that chemical guck
that's inside the battery is in order to reduce the hydrogen
formation.

As you say, the only downside is that if it overheats from running too
much current too long, the expansion will make it spring a leak. i
can't imagine what you'd have to try to charge it with to cause it to
blow up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Please be more careful with your quoted text. I didn't write that, nor is my
name Bob G.

Please STOP ****ing TOP-POSTING, as you've been asked to do 1000 times,
and maybe quoting you would be easier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2008 10:39 PM Smitty Two spake thus:

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Please be more careful with your quoted text. I didn't write that, nor is my
name Bob G.

Please STOP ****ing TOP-POSTING, as you've been asked to do 1000 times,
and maybe quoting you would be easier.

I'd be happy if he'd set up his newsreader (Outhouse Express) so it
doesn't put everything below his top-posted reply into his *sig*.

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 22:39:03 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Please be more careful with your quoted text. I didn't write that, nor is my
name Bob G.

Please STOP ****ing TOP-POSTING, as you've been asked to do 1000 times,
and maybe quoting you would be easier.

The problem isn't top-posting itself, but the location of the sig in
the post (it should come after the original text and quoted text).
Also, identifying quoted text (such as with the usual '') would help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I buy my batteries at costco -- and use their own brand.

Seem fine to me.

Never leaked so far.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 8:59*pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

What are the most economical batteries to use in devices that are
rarely used, such as a label maker (e.g. 15 labels a year). I've
gathered over the years that in items like flashlights it pays to use
better brands, but what about the situation above? Are rechargables a
good idea for that?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

I would suggest not leaving batteries in them. Keep a supply of
alkaline batteries of the sizes you need and then just put them in the
devices when they are being used. The slight inconvenience will be
small compared to the cost of dead batteries and the possible damage
due to leakage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

No. Rechargeables are not a good idea for infrequently used items.
Rechargeables have a shorter shelf life than non-rechargeable batteries.
Rechargeables are good for cameras, r/c equipment, etc, anything with
frequent use, but they don't 'outlive' regular batteries. For example, you
should never use rechargeables in home fire detectors. They just don't have
as long a shelf life before they begin to loose their charge.

wrote:
On Sep 28, 8:59 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

What are the most economical batteries to use in devices that are
rarely used, such as a label maker (e.g. 15 labels a year). I've
gathered over the years that in items like flashlights it pays to use
better brands, but what about the situation above? Are rechargables a
good idea for that?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

I would suggest not leaving batteries in them. Keep a supply of
alkaline batteries of the sizes you need and then just put them in the
devices when they are being used. The slight inconvenience will be
small compared to the cost of dead batteries and the possible damage
due to leakage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Alkaline is the better choice.
Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com

JCB 24v SDS Batteries The Medway Handyman UK diy 12 September 28th 08 03:39 PM
Batteries Gimpy Home Repair 4 March 17th 07 04:15 AM
14.4v batteries David Lang UK diy 4 July 16th 05 01:35 PM
ni-cad batteries 1ko Woodworking 26 March 28th 05 12:56 AM