Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default JCB 24v SDS Batteries

Started using my £20 JCB 24v for a few jobs.

On a fully charged (according to the light on the charger) battery I drilled
about 6 x 6mm holes and the battery ran down to the point where the drill
suddenly stopped - seemed like some kind of cut-out operated. 5 mins later
it could be re started & I drilled another 2 holes - then it stopped again.

Would it have some kind of low power cut-out? None of my other battery
stuff has one.

It has a 'battery level indicator' on the back of the drill which showed
100% charged at the start & 80% charged when it stopped = not sure if these
things are at all accurate, seems like a gimmick to me.

Trouble is I have no experience of battery SDS drills, so I don't know if
this is usual for a battery SDS? I would have expected to drill more than
8 - 10 holes on a charge? What would a 24v brand name do on a charge?

Could be that the batteries are going through the initial stage where they
won't hold a charge until they have been charged/discharged a few times - is
this likely?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

For your information mine is exactly the same. Like you I've not used
it enough to tell if the situation will improve. I have a JCB 240V drill
which has been one of the hardest tools I have ever owned. I was hopeing
the battery version might have been of similar stock

Allan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Started using my £20 JCB 24v for a few jobs.

On a fully charged (according to the light on the charger) battery I
drilled about 6 x 6mm holes and the battery ran down to the point where
the drill suddenly stopped - seemed like some kind of cut-out operated.
5 mins later it could be re started & I drilled another 2 holes - then
it stopped again.

Would it have some kind of low power cut-out? None of my other battery
stuff has one.

More likely an overheat cutoff on the drill motor.

--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I had a JCB jigsaw (230v) and it's probably the only tool I have ever thrown
away BEFORE it broke or wore out!

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We told you so!

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....9 b4cafdf52a3

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Started using my £20 JCB 24v for a few jobs.

On a fully charged (according to the light on the charger) battery I
drilled about 6 x 6mm holes and the battery ran down to the point where
the drill suddenly stopped - seemed like some kind of cut-out operated.
5 mins later it could be re started & I drilled another 2 holes - then
it stopped again.

Perhaps you now know why it was returned...

--
*Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Started using my £20 JCB 24v for a few jobs.

Trouble is I have no experience of battery SDS drills, so I don't know if
this is usual for a battery SDS? I would have expected to drill more than
8 - 10 holes on a charge? What would a 24v brand name do on a charge?

No exaggeration, I can use my Dewalt 18v SDS for 50+ holes of 7mm, as
well as a 40mm hole through double brick - I know as I did it last
Friday when fitting out a bathroom and new skirting in a living room.
I've got 2 batteries, and expected to use them both, but havent changed
it since that morning, and also did another 10 or so 7mm holes in brick
yesterday.
The 18v Dewalt recip saw is another thing though. 20 minutes at best
when cutting tree branches.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Started using my £20 JCB 24v for a few jobs.

Trouble is I have no experience of battery SDS drills, so I don't know if
this is usual for a battery SDS? I would have expected to drill more
than
8 - 10 holes on a charge? What would a 24v brand name do on a charge?

No exaggeration, I can use my Dewalt 18v SDS for 50+ holes of 7mm, as
well as a 40mm hole through double brick - I know as I did it last
Friday when fitting out a bathroom and new skirting in a living room.
I've got 2 batteries, and expected to use them both, but havent changed
it since that morning, and also did another 10 or so 7mm holes in brick
yesterday.
The 18v Dewalt recip saw is another thing though. 20 minutes at best
when cutting tree branches.
Alan.

Its not the battery by the sounds of things.
I bet if you were to set a slow speed on your DeWalt it would behave in a
similar way.
When running at less than full speed there is nothing to blow the heat out
as the fan is usually on the motor shaft.
There are some fan cooled models that have a separate motor for the fan just
to avoid this problem.
Not that I would say TMH was running it too slow but the speed controller or
thermal switch might be FU.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
We told you so!

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....9 b4cafdf52a3

Yerbut this only cost me a score!

The 4 x SDS bits & the SDS/Jacbs adaptor are worth that.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Started using my £20 JCB 24v for a few jobs.

On a fully charged (according to the light on the charger) battery I
drilled about 6 x 6mm holes and the battery ran down to the point
where the drill suddenly stopped - seemed like some kind of cut-out
operated. 5 mins later it could be re started & I drilled another 2
holes - then it stopped again.

Perhaps you now know why it was returned...

Thats the odd thing, it has clearly never been used, not a mark anywhere,
not a scrap of dust, all the packaging pristine.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Started using my £20 JCB 24v for a few jobs.

Trouble is I have no experience of battery SDS drills, so I don't
know if this is usual for a battery SDS? I would have expected to
drill more than 8 - 10 holes on a charge? What would a 24v brand
name do on a charge?

No exaggeration, I can use my Dewalt 18v SDS for 50+ holes of 7mm, as
well as a 40mm hole through double brick - I know as I did it last
Friday when fitting out a bathroom and new skirting in a living room.
I've got 2 batteries, and expected to use them both, but havent
changed it since that morning, and also did another 10 or so 7mm
holes in brick yesterday.
The 18v Dewalt recip saw is another thing though. 20 minutes at best
when cutting tree branches.

Obviously a different class of machine entirely. I'd be happy with a
quarter of that for £20 though :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
wrote:
We told you so!

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....9 b4cafdf52a3

Yerbut this only cost me a score!

Sounds like it was worth it (just)! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Could be that the batteries are going through the initial stage where they
won't hold a charge until they have been charged/discharged a few times - is
this likely?

That's a possibility, but such a poor showing as new isn't good at all.
If the body of the drill is of reasonable quality it might be worth your
while re-celling the packs.
Fwiw, my Bosch 12V SDS, when the batteries were newish, could do at
least four 1/2" x 2" deep holes into concrete per charge, or ~20 6mm
holes, or dozens of screws.
I've now got some decent cells to have a go at re-celling mine and I'm
thinking of using a car portable power pack as a 12V wired supply fed
into the remaining empty battery case used as a power plug.

I'll give you a fiver for it.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House

Car Batteries Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 49 February 3rd 08 04:07 AM
New Batteries Weatherlawyer UK diy 19 January 19th 08 03:23 PM
Batteries Gimpy Home Repair 4 March 17th 07 03:15 AM
Batteries David Lang UK diy 15 August 1st 05 08:24 AM
ni-cad batteries 1ko Woodworking 26 March 27th 05 11:56 PM